The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
simplexity
and the justification being?

Makes me sick.
Reply 181
Riderz
Its not a crime, its antisocial and creates divides.

How is it antisocial, say, if two people are having a private conversation on the street in their mothertongue, or even at home or with friends or family? Just because you dont understand it, doesnt mean its anti social, so long as they speak english at work etc i dont see what the problem is.

And also what would say about the many british 'expatriates' there are emigrating to places like spain to retire, without having a clue how to speak spanish? Would you have them booted out? Because theyre obviously not contributing to the country if they're retired!

I didn't think so.
simplexity
well not really... you either stop immigration or you dont ..
Question to bordess and op:
If you immigrated to say saudi arabia and you meet a british person do you speak to him in Arabic or English?

I know this wasn't aimed at me but: basically, if you want to live somewhere long-term then you bloody well make an effort to speak the resident language. If you're just visiting short-term then I wouldn't bother.

So, if I were living in Saudi Arabia, then I'd make an effort to integrate and learn the language. If I were visiting there short-term, then I'd probably (knowing me) still make an effort to learn a bit of the language, but not completely.
Naturally on this thread two things are going to happen. You will get the liberal students standing up for immigration and immigrants whilst ignoring any comment against it concluding that those against immigration are stupid or racist. You will have other students who hate immigration and go on about how immigration is destroying everything and how it removes the Great from Great Britain.

This is where I come in.

Now, firstly I will ensure we know what immigration is. Recently, I have discovered a lot of people do not separate it from work permits or visas. Immigrants are individuals who have been granted permanent stay in the United Kingdom to reside and to work.

Immigration is fantastic. It allows for rich and/or well educated individuals to live and work in the United Kingdom. Any wealthy economy requires immigrants as they bring qualifications, skills and wealth.

However, naturally too much is a problem. When immigration is not strictly controlled it causes a range of problems for infrastructure including roads, hospitals, schools etc.

This is why immigration must be controlled strictly. This does not, however, affect work permits or other visas. Though of course both should be strengthened to ensure only legitimate workers/tourists/etc are welcome.
Reply 184
ahnaf.c
No comments on the upper portion of your post. I'm Muslim and I'v come across 'Muslims' who do what you'v described above. Not pleasant at all.
But the last part was just outright silly..and for several reasons:

1) Some poor countries only have a stable balance of payments situation, hence a stable economy because of remittance inflow. Yet nearly 70% of the remittance is from the Middle East in my country.

2) Some countries have laws where they allow concessional tax rates for those multinational companies which offload shares in the operating country, but are unable to completely restrict money being siphoned out. Some also require a % percentage of the retained profit to be re-invested in the operating country.They can't restrict it completely, because its just stupid. Its the company's money, it should decide where it wants to spend it.

3) To supplement my previous point- You're speaking as though these people who send money to their native countries earn it through illegal means or evade tax. They are free to send money where they want, when they want after they have paid their taxes (as long as they don't finance terrorists).

4) Many, many British citizens work in Middle Eastern companies because of their lucrative salaries and 0% tax. Just how they are free to bring it into the UK, same should apply for people working in the UK.
And most of the time countries benefit from foreign workers. They get cheap workers to work in the real estate business from the Indian subcontinent. The native people mostly complain saying that they are deprived of jobs because to the firms the foreign (low paid) workers help them maximise profits. Whereas, your complain is that money is being leaked out of the country.

Only shows that either way u can never be kept happy.
Plus, I'm sure the government is there to worry about it. No country, imo is stupid enough to worry about migrant workers while forgetting how screwed up the BOP is getting.

You make some very valid points, especially about Brits in the Middle East all of which i have taken on board!
It's more that the jobs could be going to people who live full time in the UK and could desperately do with the money and would be keeping it would be more use; however i accept it is both naive and stupid to think that because you earn the money in a country it should be spent there, i merely think it would be more advantageous!
Reply 185
freefrag
I wouldnt agree, what you're saying is purely ignorant.

Im an immigrant myself and I see no reason why I should speak english, unless an english person is involved in the conversation.

As to immigrants clogging up the country, I have to say I think its fair, as long as they come here to benefit both them and the country they're in.

I feel it shows a lack of respect only speaking a country's language when you absolutely have to, especially when fluent in the language.
paella
There's not white or black people any more, nor muslims or christians.

LMAO theres not?
35mm_
I know this wasn't aimed at me but: basically, if you want to live somewhere long-term then you bloody well make an effort to speak the resident language. If you're just visiting short-term then I wouldn't bother.

So, if I were living in Saudi Arabia, then I'd make an effort to integrate and learn the language. If I were visiting there short-term, then I'd probably (knowing me) still make an effort to learn a bit of the language, but not completely.

Yeah so would I - it was me who just repped you btw.
Reply 188
Broderss

Makes me sick.

Yes, because this represents every immigrant in the country.

:facepalm:
Reply 189
Who's N?
Yes, because this represents every immigrant in the country.

:facepalm:

No, but an amount brought on through this immigration. Mainly Muslim.
Reply 190
Broderss
I feel it shows a lack of respect only speaking a country's language when you absolutely have to, especially when fluent in the language.

so if you moved to say spain or france, you'd speak to your parents in spanish or french at home???
Broderss

Makes me sick.

ok fair enough .. but there were 20 or max 30 people in that demonstration ..Do you think its a fair and reasonable justification for hating the entire asian population..Hating a group of stupid people is one thing but holding that unliking to a whole continent is another thing.
Reply 192
simplexity
ok fair enough .. but there were 20 or max 30 people in that demonstration ..Do you think its a fair and reasonable justification for hating the entire asian population..Hating a group of stupid people is one thing but holding that unliking to a whole continent is another thing.

No, but they originate from the immigration of Asians and therefore I can dislike a race as their cultures can often produce these results.
Reply 193
Broderss
No, but an amount brought on through this immigration. Mainly Muslim.

But that doesn't mean every muslim in the country. And it certainly shouldn't give you any reason to hate every muslim or asian immigrant, because these extremists are just the vocal minority!
cz100
so if you moved to say spain or france, you'd speak to your parents in spanish or french at home???

What people do in their own homes is their business, I think they meant in the street, in public and when other people (who don't speak the language) are present. It's just rude in those cases.
Reply 195
cz100

If they spoke it as well, quite honestly, yes.

Not form just a respect point of view, but also it helps keep a good standard of speaking that language and may reduce your accent somewhat if you practise speaking it a lot of the time.
Reply 196
Broderss
No, but they originate from the immigration of Asians and therefore I can dislike a race as their cultures can often produce these results.

SO do you hate all irish people because of the IRA?
Do you hate all german people because of the nazis?
Reply 197
Broderss

Middle east Asians and Far east Asians are very different you know
35mm_

are you retarded?
Is that the question I asked ?
..I asked the question if you immigrate to another country (saudi arabia) you being a foriegner in that country isnt it natural that you speak someone from your own country in your own langauage rather than a foreign language?
Reply 199
Who's N?
But that doesn't mean every muslim in the country. And it certainly shouldn't give you any reason to hate every muslim or asian immigrant, because these extremists are just the vocal minority!

Well, I do. I see where these extremists come from and so I think the only way to reduce these, however small a percentage they may be, is to do something about every Muslim or Asian immigrant.

I'm sorry but that seems logical.

Latest

Trending

Trending