The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnier
I will be getting EMA but from next week or maybe the week after I will have to begin my weekly visits to the doctor. this cannot be cancelled or rearranged for the weekend since the doctor only works weekdays. I am only missing sports and am attending all of my other lessons. Will I still get my EMA?

I think if you have a doctors note & proof that the appointment cannot be outside school time they might let you. I'm really not sure though, you'll have to ask the school what proof they'll need.

Can't you go in a free period or after college?

I only have 3 free periods a week and one of them is a music lesson. The doctor's is too far away and I wouldn't be able to get there, have the appointment and come back within one hour. The appointments last around an hour anyway. I'll have a chat with the school next week about it.
Reply 121
if you apply for EMA, the money is sent directly to your bank account. does that mean no one else except you, not even your parents, can get access to it? does that mean you have to join a queue to draw the money out?
Chezua
if you apply for EMA, the money is sent directly to your bank account. does that mean no one else except you, not even your parents, can get access to it? does that mean you have to join a queue to draw the money out?

No one but you can access the money.

Depending on which bank/building society you are with, you may have a cash card, debit card or I suppose cash book. If you have a cash/debit card you can withdraw money at most ATMs, if you don't have either of these things then you will likely need to enter a branch of your own bank/building society to withdraw money.
Reply 123
I'm a bit confused.

I was at college last year and I have returned this year. Do I recieve a £100 bunus in september?

Thanks bex
Yes, you get a bonus for coming back for A2, not sure when exactly - but soon!
Reply 125
Reply 126
ok guys bit of help i was in town thought my lesson was last yet it wasnt so i missed it what do i need a dental note, can it just be written by a dental nurse or something? Please help me it was a genuine mistake :frown:
Reply 127
bruisepristine
No one but you can access the money.

Depending on which bank/building society you are with, you may have a cash card, debit card or I suppose cash book. If you have a cash/debit card you can withdraw money at most ATMs, if you don't have either of these things then you will likely need to enter a branch of your own bank/building society to withdraw money.

gosh banks are scary :frown:
Reply 128
I just want to know when we get this September bonus!, aha.
Garnier
I only have 3 free periods a week and one of them is a music lesson. The doctor's is too far away and I wouldn't be able to get there, have the appointment and come back within one hour. The appointments last around an hour anyway. I'll have a chat with the school next week about it.

hello, as long as your absence is authorised then you will still get your ema, since i started back sixth form i have had 1 full day and 3 half days off to go to the hospital with my skin and theyve all been authorised so just gt my ema payment:smile: yey!! oh and also for someone else who mentioned getting some extra help with funding for going to school, i got a grant called the learning support fund, which was 300 pound which i used to pay for my bus fairs!:smile:
theboys
ok guys bit of help i was in town thought my lesson was last yet it wasnt so i missed it what do i need a dental note, can it just be written by a dental nurse or something? Please help me it was a genuine mistake :frown:

no, a note off your parents saying ''you were at the dentis'' will do fine!
What day are the payments meant to go through?

Because last week, i recieved payment on either Weds or Thurs. But this week, i've had none. :frown:
Hi, I'm a bit confused. I went to the headmistress on my first day of sixth form, I got them to sign the form and everything. They said everything was sorted. I knew that it was paid in arrears so I waited until I'd done 2 full weeks before I bothered checking. The thing is, I asked my parents if they would give me a lift to the cashpoint so I could get a mini statement and they said, "Laura, it won't have gone in yet because they pay it monthly". Anyway I had a massive rant and showed them the paper work until they relented and admitted that it did get paid weekly. Anyway, I've been there 3 full weeks now so should have received £60 but I haven't. I've gone in everyday and so on so is it an admin problem? If so, who do I need to speak to about it, the school or EMA themselves???
Thanks
Reply 133
the school
Reply 134
Laura2712
Hi, I'm a bit confused. I went to the headmistress on my first day of sixth form, I got them to sign the form and everything. They said everything was sorted. I knew that it was paid in arrears so I waited until I'd done 2 full weeks before I bothered checking. The thing is, I asked my parents if they would give me a lift to the cashpoint so I could get a mini statement and they said, "Laura, it won't have gone in yet because they pay it monthly". Anyway I had a massive rant and showed them the paper work until they relented and admitted that it did get paid weekly. Anyway, I've been there 3 full weeks now so should have received £60 but I haven't. I've gone in everyday and so on so is it an admin problem? If so, who do I need to speak to about it, the school or EMA themselves???
Thanks

Apply for online banking if your bank offers this. Extremely useful. :smile:

Anyway, about your payments, I haven't received any yet, but last year I got around £120 at the end of September. So you will prolly get whats owed to you.
Reply 135
Some questions
Anyone have to get a self certification form when being ill? where do you get it from etc?
Also regarding dropping a subject at AS, will you still get EMA?
Thanks.
Reply 136
Lilian
Some questions
Anyone have to get a self certification form when being ill? where do you get it from etc?
Also regarding dropping a subject at AS, will you still get EMA?
Thanks.

1. Nope.
2. Yes, as long as your course is 12 hours per week.
Reply 137
Thanksssss :^_^:
Reply 138
Me again :redface: I'm ill this week I'll try and make it in on Friday but I'm not sure if I can or not cus I'm feeling miiiiiiiiiiighty rough:frown:
Anyway long story short I need a doctor's certificate fo more than 3 days....but I'm not going to the doctor, this is just a reccuring thing I have that the doctor can do nothing about? Looks like I'll just end up losing that week's EMA then....?
I'm gonna miss one of my lessons tomorrow because i'm at the dentist.
Is this an authorised absense? Or will i just not get my ema?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending