The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Elmlea
Search button. SEARCH BUTTON! Or links in the FAQ to older threads?

Calm down! You get stressed easily? :wink:
Reply 21
can sum1 just clarify sumthing for me. wen u pass ure filter interview how long does it norammly take to hear if ure going to oasc and how do they let u no?
Reply 22
usually about 3-4 weeks and you hear by letter. I was given a month from letter arriving to OASC date but you usually get 3-5 months notice, or so I've been told
You can be told one of two ways.

Either by a letter as GR4pilot mentioned which arrives a few weeks after your interview.

There is also a less formal method of just telling you at the time if you have been recommended. This was what happened to me but I haven't heard of many people knowing this way.

When you go to OASC depends on what you said on your application and what spaces they have on which boards. If someone cancels and you put asap on your form you may be given only a few weeks notice. Right now OASC is very busy so I would expect it to be a couple of months at least.
Reply 24
BlackHawk
You can be told one of two ways.

Either by a letter as GR4pilot mentioned which arrives a few weeks after your interview.

There is also a less formal method of just telling you at the time if you have been recommended. This was what happened to me but I haven't heard of many people knowing this way.

When you go to OASC depends on what you said on your application and what spaces they have on which boards. If someone cancels and you put asap on your form you may be given only a few weeks notice. Right now OASC is very busy so I would expect it to be a couple of months at least.

I was told i was gonna be recommended and then had to wait about 5 months before i actually went to OASC. If you do get told they will recommend you, don't let it go to your head. i think it may have done slighty, well quite a bit, in my young head (well younger than i am now) and i believe it played a large part in my failure at OASC.
Reply 25
My account of OASC.

DAY ONE

This day's very tame in comparison to the rest! We collected our keys, took our luggage to our rooms (there was an overspill so I had to stay in block 327 east AGAIN!), go for a short briefing at OASC and then dinner and head to the mess. Word of advice - play Jenga! It's a good icebreaker with people and good way of learning people's names. GET AN EARLY NIGHT! You'll need it for day two. Think we headed off at about 8pm.

DAY TWO

Breakfast at 6:30am, then aptitude tests start at 7:10am. I finished about 11am as I was only sitting the NCA ones, but Officer ones go on until about noon. I passed for all branches of NCA - yaaay! Then dinner! After dinner, wait around to find out if you've passed. We lost FIVE at this stage, so don't underestimate them. Then right on to the medicals, where you sit around waiting with your board all in your dressing gowns, very cosy. You'll be waiting around for AGES, so make use of the drinks fountain and as Bex said, maybe take a biscuit or some sweets or something. After these its fitness tests at around 4:50 when you're good and knackered. I was really ill at this point, I'd lost my voice and had a racy heart after even walking up some stairs! But I passed anyways, although I could've done much better. Then back to your rooms, showered, dinner and off to the mess, we were minus a few more people. HAVE ANOTHER EARLY NIGHT! If you think today sounds tiring, wait until day 3!

DAY THREE

Breakfast as norm. Medicals to complete. Then, the big one. INTERVIEWS! I was pleased with how mine went but they were tough. There was only one question that I had to say I don't know to, "what's different about the Merlin h/c?" - and I knew it, damn mind blanks. For Christ's sake, know you're weapons and aircraft, they will ask you! And the more you know about current affairs, the better. These last 45 minutes. Wait around after these to find out if you've passed phase one! People get called in individually (on ours, only those who have failed). These lot were asked to leave and not to hang around us (probably as they were worried about them lowering morale or something). Then the St Lucian guy came over and told us all we had passed!! We were given 20 mins to go collect our overalls, have dinner, get changed, grab our swimkits (for all aircrew and regiment, not for officers except pilots & WSOs) and head back over and meet outside the overall storeroom (although usually it's not that rushed supposedly).

This is where the fun begins. Get your overalls - Bex was right - these are waaay sexy! Forget everybody's name, they're going to become a number now! (e.g. I was D6). Get your photo taken holding your number below your face like a convict.

We had our group discussions - 15 minutes, 3 subjects, 5 minutes on each subject. I think these went ok. Then there was the group planning exercise. I think I messed this one up a bit. THEN (yaaaaay!) hangar exercises! On day three it's your familiarisation and then the leaderless exercise. SPEAK UP on these, but don't talk over your group, be a team player in this one. We were a good group in this, we all listened and contributed ideas, and we nearly completed the course! Then we were told to head over for the bus to get a lift for the swim test! This is ONLY for aircrew and regiment. There was only three of us that had to do this. You don your soaking wet overalls (given to you in the pool) and jump in, four lengths without touching the sides with any front or side stroke, two minutes treading water and then (the hardest part) climb out unaided, and the sides are quite high up. If you can't swim, you may struggle, so get a few lessons and get confident in the water.

Then back on the bus, have about 30 minutes to get ready for dinner! Then, back to the mess. We really pushed the boat out and stayed in there until 9pm, then toddled off to bed feeling absolutely knackered!!

