The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

snoogy
It depends entirely on the college. My attendance was awful but because I kept my grades high I still got my bonus. Some base it on attendance and some base it on targets.

they're meant to base it on attendance, but true, some waver that if your grades are good enough!
_lynx_
My friend told me that you have to register into every lesson in order to make sure you recieve your bonuses. Is that true? If not, how do they keep track of your attendance?

Thanks.

Every place is different. At my old school, we were given cards that teachers have to sign every lesson. Where I am now, registers are checked for attendance.
Reply 1782
hi i was wondering if anyone could answer this question at the moment as its a saturday and the helpline thing is closed. Right so heres the deal, my dads recently (2 days ago) been made redundant and with no money, cant give me any towards school travel, lunch, etc.

So i was wondering can you claim EMA if your parents have been made redundant? however one problem i thought of was the proof of income, well before he was made redundant he earnt a lot more than the cut of limit
so he would have no proof of earning under the "£25,522 - £30,810 per year" bracket.

Thanks
Tipples
hi i was wondering if anyone could answer this question at the moment as its a saturday and the helpline thing is closed. Right so heres the deal, my dads recently (2 days ago) been made redundant and with no money, cant give me any towards school travel, lunch, etc.

So i was wondering can you claim EMA if your parents have been made redundant? however one problem i thought of was the proof of income, well before he was made redundant he earnt a lot more than the cut of limit
so he would have no proof of earning under the "£25,522 - £30,810 per year" bracket.

Thanks

What year are you in?
Anyone had any rows with the people involved over failure of payment?
WestHamJake
Anyone had any rows with the people involved over failure of payment?

Yeah, plenty :yep:
Good stuff. :biggrin:
Ohh yay they only owe me 30 pound frm november not 60 if i worked it out right :smile:

becuase ive got 60 pound paid in :biggrin: and a wel a think one of them will be frm this week.
I'm owed £60 from November. :biggrin:
Was it the 2 weeks after that holiday?
Dunno, but it was the weeks starting the 17th and 24th.
Wel mine was 1st week back afta tht hol then week afta that, but im quite happy tht ther only debt for me is one payment.

:biggrin:
Can I just ask, how many people are actually regularly getting EMA like they should at the moment?

Last year went without a hitch, this year, I applied late (in October due to the fact my Mum could not get her salary in as she is self-employed, and EMA would not take an estimate, although she ended up having earned £11,000 less than the year before). Anyway, I applied in October and still haven't got a penny. People at my school applied in June and in the Summer, some don't even have an NofE yet... some do and the school has done their part and no money has come at all.

So is it just my school?
fran.ha
Can I just ask, how many people are actually regularly getting EMA like they should at the moment?

Last year went without a hitch, this year, I applied late (in October due to the fact my Mum could not get her salary in as she is self-employed, and EMA would not take an estimate, although she ended up having earned £11,000 less than the year before). Anyway, I applied in October and still haven't got a penny. People at my school applied in June and in the Summer, some don't even have an NofE yet... some do and the school has done their part and no money has come at all.

So is it just my school?

OMG its abit ok because you applied late and aint had anything but i applied in august and thought that was late, and ive been paid okish part frm messed up payments sometimes, they just owe me 30 from november, i hope you get paid soon, how are you dealin without it?
Dealing without it? I'm not to put it bluntly! I currently owe my Mum £200....!
Yep i owed me mum money but that was paid back in november and i owed her loads and that was only like 2 nearly 3 months. so you aint lent much from her.
Reply 1796
Does anyone know how long theres been a rule about lates in wales?

I missed out on weeks of money as I was often a few minutes late for one lecture, when I spoke to this lecturer she sorted it out for me and wasnt aware that lates actually counted (last year there were incidents where I would be late by half an hour at times and still get paid)

and also does anyone know when the bonus is in wales?

I'd assume it should be monday but I dont have anything in my account today (80% of the time my money goes in on the prior friday to the payment date)
The worst thing is that they said they would backdate it, and that's all good, my Mum knows I'm due for a large lump sum and so she knows I will pay her back.

Thing is I went to see my teacher because she needed me to sign something to finalise it all, turns out I've missed rather a lot of school. More than I thought I had, which means there are only very few weeks I have attended enough to get paid (I swear this is wrong. I know I missed a bit but I don't think it wasthis drastic) so I won't be getting as big a payout as I expected.... I'm going to have to somehow conceal this, not sure how! Maybe I'll use my Jan bonus (I will get it if I go to my GS exam and attend all my lessons which I am trying to do!)

So yeah. Go me for not attending :frown:
fran.ha
The worst thing is that they said they would backdate it, and that's all good, my Mum knows I'm due for a large lump sum and so she knows I will pay her back.

Thing is I went to see my teacher because she needed me to sign something to finalise it all, turns out I've missed rather a lot of school. More than I thought I had, which means there are only very few weeks I have attended enough to get paid (I swear this is wrong. I know I missed a bit but I don't think it wasthis drastic) so I won't be getting as big a payout as I expected.... I'm going to have to somehow conceal this, not sure how! Maybe I'll use my Jan bonus (I will get it if I go to my GS exam and attend all my lessons which I am trying to do!)

So yeah. Go me for not attending :frown:

Gutted :frown: I think the rules are quite strict tbh. And when all my friends moan about not getting EMA, but they go home on Fridays when they cba with lessons, and have regular lie-ins.. which i don't get to do because of EMA. So they should their faces :p:
Yeah and annoyingly I get more penalised for actually doing well in my general studies exam. I attended 2 lessons last year, and got a C in the exam. School decided that if you got a C or higher you had to carry it on in Y13.... I still don't go though. She said I need 12 hours of school to get EMA. With all the lessons I currently attend (everything but 2 hours, 1 hour GS I never go to and 1 hour ICT I never go to but that's basically cancelled because no one EVER turns up) adds up to 13 :biggrin: So as long as I go to all my normal lessons I should be OK (she hopes)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending