The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovefashion90
How do you lot get your insurance so cheap? (I cbb to read through this whole thread tbh).
Please help :frown:

Check The First post in the thread. It has useful links to other sites which details useful tips.

It may take a few hours to do everything but worth it to save £1000+...
Original post by ilovefashion90
How do you lot get your insurance so cheap? (I cbb to read through this whole thread tbh).
I checked how much insurance would be with my dads car and it was over 3 grand! And his car is a piece of **** lol. Insurance companies are thieeves! How are they gonna charge more than double the value of the actual car?
Argh, this process is so long and I'm clueless. And really lazy...They ask so many questions on their stupid forms and I cbb with it and give up because they never end.

Is it better for me to phone insurance companies and get quotes?

Is it worth me getting a **** car so that I can have cheaper insurance...?

And lastly how much should I expect to pay for insurance (as a minimum)?
Im a girl, age 19 and had my license for nearly 10 months. And my postcode/area might be considered dodgy to some.

Please help :frown:

Different cars cost different amounts to insure.

How I got my car insurance in the highest risk postcode to quite low...

Say I was the main driver, and put 4 additional drivers on with 15+ years no claims and no points...

Look at alternative cars that aren't perceived as traditionally young peoples cars (for me, it was cheaper to insure a yaris then a corsa/206/punto etc.)

Say the cars parked on the street then parked in a garage/secure parking (aparently due to the high risk postcode you can't see the car if it's in a garage/secure parking and if someone breaks into your house they'll automatically know which car is yours..!?)

Keep the annual milage low (5000)

Put your part time job in the employment section as well as student.

Ring up and haggle (I didn't get any off this way but I got the courtesy car and personal injury cover lawyer thing for free)

You say it's a rubbish car, this is probably why insurance is so expensive. When I looked the newer the car, generally the cheaper the insurance. I found cars 05ish reg to be the cheapest.

Ask your dad to ring up his current insurers and ask how much it would be with you added on, also, see if you can get a multi car policy.

This is what I did, I'm aware your situation is different but hey.
Reply 1002
Ok, I've planned to take my dad's car up to the Isle of Arran for a week with a couple of mates, but this was when he had a 2.0L. Now he's bought a 2.2L and the insurance plan I was with (90 day temporary insurance plan) and the company won't insure me. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there I could try?
Reply 1003
Please help me out link for fair price for car insurance
There is no such thing as a fair price for car insurance.

But I'd start on the comparison sites: gocompare, moneysupermarket, etc.

After that work though the companies which arn't on the sites, such as direct line, Co-op rtc.
Reply 1005
Got mine through confused.com, a bargain at £2000 per year (note the sarcasm).
depends what car, some of the places offering better insurance arent on price comparison ... although its usually slightly specialized, mines with the NFU and was far cheaper than moneysupermarket.com etc :smile:
Reply 1007
Original post by SebMurphy
There is no such thing as a fair price for car insurance.

But I'd start on the comparison sites: gocompare, moneysupermarket, etc.

After that work though the companies which arn't on the sites, such as direct line, Co-op rtc.

Pos Rep for the sig. She is great.

Also, pick an obscure car and try an independent broker!
Reply 1008
Car is Fiat Punto 1.2 2003
Reply 1009
Just look at confused.com or gocompare.com or something. You'll be looking at anything between £1900 - £2500.

I've got a 1.4 Polo 2005 and my first year insurance was around £2400.
some companies offer an option for insurance cover specifically for students, this might make it cheaper.
Original post by dcfc1993
Car is Fiat Punto 1.2 2003

This is my car, your automatically looking at increased premiums due to it being a fiat punto. When I was looking at car insurance my premium went up by £700 when I went from a yaris to a punto.

I live in a very high risk postcode and find admiral to be the best for me but it varies depending on circumstances.

Few tips if you live in a high risk postcode:

It's cheaper to say you park on the street then in a garage (wierd i know)

Add loads of people as additional drivers if they have loads of years no claims and have had their license a long time (think parents, grandparents etc.)

Keep the annual milage low (5000)

Maybe try something like ikube or coop insurance where they put a box in your car and monitor your driving.

Also I found ringing up the insurance companies and haggling got me furthur then just using comparison sites...

If you live in a high risk postcode, expect insurance to be at least £2000
Reply 1012
Try Ingenie - They dont limit the times you go out. Can Highly recommend them.
Generally phoning companies is cheaper than going online.
And insurance is negotiable.

google car insurance companies and get phoning mate, one car insurance company isn't cheapest for everyone, everyones situation is different so companies quote different. It's pointless recommending names.
Reply 1014
Co op young drivers. my 1.2 punto sport cost me £800 for the year, in my own name.
Tiger.co.uk got me the cheapest by far. Then call whoever was cheapest and ask them if they can lower it or something. Managed to get my quote from RAC from £1800 to £1650, any saving is worth it at these prices haha.
Endsleigh insurance is ok for me, it's a student car insurance.
Hey,

So i passed my driving test today first time.

But none of my parents drive so im wondering what is the best and cheapest way to get a car and to get the cheapest insurance because ive heard it is alot for a 19 year old.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Original post by Jimbobcoles
Hey,

So i passed my driving test today first time.

But none of my parents drive so im wondering what is the best and cheapest way to get a car and to get the cheapest insurance because ive heard it is alot for a 19 year old.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Read the OP of this thread. It contains advice and links to other places with lots of advice including money saving expert.

Doing all the instructions on moneysavingexpert can take a few hours but it can save hundred/thousands of pounds so definately worth it...
Reply 1019
Hellooooo, just been looking at car insurance for my first car, Peugeot 106 1.1ltr, im 21 years old, and the quote i got from some comparison website was £3,700! Surely this is crazy :confused:?? Anyhow, anyone know the best car insurance people with the cheapest insurance? Cheers :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending