The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

Where can I get car insurance? I recently just passed and everytime I look for quotes, they give me a ridiculous sum £4000+!

My car is around 8 years old and my mum only has 1 year no claims bonus.

Thanks
How old are you? There's no such thing as cheap insurance if you're young.
Cheap insurance doesn't exist, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and pay or not drive.
If you're a student you can look for any possible student car insurance deals (although generally extremely rare).

I would always suggest comparing to be honest. That's the way to find the cheapest deals.

You could also look at pay-as-you-drive insurance if you don't plan on driving a lot.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mariaaaaaaaa
Hi guys,

Where can I get car insurance? I recently just passed and everytime I look for quotes, they give me a ridiculous sum £4000+!

Thanks

The cheapest insurance I could find was £4k

insurethebox offered me £2.5k if i drive maximum of 6000 miles per year so seems like a good deal if you don't drive a lot
Reply 1985
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
The cheapest insurance I could find was £4k

insurethebox offered me £2.5k if i drive maximum of 6000 miles per year so seems like a good deal if you don't drive a lot

Lol 6000 miles is actually quite a lot unless you like motorway driving every other day 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1986
Original post by mariaaaaaaaa
Hi guys,

Thanks

Try admiral young driver scheme ... I'm 19 and currently on it! Though it'll probably cost you more than when I first began since my mum had 9yrs Ncb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

Is £1200 a reasonable insurance quote for a 2009 Ford Fiesta from Hastings Direct?.I have 0 years NCB and don't have anyone as a named driver.How can I lower this ridiculous amount? Typically how low does insurance go after the first year of driving?

Can you believe Acorn quoted me £10,040. What kind of nonsense is that?
Original post by xev bellringer
Hi

Is £1200 a reasonable insurance quote for a 2009 Ford Fiesta from Hastings Direct?.I have 0 years NCB and don't have anyone as a named driver.How can I lower this ridiculous amount? Typically how low does insurance go after the first year of driving?

Can you believe Acorn quoted me £10,040. What kind of nonsense is that?

Xev, that is pretty low I doubt you can get it much lower than that too be honest. I take it that's comprehensive cover? Try and do third party fire and theft with some named try drivers you can possibly get it to £1000 if you're lucky.

I once got quoted £100,000 from hastings essential lol.
Reply 1989
Anyone have an experience with Hastings Smartmiles?
Reply 1990
Would I be able to get insured? and how much would the insurance be?
It'll be too expensive for you to insure, probably around the £5000-10000 region.
Might not be too bad for a 8 valve MK2 or MK3 GTI seeing how they're not actually that fast and are quite old now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends on which GTi, how old you are, where you live etc.

Put your details into a price comparison website and see how much it will come to.
I am 17 and have my driving test in a few weeks. Although I dont think I will be able to buy a car straight away I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest car to buy and insure(I will be buying a used car). My mum will be put on my insurance but I will be the main driver as I will be using it for college.
Try IKube, pretty much guaranteed to be half that!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarahellene
I am 17 and have my driving test in a few weeks. Although I dont think I will be able to buy a car straight away I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest car to buy and insure(I will be buying a used car). My mum will be put on my insurance but I will be the main driver as I will be using it for college.

Cheapest cars are like vauxhall corsas with 1.1L engines :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1997
Original post by Spaghetti head
Cheapest cars are like vauxhall corsas with 1.1L engines :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boy racer cars tend to be more expensive!
Aka. Well known by yobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karchun
Boy racer cars tend to be more expensive!
Aka. Well known by yobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Say I'm trying to get insured with my Mom as the main driver (she drives another car) is it true she can only apply her NCB to 1 car?!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending