The Student Room Group

Anyone attend Architecture at Strathclyde University?

I think thats where i want to go next year, i've applied so i'll just need to wait and see what happens!

I've hardly saw it mentioned on the forums, has anyone attended?...how did you find it?

What were the studios like?...were they 24hr studios?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
same! got an interview on the 3rd of feb , but i don't know anything about the uni :s-smilie: glasgow as a city seems pretty decent so i have hope :smile:
Reply 2
sg2009
same! got an interview on the 3rd of feb , but i don't know anything about the uni :s-smilie: glasgow as a city seems pretty decent so i have hope :smile:

Are you applying from a Scottish school?...when did they give you the interview?

Also, are they asking for a portfolio?
Reply 3
Nope, from yorkshire. they sent me a letter just before xmas to ring up and book an interview time, so i chose after exams, and yeah to a portfolio, 10-12 pieces - i really don't have enough !
Reply 4
sg2009
Nope, from yorkshire. they sent me a letter just before xmas to ring up and book an interview time, so i chose after exams, and yeah to a portfolio, 10-12 pieces - i really don't have enough !

ohhhhh ****, i didnt really think my portfolio through that well and i am bricking it now!

What where your grades like at school?
I really need to get my act together for this folio!
Reply 5
Didn't do too great last year, got BBCC, and only predicted 3B's this year :s-smilie:
But I did sent a 5 piece portfolio to Lincoln and got an offer :smile: but 5 is alot less than 12 :frown:
Reply 6
sg2009
Didn't do too great last year, got BBCC, and only predicted 3B's this year :s-smilie:
But I did sent a 5 piece portfolio to Lincoln and got an offer :smile: but 5 is alot less than 12 :frown:

Yeah.

Question, is the 5pieces like individual drawings or A1/2 sheets of drawings?
Reply 7
it was digital so i had 3 A2 pieces of Product Design c/w, another sheet of photogrpahy then an A3 drawing
Reply 8
i have an interview on the 17th of feb
i am so nervous already though
and i have nothing for my portfolio, cause i was planning on using my art stuff but that won't be finished!!
Reply 9
you can take unfinished work to the portfolio in fact I'd recommend this, shows you have work in progress and it's something to talk about. Strathclyde is far better than Lincoln in my opinion. The scottish schools are really quite good architecture wise. Have a look at The Lighthouse as well and Royal institue for scottish architects.

ECA is merging with Edinburgh university- this might be worth considering. If you have an ace portfolio you can bargain the grades (a bit like dragons den) if they offer you a place on the day that is. Play your chances (worked for me). They go we like your work, you go I like the unviersity, then say well can we negotiate the offer? (Only do this if you know you need them to drop the offer). And do this with caution. haha. But altogether I think Scotland is the a fantastic place to study architecture.
Reply 10
ArchiBoi

ECA is merging with Edinburgh university- this might be worth considering. If you have an ace portfolio you can bargain the grades (a bit like dragons den) if they offer you a place on the day that is. Play your chances (worked for me). They go we like your work, you go I like the unviersity, then say well can we negotiate the offer? (Only do this if you know you need them to drop the offer). And do this with caution. haha. But altogether I think Scotland is the a fantastic place to study architecture.

i DO need them to lower the grades, but i think i'd feel way too cheeky bargaining with them! haha
Reply 11
Im doing my PG DIP/Master at Strathclyde... 6years down... woop! Any questions fire my direction... :-)
Reply 12
Arch12345
Im doing my PG DIP/Master at Strathclyde... 6years down... woop! Any questions fire my direction... :-)

Hi Arch12345, Ive got an interview for strathclyde to do architecture in two weeks time and have no idea what to do for my portfolio! i know they want 10-12 pieces but i dont know what to do, so far ive drawn some real life, and ive already got loads of cad etc. I dont think my school will have any of my work from my higher art because it was two years ago! please help :smile:
Ah! everyones getting interviews for Strathclyde. I had to send a portfolio to them on a CD but ive heard nothing about an interview...

Anyone know when I will hear anything?
Dougie

UCL: Interview
GSA: Interview
Dundee: Conditonal
Strathclyde: Portfolio sent
Edinburgh: acknowledged
Reply 14
dundee is better than strathclyde in my opinion. so don't worry yourself too much.
Reply 15
Hi, Im in my second year at Strathclyde, generally I'd say the teaching is excellent. The faculty pretty much across the board are really passionate about their subject and genuinely care about your success.

As you may have read elsewhere it's much better to have tutors who are practising architects and apart from the head of department (Mike Angus, regularly gets standing ovations at his lectures), and a couple of others (Barnabas Calder's another top lecturer), pretty much all the faculty work in practice. The school has a remarkably high graduate employment rate for an architecture course, I'd imagine this is because of it's links with Glasgow practices (who tend to be pretty good btw). Another reason may be that there is a certain amount of focus on the technical side of things, you don't see many theoretical buildings, pavillions etc. after first year like you might at the AA, you'll learn how to properly detail a building.

The other thing I'd say about the department is that they dont try to impose any particular style upon you and encourage you to be self critical. They are very, VERY big on context however (I think that might be a Glasgow thing), I can't imagine Gehry ever passing a review as a student here. The other thing that continues to surprise me is how well the heads of years get to know their students, they are really aware of each individual's strengths and weaknesses which is fantastic. Also, you get to verbally present your work and argue your case at review, at some of the bigger schools you pin up your work and then wait for your mark, which I can't imagine is great preparation for working with clients. They've got fairly good international links and there's a lot of choice for going on exchange in third year (provided you've done well in second year, no resits). The studio is open from 8am -10pm, but it's not such a big problem as after first year most people choose to work from home on drawings.

BTW regarding portfolio, I'm amazed how much focus there is on having work to do with architecture. The truth is any architectural work you have is likely to be fairly crap at this stage, the thing all schools like to see more than anything else is life drawings, they show the ability to observe with sensitivity, so I'd pack my portfolio with life drawings, and then some other work that demonstrates creativity (this can be literally be in any medium, though if you've got the skills quality perspective drawings would be ace).

I'm not originally from Glasgow but it seems a top city in which to study architecture, there are plenty of good examples of it and it's seems to be something that is quite ingrained in the public consciousness, the Lighthouse is great too. The uni is pretty much bang in the middle of the city too so there's always stuff to do (i.e. drinking).

My only real gripes about the department are that it can sometimes feel like there is inconsistency in the marking when it comes to review. Different tutors have different expectations, different interpretations of the marking system so a merit from one panel might not be quite the same as a merit from another, so it can seem like much depends on who is marking you, obviously moderation compensates for this a touch. Though if they can see you've put the work in you'll get a good mark. We've recently made the head of department aware of this so we'll see if it improves. I don't know if this is a problem at other schools. That said when it comes to your graduate portfolio the people interviewing you will probably have a different opinion to whoever was marking you anyway. As much of the department is run by architects the admin can also sometimes be a bit poor.

To be totally honest I don't think it really matters where you study architecture, look at how many 'starchitects' have been self taught, e.g. Foster, Ando. It's such a personal thing, so much depends on how much work you put in, at the end of the day if you research precedents (not just google images), read essays, give the subject sufficient thought and put in the hours you'll develop well enough, your teachers are really there to occasionally give you a prod in the right direction. I was once told that architecture isn't really a degree it's an apprenticeship, a craft that you learn, I'm inclined to agree.

P.S. another really important factor is the nature of the briefs given to you, I believe Peter Salter has had a quite a big influence on the briefs given to us which is a really good thing. I had heard the reason for the relative decline of the GSA is that their students don't progress fast enough, for example in third year when most schools will be doing master planning they are still doing residential projects, however I may be wrong.

P.P.S. This is a top student project from Strathclyde, gotten some recognition http://www.bdonline.co.uk/student/class-of/six-graduate-entries-chosen-for-bd%E2%80%99s-class-of-2010/5002845.article
Reply 16
Hi, im entering strathclyde to continue my study in architecture on this coming september intake. Im Indonesian, and i just graduated from Malaysia. Unfortunately Strathclyde wants me to repeat my 3rd year in order to get RIBA Part 1, and they just sent me CAS statement for my visa application. Would anyone suggest me in terms of accommodation? Where is the best place to live for architecture student there? Thank you, and i look forward to join you guys soon!
Reply 17
Well most of the first years stay pretty much on campus, but it's very unlikely that as a 3rd year you'd get accommodation there. There are a number of private halls very close, UNITE Blackfriars is ridiculously close and very convenient, seeing as you're from Indonesia there is also a largish asian community there. Liberty House is ok and that's also close, but it's more of an individual room than blackfriars where you'll share a flat with upto 4 others. There are plenty of flats about the merchant city available for rent, ideal if you can find a flatmate, if you've got the cash there are some really nice flats, but some cheaper ones too. Another place you can look is in the charing cross area. I'll be in 3rd year next year too so pm me if you want to get in touch.
Reply 18
i have 2 pending offers, one's from strathclyde and the other from kent. which one's better?
Reply 19
Im applying in Strathclyde architecture this year....for 2015 entry

Do you know if they ask portfolio or make interview or both?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending