The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I agree. She looks beautiful. Perhaps losing a little weight might be healthy for her, I don't know, but there are certainly more pronounced cases.
1) Did anybody actually read the article? I did, and it's definitely not what most of you think it is.

2) The girl looks kinda overweight.
That girl is a bit podgy but hell so I am so big deal.
I dont think any of you morons have actually read the article have you? It has a point. Read it before ripping apart the Daily Mail just because everyone else does.
Reply 44
That girl is probably a little bit overweight but looks enormous because she is wearing an unflattering skirt that is about two sizes too small.
Antonia87
I dont think any of you morons have actually read the article have you? It has a point. Read it before ripping apart the Daily Mail just because everyone else does.

"Although exercise is a good tool for weight maintenance and general health there is little evidence it will help you lose weight"
xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx
"Although exercise is a good tool for weight maintenance and general health there is little evidence it will help you lose weight"

Its saying that you wont lose weight if you keep eating starchy foods. It doesnt matter if you exercise - if you keep eating very starchy foods such as rice and potatoes, you're gonna struggle to lose weight.
she's not fat her skirt is just too small lol. if it was a size or two bigger it would look fine.

Having read the article I see where it is coming from. I don't even watch what I eat any more - when I did I put the pounds on.
Reply 48
I thought she was a little bit fat. :s-smilie:
sean kefw
But this is the whole point! That girl is not fat and is not skinny, in fact she seems the perfect size. Yet is being victimised

I agree she is not fat. She should however buy clothes that are actually her size, not the size she thinks she is. :p: :p:
sean kefw
But this is the whole point! That girl is not fat and is not skinny, in fact she seems the perfect size. Yet is being victimised

If thats 'perfect'.....
:puke:

Maybe for you buddy, maybe for you.

She's not immense but she's far from perfect, and she is on the larger side of the scale.
its obvious that picture was taken in the summer, so everyone wears skimpy clothes but who cares
if she's happy enough to show her body then why the hell should anyone criticise the way she looks?
Antonia87
Its saying that you wont lose weight if you keep eating starchy foods. It doesnt matter if you exercise - if you keep eating very starchy foods such as rice and potatoes, you're gonna struggle to lose weight.

No ****. No one expects to lose weight exercising and still eating like a pig, and it's not just the starchy foods, it's eating too much in general.

The whole purpose of this article is to attempt to blame the fact that everyone is so fat on someone. The funny thing is, everyone complains about the UK turning into a nanny state, and now they're saying the government didn't warn us so it's their fault.

But really, you can't blame anyone. When you realize you're putting on more weight than you should, what you should be thinking is "I should eat less and exercise more". Instead, people ignore that and continue with their lifestyle and then act like they turned into whales overnight and are like "I hardly eat anything must be my metabolism lol :littleangel:".
Reply 53
xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx
No ****. No one expects to lose weight exercising and still eating like a pig, and it's not just the starchy foods, it's eating too much in general.

The whole purpose of this article is to attempt to blame the fact that everyone is so fat on someone. The funny thing is, everyone complains about the UK turning into a nanny state, and now they're saying the government didn't warn us so it's their fault.

But really, you can't blame anyone. When you realize you're putting on more weight than you should, what you should be thinking is "I should eat less and exercise more". Instead, people ignore that and continue with their lifestyle and then act like they turned into whales overnight and are like "I hardly eat anything must be my metabolism lol :littleangel:".

:yep:
Finally people are opening their eyes to this deception

For further reading:
The Diet Delusion- Gary Taubes
Trick and Treat- Barry Groves
Reply 55
There is a general rule that anything above BMI 20-21 is fdisgusting and qualified as cattle.
Reply 56
sean kefw
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1247216/The-Big-Fat-Lies-Britains-obesity-epidemic.html

This campaign against people who are NOT superskinny is getting ridiculous. If i knew how to make a poll i would but either way, i felt totally disgusted at the daily mail using that photo, to describe obesity, of the young girl. Clearly she just has hips that she is trying to squeeze into a small dress but at least she has confidence to show off a bit of flesh.

Would they be saying she was fat if she had big boobs? NO! (not that we can see anyway)

Please join me in this campaign to say no to super-skinny!

LOL.
The Daily Fail is wrong on so many levels.

But to be fair I would call that girl in that photo fat, if only to get it through her apparently thick head that she looks ****ing hideous with that muffin top :rolleyes:
Reply 57
I would try researching these claims but:
a) The article was adapted from a book called "Big Fat Lies: Is Your Government Making You Fat?" :rolleyes:
b) Oh wait, the entire article is BY the author of that book, along with the price and ordering information at the bottom. :rolleyes:
c) She seems to have suggested in the opening that "Eat less, Do more", isn't an effective policy. :rolleyes:
d) As usual, this is all the damn governments fault! :rolleyes:
e) Jacket potatoes with beans is nice. :cool:

As for the girl pictured, she's a little tubby, nothing to cry about.
Reply 58
I am always suprised that the DM isn't involved in more lawsuits - it's one of the most misleading and manipulating papers in this country - just pure poison. I have learned never to take their sensationalist headlines as the truth anymore - it's all lies, hate, and pro-Conservative propoganda.

They'll cover their arses most of the time, by using vague terms and phrases such as 'allegations' and 'anonymous sources' or better yet 'some experts' - without of course actually naming any of these people - to cover up their sloppy research, biased reporting and poor quality journalism.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other disgusting papers out there, but at least the other disgusting tabloids - Daily Star, The Sun, the Daily Mirror, etc -know that they're nothing more than ****-rags and don't try to masquerade as anything intellectually or factually higher than that.

All articles are written in a tone of righteous indignation and moral outrage. It's often pure hypocrisy - it will speak with disdain and disapproval of any current young celebrity if they decide to go out baring a little too much flesh, and yet show all the pictures of them anyway

They'll come up with headlines that are at best exaggerated, at worst downright lies - I remember recently there was a headline 'five year olds to be taught about domestic violence in schools' Of course in the small print of the article, it turned out it was actually 15 and 16 year olds who would start to learn a bit about the issues of domestic violence, but of course, many would not read it that far.

Today, there was a story about the PM hitting one of his secretaries - again, all reports from nameless 'sources' - basically, totally unsubstantiated claims with no evidence at all, poisoning the mid of the British public. I'm astounded no-one's ever done them for libel - particularly in the wake on Jan Moir's repellent article on the death of Stephen Gately there's ample ground to - and I would judge any celebrity who give interviews with the DM for even associating themselves with such a shamelessly dishonest publication.

It will show a picture of a mildly fleshy, but still normal, teenage girl, under the heading 'obesity' and then on the same day in the 'femail' carry an article as to why average size women are still made to feel fat, and the obsession with 'super-skinny'. It's about the most factually contradictory, misleading, hypocritical excuse-for-journalism you can come across.

I feel so strongly about it that I want to start a campaign to get rid of it - no actually, that's censorship - but a campaign to at least show how much intelligent, liberal minded, progressive people hate it. Probably there's already an existing one on facebook. If not, I'm starting one.

/rant
I'm suprised to hear that eating less and moving more is NOT the way to lose weight after all.

Then what's the solution?

Latest

Trending

Trending