DAY FOUR

Breakfast as norm. Then over to OASC for the individual planning exercises. Fifteen minutes to plan on your own, then taken to a room to be interviewed (this can be intimidating!). I think I also messed this one up a bit. Then the leader exercises in the hangar. These are FUN, but take them seriously. Our group was praised for our enthusiasm. When it's your turn as the leader, SHOUT for your team. It's sometimes unclear of where exactly in the hangar they are. You get two minutes to survey the course, make use of this by picking up the objects, seeing if they will bridge gaps, etc, ask questions if you're unsure.

After this, it's the final brief!! Do NOT panic about this, they just want to check you're details and ensure you've not encountered any problems at OASC. Shake their hands, and you're off!! Well done!! This really will be four of the most exhausting days of your life!!

CONCLUSION

It's tough but it's a fantastic four days, it's really easy to make friends and you'll have a good laugh. I was really sad when it came to leaving!!

On mine it began with 25 people, only ELEVEN completed. So DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE OASC. Work WITH people, not against them, don't be in the frame of mind that you're in competition. Don't forget to get everybody's emails and phone numbers! (unless you don't want to, obviously!)

Then welcome to the torturous WAITING!

Phew, sorry for the long post! If I've wrote anything that's wrong, please correct me and feel free to add anything. If anyone's got any questions, fire ahead and I'll do my best to answer.
Reply 26
Fantastic post, really enjoyed reading it. Hasn't helped with the nerves though! Haha. Well done, and good luck with your result.

Dave
Reply 27
Yea nice post and good luck again with your letter, your post helped me get things straight for the initial interview (which was ok) so I'm very grateful. I'm a little unsure though, does anyone know how the interview differs at OASC? Is it just more in depth and with two officers instead of one?
Reply 28
It's much more in depth. There are two Officers present, usually one asks the questions about yourself, family, hobbies etc. and the other asks the current affairs questions, RAF knowledge etc. Expect the good cop/bad cop routine! It lasts 45 minutes.
Reply 29
Rightio cheers!
Reply 30
My AFCO interview lasted 1 hour 15 minutes the first time when I failed and 1 hour 30 minutes when I passed. I was sweating like a fat man in a steam room after those two sessions. Hopefully those two grillings have prepared me well for OASC.

Cal
Reply 31
mankyscot2
My AFCO interview lasted 1 hour 15 minutes the first time when I failed and 1 hour 30 minutes when I passed. I was sweating like a fat man in a steam room after those two sessions. Hopefully those two grillings have prepared me well for OASC.

Cal

"sweating like a fat man" Nice! I found that too though I'll admit. Mine only lasted 50 mins but I found that I didn't have time to talk about myself enough. For example we talked a lot about school from Y7-Y11, during which time I did relatively little and not so much about what I'd been up to recently, which is more interesting. I messed up on current affairs a bit aswell, I had a horrible mental block and he didn't ask about British affairs at all. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and I felt as if I didn't do myself justice but I've learnt some lessons for OASC I guess and the main thing is that I'm through (assuming they invite me for selection).
Reply 32
mankyscot2

Cal

Haha, nice terminology!!

Yeah, my AFCO one lasted longer as well, but wasn't quite so intense. And you didn't fail first time, they simply let you have another crack :smile:
--------------
Oh and DEFINITELY know about NATO - everyone from my board got asked about this.
Reply 33
NATO is one of my best subjects, any other things that you think I should swat up on?

Current affairs, tri-service operations, aircraft and weapons are all good with me. One thing I am bad at is bigging myself up, I am a very modest person and I don't really see things I have done in my life as big accomplishments, even when they are. Does anyone have any tips on this?
Reply 34
When talking to people about your application to the RAF start saying we, or when I'm in (as apposed to if I get in). Don't be arragant with it but just start saying that in the assumption that of course you'll get in, why wouldn't they want you!? after a couple of weeks you'll find that it becomes easier to find the good stuff in what you've done. As I said, don't get cocky with it because that'd be detrimental.
Reply 35
Hiya folks,

If you need to scare yourself into doing some practice with arithmatic and maths, have a go with the exercises on this link, im sure you will work out how to get to them.

http://www.raftarget.com/students/signin.asp

Needless to say, its slightly alarming finding that i have trouble with Key Stage 4 subjects!

Dave
Reply 36
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html is an excellent source of info for studying for OASC/filter interviews
Reply 37
Ok, for all those waiting the results of the October ground board - the meeting was yesterday and someone has already found out they're in by ringing their AFCO.

http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12567 (go down to the bottom of the first page, a post by 'Anna')
Reply 38
Well I rang my AFCO and they knew the result but weren't allowed to tell me. Now for another sleepless night...
Reply 39
GemmaLS
Well I rang my AFCO and they knew the result but weren't allowed to tell me...

You gotta wait for the official enveope, eh?

Latest