The Student Room Group

Three AS levels, will it look bad?

Sorry to post again D:
I despise Philosphy and Ethics, I really despise it. I loved RS at GCSE but now I can't stand it.

I'm considering just dropping it now and focusing on my other A levels - History, Drama and English Lit.
I want to go to Uni to study History and Politics, History or Contemporary History and I know where I want to apply.

Aberdeen - History
Leeds - History and Politics
Lancaster - History and English
Leicester - Contemporary History
Bristol - History

My worry would be that if I dropped RS now, I'd be frowned upon by these universities for only having Three AS levels.
Reply 1
i think maybe stick it out until may then drop it, some universities ask for a certain grade for your fourth AS level if you're only carrying on with three to A2.

i have a friend who applied to warwick and they made an offer for AAB and B at AS for the subject she dropped (she got a C originally, so she had to resit) so i think it's quite important to have a fourth AS level.

hope that's some help to you
Reply 2
Im actually in a great position to answer this :eek:

Basically last year I was studying History, Politics, Psychology and then floated around in ICT and business.

Soon decided I didnt want to do ICT or Business so kept the 3 and thought it might hamper me. Now this is where it gets tricky. Only do 3 if you think you can nail the 3 you are doing. I got A,B,A in the order of subjects I posted earlier.

Sent off my UCAS to Portsmouth, Southampton, Exeter, Essex and UEA and received offers from all of them to study History and Politics, except Exeter where it was only History.

I may have been a one off case but Id like to think im proof that doing 3 subjects doesnt have to hold you back if you make sure you can nail the subjects.

Feel free to ask more questions if you want :smile:
Reply 3
I applied with only three AS levels (all at grade A) and got into King's, Edinburgh and York. However, this was for English language and linguistic-based degrees and although fairly competitive (7 applicants per place at KCL) the subject isn't as popular as history. Work hard on your other three subjects and do well in them, but I would recommend sticking with philosophy and ethics unless you're really struggling with it. Maybe wait until the January exam results come out (if you took one in philosophy and ethics that is)?

Bristol will be super competitive for history so having three AS levels will put you at a disadvantage. However, I hope my UCAS application shows that having four AS grades isn't completely necessary to get offers from the top universities. If you hate it that much and it's affecting your other subjects then drop it. Make sure you do well in the others though (ideally AAB+ for history at university).
Reply 4
MDEH8176
I applied with only three AS levels (all at grade A) and got into King's, Edinburgh and York. However, this was for English language and linguistic-based degrees and although fairly competitive (7 applicants per place at KCL) the subject isn't as popular as history. Work hard on your other three subjects and do well in them, but I would recommend sticking with philosophy and ethics unless you're really struggling with it. Maybe wait until the January exam results come out (if you took one in philosophy and ethics that is)?

Bristol will be super competitive for history so having three AS levels will put you at a disadvantage. However, I hope my UCAS application shows that having four AS grades isn't completely necessary to get offers from the top universities. If you hate it that much and it's affecting your other subjects then drop it. Make sure you do well in the others though (ideally AAB+ for history at university).

Well, Aberdeen is the place I want to go and for 2010 entry they want CCC for History...
however, I'm not too sure about UCAS, if I had Aberdeen as my Insurance as opposed to my 'first choice' would I still be able to go there even if I got the grades for leicester/lancaster/leeds/bristol?
Reply 5
i done only three ASand i still got an offer from all my unis. im doin engineering dnt knw how much a difference that makes. my AS were terrible as well. but it does depend on wether ur unis asks for an AS. but so few ask, but its gd to check
Reply 6
Samus2
Well, Aberdeen is the place I want to go and for 2010 entry they want CCC for History...
however, I'm not too sure about UCAS, if I had Aberdeen as my Insurance as opposed to my 'first choice' would I still be able to go there even if I got the grades for Leicester/Lancaster/Leeds/bristol?

If Aberdeen is your first choice then you should be OK. I only suggested aiming for AAB+ because some of your other choices will be harder to get into. :smile:

If you put Lancaster as your firm with an AAB offer and you meet those grades come August results day then you are supposed to go to your firm. You can't decide between your insurance and your firm if you meet the grades for both. An insurance university is there if you do not meet the grades to get into your first choice. I have heard that you may be able to be released from your firm choice, but I don't know much about this and it certainly isn't a guaranteed option.
Reply 7
Im actually in a great position to answer this :eek:

Basically last year I was studying History, Politics, Psychology and then floated around in ICT and business.

Soon decided I didnt want to do ICT or Business so kept the 3 and thought it might hamper me. Now this is where it gets tricky. Only do 3 if you think you can nail the 3 you are doing. I got A,B,A in the order of subjects I posted earlier.

Sent off my UCAS to Portsmouth, Southampton, Exeter, Essex and UEA and received offers from all of them to study History and Politics, except Exeter where it was only History.

I may have been a one off case but Id like to think im proof that doing 3 subjects doesnt have to hold you back if you make sure you can nail the subjects.

Feel free to ask more questions if you want :smile:
Reply 8
MDEH8176
If Aberdeen is your first choice then you should be OK. I only suggested aiming for AAB+ because some of your other choices will be harder to get into. :smile:

If you put Lancaster as your firm with an AAB offer and you meet those grades come August results day then you are supposed to go to your firm. You can't decide between your insurance and your firm if you meet the grades for both. An insurance university is there if you do not meet the grades to get into your first choice. I have heard that you may be able to be released from your firm choice, but I don't know much about this and it certainly isn't a guaranteed option.

Ah okay, so once I put something as my 'firm' that's where I'm going providing I get the grades?
I'm fairly sure it's Aberdeen I want to go to, double checking for sure through open days in the summer though
Reply 9
Samus2
Ah okay, so once I put something as my 'firm' that's where I'm going providing I get the grades?
I'm fairly sure it's Aberdeen I want to go to, double checking for sure through open days in the summer though

Yeah, I'm sure that's how it works.

Good decision in visiting the universities over the summer. I should have done more of that! I love the album in your avatar btw. :biggrin:
Reply 10
MDEH8176
Yeah, I'm sure that's how it works.

Good decision in visiting the universities over the summer. I should have done more of that! I love the album in your avatar btw. :biggrin:

I've been wnating to get away for a good few years now D: ha!

Ah I love the YYY's. My plan for a tattoo is going to be related to them!
It's Blitz is my favourite album, I love the more romantisized take on their sound
Reply 11
If you think you can get AAA then go for it.

Maybe even AAB at a push.
I failed one of my AS subjects so only applied with 3 pretty average grades and have still received offers around ABB for 4 Universities (waiting on the fifth).

If you are confident that dropping the fourth will be beneficial and help you achieve more then you should go for it. Grades are only one part of an application, with a strong PS and reference there is no reason why you can't get many offers.

Latest