The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bysshe
I donated. I can understand people not donating because they'd rather give money to another cause, or because they're not sure if charities are able to make a huge difference, but some of the attitudes in this thread are incredibly depressing. You don't care? Well done for being honest, I suppose, but it's sad how some people are apparently incapable of empathy...

I don't see how saying you don't care about people you don't know in a country you've never been to makes you "incapable of empathy". The fact is, when faced with whether to help a friend in need or to help a stranger, the majority (I daresay, all) would choose their friend. I'm not at all suggesting that Haiti doesn't deserve any aid, but I disagree with your judgment. It's not a palatable thought, but we're kidding ourselves if we think that overlooking people we have no emotional attachment to or knowledge of is anything unnatural. If we didn't have news programmes informing us graphically of the suffering, we would feel nothing about it, and have no compulsion to help.
Reply 221
chebanana
I don't see how saying you don't care about people you don't know in a country you've never been to makes you "incapable of empathy". The fact is, when faced with whether to help a friend in need or to help a stranger, the majority (I daresay, all) would choose their friend. I'm not at all suggesting that Haiti doesn't deserve any aid, but I disagree with your judgment. It's not a palatable thought, but we're kidding ourselves if we think that overlooking people we have no emotional attachment to or knowledge of is anything unnatural. If we didn't have news programmes informing us graphically of the suffering, we would feel nothing about it, and have no compulsion to help.

Yes, but we do have newspapers and reports on the TV, and unless you're living under a rock, it's impossible not to see the photos and read the stories from Haiti. I accept that different people are moved by different things, but if you read about children in Haiti who have lost their relatives, homes and are starving and yet you remain unmoved and are happy to admit that you don't care, personally I do think you're seriously lacking in empathy. If I had to choose between saving a family member and saving someone in Haiti I've never met, of course I'd choose the family member, but no one's forcing us to make that choice. It's not about choosing one over the other (family member over Haitian, England over Haiti).
Reply 222
chebanana

That's what empathy is though, identifying with, and by extension, caring about the feelings and misfortunes of others, whether or not you know them. So while it doesn't make you necessary incapable of empathy, I would say that it shows a remarkable lack of empathy.
I'm not donating anything. I never donate.
lella_m
Why should I?

You shouldnt. You should keep the money for the people who really need it. Yourself. Buy more shoes and stuff, human life means **** all...

... I worry a little for humanity...:frown:
Reply 225
GottaLovePhysics! :)
You shouldnt. You should keep the money for the people who really need it. Yourself. Buy more shoes and stuff, human life means **** all...

... I worry a little for humanity...:frown:

Chill out.

I donated on Monday.
smalltownboy
So you give money to save dogs you have never met? Consistent logic fail.

Because dogs can't look after themselves. It's not that I haven't met these people, but that is one reason.
BasicMinds
Come on now, you may not want to give, think Haiti is a **** hole that won't ever recover and so think it is pointless, or as someone else said they want to save for an ipod touch. I may not agree but fair enough its their money. But don't give some over dramatic crap that you will go hungry for a day if you donate a fiver or tenner. On that argument i would say get some perspective and at least have the conviction to stand by your decision without giving over the top justifications which are essentially a lie.

might: modal verb (3rd sing. present might) past of MAY1. 1 used to express possibility or make a suggestion.

So how is that over dramatic when I said "might", it only expresses a possibility, not an exact fact?
lella_m
Chill out.

I donated on Monday.

Waa?
Your message implied kinda the comlete opersit lol.
You were just one of the many "Why should it bother me?" comments
Reply 229
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=260106054019&ref=nf

I've created an FB awareness page! Please sign up! You can choose to donate if you want to!
smalltownboy
1. It's not though really is it? Asking someone and coercing them is a rather different story.
2. Errrr, what do you expect? It's a charity appeal. The whole point is to increase the empathy so people who normally wouldn't feel like donating will donate something.
3. Because they are one of the poorest countries in the world and we are one of the richest perhaps? This argument is so stupid...how do you even know?
4. Good for you. Your "cool" I-don't-give-a-**** attitude will really open doors for you.

So they have a right to play peoples emotions to get what they want? No they don't! We, as the individual, have the right to choose by our own free will whether we want to help.

Right... so because we're one of the richest AUTOMATICALLY makes us have to help?

And tbh I don't care what you or anyone else, if I don't want to pay, I won't. As it has opened doors for me, as I haven't sent off my money somewhere, I still have it for myself.

Please don't condescend me as though I'm morally required to help, I'm not - which means I won't.
Donated £2.50 through that text message thingy-bobby. :smile:
Reply 232
Waa?

I knew it would annoy/repulse people like you :h:

Though, there was no reason why I should have.
Reply 233
Most of the money sent to Haiti will not even reach those people in need. Happens everywhere.
Waa?

First time i've seen it spelt like that.:p:
I wish i had money to give away!
Reply 236
Janos
Most of the money sent to Haiti will not even reach those people in need. Happens everywhere.

More money will reach Haiti than when you donate nothing at all.

Although there is nothing to prove that the people in need over there need the money there is similarly nothing to prove that most of the money will be spent in a useless manner. Either way, 5 or 10 quid is unlikely to make any difference to our standard of living but some difference (if only very minute) to theirs.
Reply 237
Some of the cruelty on here makes me so angry!
no, but im doing a street collection on saturday so i will then...
and so will lots of innocent bystanders...mwahaha :cool:
£50

Latest

Trending

Trending