The Student Room Group

Aston Vs. King's College London...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
AmyR123
I have received conditional offers from
Aston- English Language
King's college london- English Language and Communication

After a discussion with a family relative earlier on in the week, he said to me King's would be better going to because it's a very good/reputable university
Initially, I was going to choose Aston for its placement year which hardly any other unis offer for English.

overall...would employers value placement year or a better uni in london more?

I'm so confused...I don't know what to choose anymore :frown:

Help appreciated :smile:
Thanks

Kings, but if you read sometimes on the news they have mentioned how employers are looking for graduates with experience... which then i think Aston would be better check the job prospects for both if I were you,.
Reply 21
analk
Kings, but if you read sometimes on the news they have mentioned how employers are looking for graduates with experience... which then i think Aston would be better check the job prospects for both if I were you,.

According to the timesonline
Kings - is number 9 out of a list of 20 for high graduate employment
with 84.4%

Aston- number 14- 81.4 %
Reply 22
AmyR123
with 84.4%

Aston- number 14- 81.4 %

IF I were still in your situation then from those stats I probably would go with KINGS at least you will have a renowned degree from a university in London.
Reply 23
AmyR123
I have received conditional offers from
Aston- English Language
King's college london- English Language and Communication

After a discussion with a family relative earlier on in the week, he said to me King's would be better going to because it's a very good/reputable university
Initially, I was going to choose Aston for its placement year which hardly any other unis offer for English.

overall...would employers value placement year or a better uni in london more?

I'm so confused...I don't know what to choose anymore :frown:

Help appreciated :smile:
Thanks

gotta be KCL - better reputation by far
Reply 24
AmyR123
with 84.4%

Aston- number 14- 81.4 %

gotta be carefull with those stats though..
what is the nature of this "placement"?
Reply 26
littleshambles
what is the nature of this "placement"?

http://www1.aston.ac.uk/eas/placement-year/
kings!!! well done on the offer :smile:

That's for the Engineering department, not the English department?

You mean http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/undergraduate/year-abroad-placements/non-language/ I presume

Well it's very vague but I'd ask what kind of placements you can get before deciding. If you can get a placement, say, at a publisher's or a newspaper or something it could be very valuable and I would seriously consider it. Equally if you wanted to go abroad and would be given language tuition to do so I would consider that too.

Edit: However it seems you have to apply for a placement and it is not always certain you will get one or the one you want, so I'd take that risk into account as well, which would lean me personally more towards King's.
Reply 29
crazyappleie
kings!!! well done on the offer :smile:

thank you :smile: good luck for your offer :smile:
Reply 30
littleshambles
That's for the Engineering department, not the English department?

You mean http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/undergraduate/year-abroad-placements/non-language/ I presume

Well it's very vague but I'd ask what kind of placements you can get before deciding. If you can get a placement, say, at a publisher's or a newspaper or something it could be very valuable and I would seriously consider it. Equally if you wanted to go abroad and would be given language tuition to do so I would consider that too.

Edit: However it seems you have to apply for a placement and it is not always certain you will get one or the one you want, so I'd take that risk into account as well, which would lean me personally more towards King's.

Oops ...that's the one I meant lol.
Thanks, I understand where you're coming from I shall look into it more :smile:
AmyR123
thank you :smile: good luck for your offer :smile:

thanks, the wait is so crappy! i wish they'd hurry up, hmm must stay cool :cool:
Kings College London!!!!!
Aston :-p slightly biased though!

I think I've replied to one of your thread before but definitely go where you feel most comfortable... don't just go somewhere because other's want you to go there or for prestige etc.

Make sure you go to both of the open days, including subject specific ones if you get offered them, ask lots of questions and decide which one you feel suits you more and ticks the boxes of what you want to get from the degree/experience.

As for the placement year, I'm on mine at the moment for English and to be honest there's no boundaries whatsoever to what kind of placement you can do for English at Aston. I'm doing market research (and also applied for PR and marketing placements), some other people I know are teaching in South Korea for the year, working for charities, working for newspapers/publishers and others in more business focussed roles.

Personally I think a placement year is very valuable experience but if it's not for you then it's not for you.
Reply 34
The main question is...which would be more valuable to an employer?
Showing you have experience
or
Showing you've come from a really good university

Hmmmmm
Reply 35
gillipies
Aston :-p slightly biased though!

I think I've replied to one of your thread before but definitely go where you feel most comfortable... don't just go somewhere because other's want you to go there or for prestige etc.

Make sure you go to both of the open days, including subject specific ones if you get offered them, ask lots of questions and decide which one you feel suits you more and ticks the boxes of what you want to get from the degree/experience.

As for the placement year, I'm on mine at the moment for English and to be honest there's no boundaries whatsoever to what kind of placement you can do for English at Aston. I'm doing market research (and also applied for PR and marketing placements), some other people I know are teaching in South Korea for the year, working for charities, working for newspapers/publishers and others in more business focussed roles.

Personally I think a placement year is very valuable experience but if it's not for you then it's not for you.

Thank you ....that was very helpful.
Tbh my main concern is which is more beneficial to me/which would employers find more valuable

Previous experience or a top university?

:smile:
I got my offer for that course on Wednesday too. BBB. :smile:
I'm currently having a bit of a uni dilemma too haha.

Look at the course content document that comes with your offer email. Compare it to Aston's and see what you prefer. See if there are any topics that you like/dislike that one of them has or doesn't have.
I think, putting the prestige of it being King's College aside, you ought to consider the strength and reputation of the department itself. If you are planning on getting a job in linguistic research for example, having got your degree from King's College would probably be more credible that Aston, even though you had a placement from Aston, as the institution you would want to work for would be knowledgable about the strength of each universities linguistics department. I don't know if I've explained it clearly, but just something to think about.

all the best :smile:
I applied to kings too, for english language and communication but haven't heard back yet. Just wondered if anyone whose got an offer could tell me when they sent their application and what their AS grades were? thankyou!
Reply 38
AmyR123
Thank you ....that was very helpful.
Tbh my main concern is which is more beneficial to me/which would employers find more valuable

Previous experience or a top university?

:smile:

Depends on the job hun. Some firms such as the big 4 employ everyone from Oxford to Kingston, some like Goldman Sachs are highly selective, targeting only those at the top 6 Unis, a few make it from the next 10 Unis but after that it's a struggle with only a few Unis being on the radar for Goldman Sachs!
these things take time
I applied for this course too, hopefully the people who have been accepted can answer your question. I live near you, in Northwich :smile:

Hi, where do you already have offers from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending