The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

The_Illusionist
How do they judge your effort? Do they go by module grades or something?

As part of the interim report, each subject teacher has to give a grade from 1-4, where 1 is the best and 4 is the worst, based on effort. I think it's only linked to grades in cases where it's obvious the person has either put in loads of effort, ie improved by a grade, or slacked off, eg achieving well below their capabilities. Otherwise it's just based on general things like participation in class and homework.

The_Illusionist
:eek: Woah! That's a lot! I'd feel guilty excepting that much!

But hey, if the government want to give me money for doing what I would have done anyway, who am I to argue? :p:
Reply 21
Is the EMA bonus payment directly dependant on attendance, or soley your tutor's desicion? Because I keep getting these stupid letters from the incompetant college saying I've not been attending and so not getting my weekly payment, even though I have. They're such idiots. Anyway I've got to the point where I can't be bothered to mess around appealing each time it happens, but now I'm worried it might effect my bonus.
Neil
Is the EMA bonus payment directly dependant on attendance, or soley your tutor's desicion? Because I keep getting these stupid letters from the incompetant college saying I've not been attending and so not getting my weekly payment, even though I have. They're such idiots. Anyway I've got to the point where I can't be bothered to mess around appealing each time it happens, but now I'm worried it might effect my bonus.

I think it depends on attendance, work completed and your effort in lessons, but usually you get a letter telling you if they are with holding your bonus. But its still definitely worth seeing about those letters (even now!) if you can as is your money so why not make sure you get it?
Reply 23
It depends on your colleges criteria. If its strict or has computerised attendance then it probably will stop the payment.
Reply 24
I'm only given a 10 day time limit to appeal against the letter. As far as I was aware it is your personal tutor's desicion about wether you get it, but I just wanted to make sure. All the websites I visit say about learning objectives and stuff I should attain. My college never set any. Last year the tutor basically said you've been good so you get your bonus and that was it.
Reply 25
Your weekly EMA is dependant entirely upon attendance. At my school this is done through computers which means absences are instantly discovered and phone calls etc... soon follow up. What we have to do is visit the EMA officer-lady-person who gives us a yellow form to fill out; this is just so a parent signs and acknowledges your absence. Your money then follows the following week as a back-payment more or less.

The bonus however is, at my school, based upon progress. We were given slips to get signed from all subject teachers. They would sign if they were happy for the bonus to be granted. Of course attendance may play a part in their decision but it is pretty much their choice.

Hope that helps.
You know the bonus you get in Janurary and then June or July, does everyone get the same bonus no matter what EMA you get each week? So for example would someone like me, £10 a week get the same as my £30 a week mate?
Yes you should do.
Reply 28
Remember though, it is your teachers who decide if you get the bonus or not. This is determined by how well you are performing in your studies. They have every right to and as some of my friends found out, do, refuse to process it. You can always appeal, but I would say the school are more likely to win.
Ah, the joys of EMA, was truly fabulous to get £30 a week and £100 every so often for doing what I was already doing.

Enjoy.
Yeah, I only got it for the second year of sixth form cos thats when it was introduced! Realy grinds me tha tmy brother hasn't had a job at this stage and will have only slightly less than me due to god damn EMA!!
Reply 31
Is it 5 payments of £100?
Reply 32
At my sixth form, you collect a blank timetable every monday morning and after every lesson that week you get your teacher to sign the box for their lesson on the timetable. They only sign if you are there obviously and are up to date with all work and homework for that lesson.
Reply 33
Master621
Is it 5 payments of £100?

yeh

JanY12 (for sicking out the first term lol),
JulyY12(for making it to finish your first yr),
SepY13 (for coming back for your second yr),
JanY13 (for sitcking it out and coming back after xmas),
JulyY13 (for finishin 6th form).
Oooohhh... just remembered we get another one in september! how exciting! I still can't believe they pay us for going to school. suckers. heehee
Reply 35
Yep, more money in sept for doing exactly what I would have done anyway
Reply 36
Two Tone
Yep, more money in sept for doing exactly what I would have done anyway

exactly lol!
mtbab
yeh

JanY12 (for sicking out the first term lol),
JulyY12(for making it to finish your first yr),
SepY13 (for coming back for your second yr),
JanY13 (for sitcking it out and coming back after xmas),
JulyY13 (for finishin 6th form).

Brilliant. :smile:

I suppose it's quite generous as well, I can also understand why some people get a bit P'd of because their parents earn over the 30k mark. I am only getting a tenner, but it's a lot better than nothing at all.

In fact, I just about made it to getting £10.
Reply 38
hey. i'm due to start 6form on 11th sep, i sent it off last weekend. wen do u think i will get it by. do i jus show da paper they give 2 da head of 6form and its dun?

also, wid da bonuses, do u need to get 100% attendance to get dis cuz i am goin on hol in skool time. missin 2 weeks.

cnt w8 till da money strts rollin in.

For the people that parents earn over 30k . they shouldnt be p'd off cuz they must have more quality of life than a family with lower income.
kingw
hey. i'm due to start 6form on 11th sep, i sent it off last weekend. wen do u think i will get it by. do i jus show da paper they give 2 da head of 6form and its dun?

also, wid da bonuses, do u need to get 100% attendance to get dis cuz i am goin on hol in skool time. missin 2 weeks.

cnt w8 till da money strts rollin in.

For the people that parents earn over 30k . they shouldnt be p'd off cuz they must have more quality of life than a family with lower income.

I'm not even going to comment on that last part, simply because I can't be bothered getting bad rep, but you know what - **** it, I'll post it anyway. I just about got £10 a week, therefore my parents earn little under 30k. They used to have quite a lot of debt, now it's nearly all paid off - just because my parents earn that amount of money by no means means that I have a better quality of life than someone with a lower income.

I mean my best mate is an only child living with his mum, she is on benefits and is 'disabled'. I disagree, there doesn't seem to be much wrong with her except bone-idleness and obesity. He get's the full £30 and even though his mum earns less than, sorry - get's given, less than £20,000 a year, she has no debts and therefore may be able to have a better quality of life than a family of four with debts earning just under 30k a year. So your theory is incorrect, I'm glad to say.

--

As for your questions, it doesn't take that long for it to be processed - it took me about 2/3 weeks from when I sent 'da' form. As for the attendance thing, I think you need over 95% but I'm not too sure, maybe someone else can clear that up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending