The Student Room Group

University rejection despair!

Okay im totally panicking
i have totally screwed up
im predicted AAA* next year (A* in history) and ive applied for history at uni
been rejected from three so far (ox, dur and edin)
waiting for warwick (to reject me)
and ive got an interview for soton, so i dont even know if i will get in?

is there ANYONE who has literally NO offers??
or one offer but its the one you least wanted?
does anyone have any advice regarding extra and clearing?
heeeeelllp!:eek:

Scroll to see replies

I have heard nothing from the one I want the most :frown: sent my UCAS 26th October.
Reply 2
First off, I'm sorry for you, that really sucks.
Secondly, don't count yourself out yet. Warwick and Soton could still give you an offer. If not, there's Extra, maybe there'll be a course on there you like. Or you could take a gap year, do something useful to improve your application and try again next year, if you manage to actually get those grades you should have a shot then.
emilaah
Okay im totally panicking
i have totally screwed up
im predicted AAA* next year (A* in history) and ive applied for history at uni
been rejected from three so far (ox, dur and edin)
waiting for warwick (to reject me)
and ive got an interview for soton, so i dont even know if i will get in?

is there ANYONE who has literally NO offers??
or one offer but its the one you least wanted?
does anyone have any advice regarding extra and clearing?
heeeeelllp!:eek:

Calm down, you still have 2 offers outstanding. Extra doesn't even open until the end of February. There is still a good chance that you will get an offer from your remaining choices. Do you know why you were rejected from Oxford, Durham and Edinburgh? If not then it is worth asking for feedback to find out what went wrong and so help you with your other applications.
Reply 4
head up mate, just put your heart and soul into that interview and make sure they realise they are missing out if they reject you!
Reply 5
polka_dott
I have heard nothing from the one I want the most :frown: sent my UCAS 26th October.

Some top universities wait until the deadline date, so i wouldn't worry too much that you haven't heard from them! :smile:
Reply 6
As the other posts say, Don't panic!

Wait 'til you get a degree and (iff) you then go for graduate schemes. That'll teach you about competitiveness.

EDIT & Full time jobs too
Reply 7
Its okay either way you will go to university, think of it like that. Positivityy
Reply 8
you still have 2 unis 2 hear from think positive !!!
Don't worry, I was rejected from Cam, Dur and Edin and received 2 offers, and love Manchester, which was actually my lowest offer. Don't panic and lose your head just yet, although I know the waiting is hard :smile:
Reply 10
OP, I totally know where you're coming from. What a lot of people don't realise about History is that at the top universities it's extremely competitive. For one reason or another, History seems to attract a seriously high calibre of applicant. I'm in a similar-ish boat to you, having been pooled and then rejected by Cambridge, and yet to hear from (pretty much expecting rejections from!) four other top universities including Durham and Edinburgh.

It's tough and the waiting is horrible, and I don't even have any advice to offer, but I just thought I'd let you know that you're not the only one! For me it's even worse - I'm a post A-Level applicant, so if I don't get any offers it's a second gap year for me!!
I'm in a fairly similar position, I applied early September and have 2 rejections, no offers :frown:. This is for law though, rejections are Cam and UCL, waiting on LSE, Kings and Bristol. I'm finding it hard to stay motivated as I have nothing to work towards and waiting this long is really winding me up. I reckon you have a great chance at Soton though, good luck.
Reply 12
my friend, have a gander at the medic forums, and the hundreds of other applicants in the same place you are :smile:
Reply 13
What makes you think you will be rejected from Warwick? I have applied for History at Warwick, Leeds, Southampton, Liverpool and UEA, with Warwick probably being my first choice (if I get an offer).

Already have unconditional offers from UEA and Southampton (didn't need an interview :confused:)
Reply 14
should have put an insurance uni down.
Reply 15
The three that rejected you are arguably the three most competitive courses in the country!
Reply 16
wootwootwoot
I'm in a fairly similar position, I applied early September and have 2 rejections, no offers :frown:.

oh god thank god im not the only one! i think everyone in my year at school now has offers so im a bit worried :/

soton is my insurance, but im so fickle im now wondering if hist + archaeology could get me anywhere? or maybe (if they actually give me an offer of course) i could switch course to straight history... i mean would i even have a chance? i know its highly unlikely.

i know im probably overreacting, its just reading the posts on the history thread, i mean, some of these guys are just pure geniuses and are getting rejected from warwick! i know its not all about the grades, but still, when someones got AAAAA* you cant help but sit with your jaw on the floor
Reply 17
emilaah
oh god thank god im not the only one! i think everyone in my year at school now has offers so im a bit worried :/

soton is my insurance, but im so fickle im now wondering if hist + archaeology could get me anywhere? or maybe (if they actually give me an offer of course) i could switch course to straight history... i mean would i even have a chance? i know its highly unlikely.

i know im probably overreacting, its just reading the posts on the history thread, i mean, some of these guys are just pure geniuses and are getting rejected from warwick! i know its not all about the grades, but still, when someones got AAAAA* you cant help but sit with your jaw on the floor
Your experience is by no means unique - and the three rejections you have are commonplace in history, unfortunately. I would have said that your prospects for Soton were good, and Warwick, who knows? I'd just like to add that I know someone this happened to - ended up with a full house of rejections. Got a place for history through Extra at a top 20 uni and later got a First, having had a ball. So while it's a horrible place to be at the moment, these things do have a habit of working out for the best in the long run. I wouldn't worry about the degree choice at Soton - if that's what interests you, go for it. Most graduate schemes are not interested in what your subject was, and single honours does not get more 'credit' than joint honours. What gets you 'credit' is having made the most of your uni life, wherever that turns out to be.

All of that said, commiserations. It's a tough time when all your friends are shrieking about their offers and you can't, but keep faith with yourself. You are a good candidate (you wouldn't have applied for Oxford if you weren't) and sooner or later some uni (and a good one) will snap you up :smile:
_Fleur_
OP, I totally know where you're coming from. What a lot of people don't realise about History is that at the top universities it's extremely competitive. For one reason or another, History seems to attract a seriously high calibre of applicant. I'm in a similar-ish boat to you, having been pooled and then rejected by Cambridge, and yet to hear from (pretty much expecting rejections from!) four other top universities including Durham and Edinburgh.

It's tough and the waiting is horrible, and I don't even have any advice to offer, but I just thought I'd let you know that you're not the only one! For me it's even worse - I'm a post A-Level applicant, so if I don't get any offers it's a second gap year for me!!

:ditto: So far one offer from my last choice, Queen Mary, and two rejections from Oxford and Cardiff, though I applied for the wrong course from the latter by mistake but I didn't want to go there anyway. Come on Edinburgh!
Reply 19
Minerva
Got a place for history through Extra at a top 20 uni and later got a First, having had a ball. So while it's a horrible place to be at the moment, these things do have a habit of working out for the best in the long run.

do you think its possible for me to go to a good uni on Extra if i'm applying for such a competitive course?
thanks so much for the advice, i'm beginning to feel better already:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending