The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Matthew320
Absolutely mind bogglingly confused now.

This thing..

Is £15,251.60 to insure. Whether I select Third party, third party fire and theft or comprehensive it's always above 10k. WTF? it's an old vauxhall astra with a 1.7D engine.. i dont understand..... :mad:

it's a TD (turbo) so find one that is just a D, and find an estate, estate are cheaper to insure. Also forget comparison sites, for a modern car, ring up direct line.
Reply 381
Original post by ocelotrevs
I guess this is related.
Has anyone had short term European car insurance?
If so what company did they use?

A lot of insurance covers EU anyway, I know mine does, maybe yours does to? Or you can pay them a little extra get cover it?
Original post by TheMeters
A lot of insurance covers EU anyway, I know mine does, maybe yours does to? Or you can pay them a little extra get cover it?

Nah, I'm covered through my company. It's trade insurance so it's different. But I'll check.
Reply 383
Not being funny, but at 18 I see everyone getting insurance for about £2000 or less, I get a quote for £9000 :frown:

I live in an okay area, am using the car as a 106, fairly low miles, adding a voluntary excess, and adding my dad as a named driver.
I have also tried using my dad as the main driver and me as the named, and it's still ridiculously high!

Help!
it's a TD (turbo) so find one that is just a D, and find an estate, estate are cheaper to insure. Also forget comparison sites, for a modern car, ring up direct line.

Could you suggest some cars to me?

I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but a Vauxhall Astra estate from 1995 is a terrible car for a 17 year old to drive. I don't want anything NICE, but just something basic like an Astra from 1999 or 2000 estate would be a lot lot nicer.

I think everyone can agree with me on this.

VS

(edited 12 years ago)
Could you suggest some cars to me?

I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but a Vauxhall Astra estate from 1995 is a terrible car for a 17 year old to drive. I don't want anything NICE, but just something basic like an Astra from 1999 or 2000 estate would be a lot lot nicer.

I think everyone can agree with me on this.

VS

I see what your saying. Tryed a different company 15k sounds more like 'We don't want your business.' which some don't.

I'd have the first one though :smile: stick some alloys on it and some small mods and it would be pimp. Purely on the fact I really dislike that green colour Vx seem to use.
Original post by Pegasus2
I see what your saying. Tryed a different company 15k sounds more like 'We don't want your business.' which some don't.

I'd have the first one though :smile: stick some alloys on it and some small mods and it would be pimp. Purely on the fact I really dislike that green colour Vx seem to use.

I would take it if it wasn't an estate, but that gen of the estate is just.. not good xDD. I like the second one a lot more and I'm sure you'd agree if it was a different color. and if I stick mods on it I have to tell the insurance company = premium goes up. :angry: I can't wait till I have like 2-3 years no claim bonus. I think it pisses a lot of 17 year olds off that you can get such nice cars for under £2k but you just can't afford to insure them. A lot of them being nice reliable cars with diesel engines (good MPG).

Balls..

I'm going to try direct line when I get a chance, but I would absolutely love it if someone could put together some sort of list of cars that we can all try getting quotes on or atleast name a few cars for me? :confused:
I would take it if it wasn't an estate, but that gen of the estate is just.. not good xDD. I like the second one a lot more and I'm sure you'd agree if it was a different color. and if I stick mods on it I have to tell the insurance company = premium goes up. :angry: I can't wait till I have like 2-3 years no claim bonus. I think it pisses a lot of 17 year olds off that you can get such nice cars for under £2k but you just can't afford to insure them. A lot of them being nice reliable cars with diesel engines (good MPG).

Balls..

I'm going to try direct line when I get a chance, but I would absolutely love it if someone could put together some sort of list of cars that we can all try getting quotes on or atleast name a few cars for me? :confused:

Go on comparethemarket.com run your quote, see the lowest price and go to that company direct. Talk to them on the phone, ask them if they can lower it and say its your first can, only means of transport so you will look after it.

List of Cars to try. Ok some arn't nice but Im going on what I think is the cheapest to insure.

Citoen AX
Citroen (dare i say it) Saxo 1.0
Ford Ka
Renault Clio
Renault Megane 1.4
Corsa B diesel or 1.0 Petrol
Astra 1.4 or Astra Diesel
Pergeot 106 Petrol
Pergeot 306 Diesel
Mini Metro
Nissan Micra (rather walk tbh)

PS: Some estates can look really good.
The insurance premium for young drivers can be controlled by safe driving practices being adopted by the young drivers. The no claim bonus is applicable in these policies too. The young drivers can drive safely for certain stipulated period and hence raise no claim. This will entitle them to the no claim bonus in the form of the discount in premium. The Quinn car insurance for young drivers will also provide special incentive if the young driver takes up any type of safe driving training program. The safety accessories fitted to the car will also fetch you some discount on the premium. The car model also makes difference in the premium. The sports car will take more speed and hence there would be more chances of damage. Therefore, it is recommended that if you are looking for an affordable premium for your teen ager’s car then always buy him the basic car.
Reply 389
Classic insurance. Cost me £466 last year when I was 18, it's only £370 now.
Reply 390

what??!

How does that work out?
Try admiral. They seemed the cheapest for me. Obv price comparison sites such as compare the market, list yourself as main driver with parents additional. Play about with where you park the car, sometimes the street can be less expensive than a car park etc. The first year is the worst, if you really want to drive you'll just have to bite the bullet and pay what is quoted.
Reply 393
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
How does that work out?

Classic car insurance is cheaper.
Reply 394
Original post by dmz
what??!

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
How does that work out?

Just does. Classic cars are cheaper to insure.
Reply 395
Add drivers to your policy as named, generally those who have good driving records, have held a long license free of points and even better with NCB. that should bring it down a fair bit
Original post by littleliongirl<3
i think if you are the second driver on the insurance policy its cheaper

cos ill be using my mums car and she's the first driver so its cheaper for me to be put under as the second rather than the first if you see what i mean ?

i think it was a good couple of hundred cheaper or something but i dont know if it'll help you out

If you put yourself as a named driver (and someone else as the main driver), when you actually are the main driver and you drive the car the most, then its fronting, and its illegal.
Original post by petters
Hi
Im 18 today and passed my test three months ago. I have a 2001 Renault Clio, and no reasons to be high risk however i can not insure it for less than £2800 a year :frown: Can anyone give me advice on good insurance companies or how i can get cheaper insurance. Just a few tips would be great!

Many thanks :smile:

Add drivers to your policy as named, generally those who have good driving records, have held a long license free of points and even better with NCB. that should bring it down a fair bit.
And also try companies like admiral, elephant, bell, diamond and tesco. They have always been the cheapest for me. But the price you are getting is about what most people are getting.
Original post by Emma:-)
If you put yourself as a named driver (and someone else as the main driver), when you actually are the main driver and you drive the car the most, then its fronting, and its illegal.

yeah, its fronting if you are the main driver and say you aren't.
but in my case the car belongs to my mum so technically i wouldnt be the main driver and it'd be cheaper.
however i don't know if this is the case for the OP so it was just a suggestion as it could save him some :smile:
Original post by littleliongirl<3
yeah, its fronting if you are the main driver and say you aren't.
but in my case the car belongs to my mum so technically i wouldnt be the main driver and it'd be cheaper.
however i don't know if this is the case for the OP so it was just a suggestion as it could save him some :smile:

I actually found that its cheaper to have your own policy than to be a named driver on someone elses policy. My insurance this year was about £660 (with both parents as named drivers). Whereas on my mum and dads car, adding me as a named driver bumped the price up to £1200. Normally their insurance would be £200-£300.

Latest

Trending

Trending