The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Baby-Ruth
ok so I am a Christian too and, unlike many other comments on this post, I'm not gonna be rude. (You'll be surprised at what you're missing out on in "life"!!) Personally I haven't had the issues you do but I've heard a lot about the whole situation. After reading and hearing so much about it I came to the (personal) conclusion that it is a sin because you do it for your own "pleasure" and it is therefore selfish. Others may disagree and I'd like to hear what they have to say but that's what I think on the matter - people seem to have different views regarding this topic.

If you don't mind putting it up for discussion...

If doing something for personal pleasure is regarded as sinful, shouldn't that mean that virtually anything pleasant -- a good meal, a cinema visit, partying -- is sinful as well? All your actions can impossibly be of use both to yourself and society/your fellow men, so why should masturbation be singled out?

And if you do mind the discussion, we can just end it. :wink: Not questioning your beliefs, but I want to hear your reasoning on the matter.
"and I am just thinking if it is a sin it is somehwhat redemable against good deeds..."
Yo yazoo, this is what many people get wrong about Christians! we don't weigh good and bad deeds like other religions, it may surprise you to hear we believe we are all TERRIBLE so all deserve hell in a nutshell for our rejection of God. Our only hope is Jesus who bore all the consequence of our terribleness by his sufferings so God can forgive us IF we accept and believe his forgiveness/methods.
"any sane person would find the Abrahamic god's standard of morality to be appalling" God has a high standard he is perfect and wants us to be perfect, you found it difficult to stop, indeed it is for it is impossible to please God without his help! If you were referring to women laws bear in mind that a husbandless woman was extremely vulnerable and the laws were designed to protect, look into the culture, if you have any particular law in mind post and i will attempt to say why i am "sane".
Also pleasure is not sin! God created everything good, to take pleasure from food, sex with you're spouse, working, praying, having a conversation or anything else that isn't a sin is part of praise to God (if you give thanks), but you can never give thanks for rebellion (sin) and please God. Also there is a verse relating doing everything in faith, if you do something you believe a sin, even if it isn't, that is sin. so masturbation is certainly a sin in the OP case as they believe it wrong.
Also please don't misunderstand my last post and put something like "what if i think it a sin to not murder" this is clearly silly!
Reply 24
EffigyWellington
If you don't mind putting it up for discussion...

If doing something for personal pleasure is regarded as sinful, shouldn't that mean that virtually anything pleasant -- a good meal, a cinema visit, partying -- is sinful as well? All your actions can impossibly be of use both to yourself and society/your fellow men, so why should masturbation be singled out?

And if you do mind the discussion, we can just end it. :wink: Not questioning your beliefs, but I want to hear your reasoning on the matter.

nope I don't mind sensible questions at all :smile: I do mind people that ask then just have a go at you - what's the point in that lol.

ok so as people we have human needs to live like food and drink - God provides us we both when He made the Earth and everything in it.

we can do things like going to the cinema and parties and stuff, so long as they don't go against the rules and guidelines God has set out for us. This is if you choose to follow Him (you would go with His rules too). However what we are talking about doesn't bring glory and goodness to God (in my opinion, like I say other Christians may have a different view) as people do it for their own pleasure and when thinking of other people it is an act of lust - also against what God says to His people.

I know it's sometimes difficult for non believers to understand why Christians think/say/do the things the do but if you want to know more I can try to explain things further :smile: hope this was somewhat interesting x
Reply 25
It's not a sin. Go for it.
Reply 26
Hmmmmmm whether to listen to reason or a book that is so conflicted its not even funny to point out the contradictions with the stories and the ten commandments.
The bible's not even good I thought Harry Potter had a wayyyyyyy better ending, or The Northern Lights trilogy.
And I am spiritual I'm buddhist at least our teachings make a hell of a lot more sense
please explain a contradiction or conflict.
Baby-Ruth
it is an act of lust - also against what God says to His people.

Why is lust immoral?
lust degrades humans by making them objects rather than partners, imo, also from a biblical stance to lust is to desire sex from someone so to "commit adultery in your heart". adultery is sex with anyone you are not married to by God's standards, ergo so is lust.
Oh just whap it out and have a play with it. You know you want to!

Latest

Trending

Trending