The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the information, it's a real pain though, I'm not exactly to sure how I will be getting to school in the new year now, all transport costs the same :confused:
I'm in year 12 and just started receiving EMA. When it comes to year 13 will I need to reapply again and send of all them tax forms and that or will it start again automatically?

And say I miss a day off school this week (I feel really ill!) but my parent authorises it with a letter, does that mean I wont recieve the weeks payments? :frown: I really need the money but ahh I'm sick.
Reply 182
explosiive
I'm in year 12 and just started receiving EMA. When it comes to year 13 will I need to reapply again and send of all them tax forms and that or will it start again automatically?

And say I miss a day off school this week (I feel really ill!) but my parent authorises it with a letter, does that mean I wont recieve the weeks payments? :frown: I really need the money but ahh I'm sick.

1. Yes, you need to apply again in year 13.

2. You will still get EMA if your absence is authorised, but in my college you are only allowed to authorise 2 absences a term, in order to get EMA. I don't know if this is only my college's policy or EMA's.
Reply 183
How much money does a student get for two years of A-level study from EMA (Roughly):
if they recieve the full EMA i.e £30 a week
If they recieve all the bonuses
And have no unauthorised absenses etc.

I'd like to know, to compare to the yearly grant that you get for higher education whilst at uni.

Anybody know?
Well, 6 terms of ~8 weeks each? £1440.
5 £100 bonuses £500
£1940 or thereabouts by my reckoning
Reply 185
I'm in year 12 now and I had applied for the EMA during the last summer holidays. They received it, but needed more info etc. and this continued for many weeks, and the entire form was only completed and accepted about 2 weeks ago.

(The main problem was due to my dad being self employed, so getting income figures were difficult, as they don't accept estimates and he hasn't completed his first year of business yet.)

My mum rang up to check if we would get the payments I'm currently missing out on back dated a few weeks ago. They said we would, but after only just receiving the letter of confirmation during half term I talked to my EMA person at school and she said that I wouldn't. I then told her about the situation and she said she's not completely sure.

Has anyone had the same or similar thing happen to them? And if so, did you get the missing payments?

Thanks.
JjrShah
I'm in year 12 now and I had applied for the EMA during the last summer holidays. They received it, but needed more info etc. and this continued for many weeks, and the entire form was only completed and accepted about 2 weeks ago.

(The main problem was due to my dad being self employed, so getting income figures were difficult, as they don't accept estimates and he hasn't completed his first year of business yet.)

My mum rang up to check if we would get the payments I'm currently missing out on back dated a few weeks ago. They said we would, but after only just receiving the letter of confirmation during half term I talked to my EMA person at school and she said that I wouldn't. I then told her about the situation and she said she's not completely sure.

Has anyone had the same or similar thing happen to them? And if so, did you get the missing payments?

Thanks.

one of my friends was in a similar situation last year, same with self-employed parents etc.
That actually took until January to sort out, and she still got everything back-paid (bet that was a good day...) so I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
Hey.
I didn't apply for EMA yet but I heard if I keep my attendance up, I will be granted all the money owed to me?
Reply 188
i should NEVER of clicked that link.....
Sephirona
Hey.
I didn't apply for EMA yet but I heard if I keep my attendance up, I will be granted all the money owed to me?

not true, you only get 4 weeks (I think) back-dated, and the application has to be processed before October.
If you're eligible, why on earth didn't you apply?
bruisepristine
not true, you only get 4 weeks (I think) back-dated, and the application has to be processed before October.
If you're eligible, why on earth didn't you apply?

It took 4 weeks for me to get a bankaccount. Are you sure about the 4 weeks thing? Because I remember my friend getting around £500 owed to him.
Also, they kept on sending me forms I had to fill in. This is way too long.:mad:
Sephirona
It took 4 weeks for me to get a bankaccount. Are you sure about the 4 weeks thing? Because I remember my friend getting around £500 owed to him.
Also, they kept on sending me forms I had to fill in. This is way too long.:mad:

but you should have got your EMA documents sent off before the summer holidays :confused: I seem to remember doing mine around May/June or so; surely you had enough notice to open a bank account?
And even if you didn't do anything until the beginning of September, that's now been 8 weeks.

I've heard of instances of people having to wait longer than 4 weeks and still getting everything, but that's always been because of administration issues. If you haven't even applied they're not going to back-date everything. :confused:
They wil, because I attended fulltime college for 2 months.
I think when you get more than four weeks backdated it's when you've sent off your forms on time but it's taken THEM a long time to sort it out, e.g. if you have self-employed parents and it's difficult to calculate income...
Sephirona
They wil, because I attended fulltime college for 2 months.

but you haven't applied for EMA so no, they won't. I was slightly late getting my contract signed this year, but I still got it done before October, so it was fine. You had until then to apply.

Like abi_gail says, any instances of people receiving large amounts of money later on in the year is because of issues with calculating income.
Sorry if this has already been answered but I haven't gone through every page.

Are we supposed to get paid during holidays? o_0 because I got paid during the

2 week half term...
Squ33zed
Sorry if this has already been answered but I haven't gone through every page.

Are we supposed to get paid during holidays? o_0 because I got paid during the

2 week half term...

You aren't supposed to, no.

(But I did too :s-smilie: )
I'm due £60 every two weeks/ £30 a week.

This fortnight I only got £30, but I've been at school for two weeks since halfterm, monday-> friday monday-> friday, havnt missed any days etc.

Anyone know how this pans out that way? :s-smilie: would they have changed it without telling me?
Reply 198
You dont get paid for the week we're off at half term and so prehaps thats why you ony recieved £30 and not £60, because you may have been due only one weeks payment. It's very unlikely they would have changed the payment system without letting you know but it may be worth asking.
Reply 199
Re: Making an EMA payment appeal

Arghh, I am so annoyed. My mum, as she did last year, left filling out the EMA application until the last minute (like late October time) I then only got the contract through October 30th. I have only received one weeks back payment, so I have lost out on £150 + and the bonus of £100. Fair enough if the initial application was a little late, but the bonus is suppose to be a well done, if you like, for progressing well on your course and I am not even entitled to that according to my college.

Is there anyway I can appeal?

Oh, and all the anti-ema people, I have a part time job as well, so don't think I am reliant on ema payments. It's just a lot of money to go down the drain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending