The Student Room Group

Help…What do I do? (Re DipHE / BS Hons Adult nursing )

Hi everyone, first post here, I am in a really difficult situation and I’m hoping that you can work this one out for me.
I’m an mature student hoping to return to full time education, and I’ve applied to the UEA for Dip HE & BSc Hons In Adult Nursing on paper have more than enough credits for either but I have been rejected! Apparently Due to academic shortfalls!

The UEA website currently States these requirements for the 2010 intake.

5 GCSEs at Grade C
English Language/Literature and Mathematics required
and Science preferred.

Also required - 2 A2 Levels at Grades EE
Academic Subjects required
excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking
plus English Language/Literature and Mathematics at GCSE Grade C and Science preferred.

"The School Admissions Officer and Course Director will consider other qualifications equivalent to those listed."

My results were as follows
English Language A - 06/2002 AQA
English Literature B - 06/2002 AQA

Science C 06/2002 AQA
Science C 06/2002 AQA

Mathematics D 06/2002 Edexcel (Equivalent to GCSE level C achieved by completion of Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Application Of Number CQ 07/2003 )

In total have 9 GCSES + 1 Short course, 8 of which are at C or Above 2 A's, 3 B's and 4 C's.

Art C 06/2002 Edexcel
Design & Technology: Food Technology B 06/2002 OCR
English Language A 06/2002 AQA
English Litrature B 06/2002 AQA
French C 06/2002 Edexcel
Information Studies A 06/2002 Edexcel
Mathematics D 06/2002 Edexcel
Science C 06/2002 AQA
Science C 06/2002 AQA
Religious Education B 06/2002 Edexcel

I have completed a BTEC 18 unit National Diploma equivalent to 3 A levels (M,P,P Or B,C,C 160 credits) NOT EE A2’s.

Horse Management (Equine Business Management) MPP 07/2004 Edexcel - Including elements on psychology and physiology

Additional academic level 2 & 3 studies include
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Application Of Number CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Communication CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Information Technology CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Advanced Award In Customer Care CQ 07/2003 Level 3
Interviewing Techniques 07/2003 1 Three
Challenging Behaviour 07/2003 1 Three
Personal Effectiveness 07/2003 1 Three
Planning For Future Needs 07/2003 1 Three

In addition to this I have a NEBDN Certificate in dental nursing (Level 3 - 2 year part time course) and I’m a SS&G certified dental radiographer! I am GDC Registered and have to complete CPD.

Sent an email straight back to UEA asking them to clarify the situation at which point they just returned with we do not recognise non GCSE or non Academic qualifications (I have a 18 unit BTEC National diploma and 4 Level 2 city and guilds not exactly the sort of qualifications that have not been heard of!) There advise?..... That I re do my GCSE’s followed by taking A levels, a sort of “see you in a decade” kind of attitude!

I currently work full time and earn about 17k a year, I’m married and have a 4 year old son and mortgage to pay I cant just go back to high school or take an access course which I cant afford.

Now what has really pissed me off is that Anglia Ruskin has said that I am overqualified for entry to both courses and they can’t understand why UEA have rejected me! Its great that the Anglia Ruskin have said I can apply to them but I live in Dereham, Norfolk and to attend Peterborough or Fulbourn would 3 hours of travelling per day or moving house and changing my sons schools, I really wanted to train as a nurse but I’m really not sure its going to be possible now and have been working as a Dental Nurse full time (41.25h p/w) for 3 ½ years now so I have shown serious commitment to nursing and now wanted to take a step into adult nursing.

My main question is can I complain to anyone? After all it’s the same qualification whether its from the UEA or Anglia Ruskin why should the academic requirements be so different? I would be interested to hear from people who are on the course at either UEA or AR and what qualifications you had to get in. Sorry to rant but not in the best of moods as you can probably imagine.

:mad:
Reply 1
It may be that UEA quite simply don't have any places to give right now (at any grade) so have decided to be picky. Nursing students are typically more likely to be mature than on some courses however so they must have some flexibility.
I was certainly told however that A to C grade in GCSE maths and english was a pre requisite so it could quite simply be the D in maths that's letting you down, tieing in with the statement that they need 5 GCSEs A-C including maths. Could you retake that? Check with them first though - they should be able to tell you that much!
Good luck!
Becky
Then ask them what they
it could be possible that you have been rejected because you have not taken any resent study (or so i assume).
generally unis will look at thoes candadates who have achieved the going rate within the last 3 years (it is kind of a unwritten rule).
i am a mature student and although i am well qualified i cannot apply to uni unless i do a level 3 short course beause i attaind my current qualifications 5years ago.

personally though, because they have not written that on their site you should continue to fight your case. ask form a more detailed report about our rejetion so you can look it over and fix it.

being a mature student can be a pain sometimes because a lot more is expected of you.
Reply 3
I'm also a mature student/full-time worker/mother-to-children, and have been offered a place on Anglia Ruskin's BSc nursing course (I'm waiting to hear about the MSc as I already have another degree).

It may be as others have noted that UEA simply don't have the space right now, or have so many competitive applications they can afford to be very picky. To be honest, your most recent studies appear to be at least 6 years old and don't have much to do with health care. A certificate in dental nursing may not be quite 'enough', in their eyes, since nursing requires a lot more than looking at people's teeth (I'm not diminishing what you do, but suspect this might be the attitude)!

I would most certainly ask the admissions tutor for feedback on your application; most are happy to oblige and they will know exactly why you were turned down for a place. Ring them and email them until you get a response. I might suggest being polite but persistent with them (no matter how justifiably angry you are:smile: ) as you don't want to scupper your future chances.

One other piece of advice would be to get a job as a health care assistant at the regional hospital, maybe bank staff for a couple of shifts a week. One of the things that made my own application quite strong was that a) I had evidence of very recent medically-related study (CPR/AED certification two years ago, plus courses in anatomy, microbiology etc. that I did 'for fun') and b) I held a job as a HCA in a large hospital for about 7 months. I know it's really difficult to do with kids (where is the time??) but you might also try volunteering at a local nursing home, maybe every other weekend or so. You can't beat direct experience with all the aspects of personal care, and hospital/nursing homes are likely to provide you with plenty of it.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a prevailing attitude toward mature students, especially if we didn't manage 12 A** in the sunny days of our youth. We are expected to have more experience under our belts to counteract the lack of really stonking grades.

Fulbourn would be your closest option, which isn't close at all to Dereham. If accepted to Anglia, could you do the part-time course, maybe? It would be a stretch, but possible.

But definitely ask for feedback. Nicely. :wink:

AG:smile:
Reply 4
Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful suggestions with this one.

I just feel i want to clarify a few points especially about "not training" over the last few years

Firstly my BETEC Diploma carries 160 ucas tariff points so should be eligible for either DipHE or BSC course.

The NEBDN (National examination board for dental nurses) Certificate is a Level 3, 2 year qualification for which I studied August 2006 - August 2008, upon qualification i was eligible for entry to the dental care professionals register, I then went on to train in dental radiography allowing me to administer doses of radiation to the head for intraoral and extra oral (head/skull xrays) this course took approximately 1 year and i sat my final exam December 2009. So as you can see i have spent the last 3 years or the 5 studying further education.

Also to elaborate on Archergirls point.

"A certificate in dental nursing may not be quite 'enough', in their eyes, since nursing requires a lot more than looking at people's teeth (I'm not diminishing what you do, but suspect this might be the attitude)!"

I do agree with you that Dental nursing is widely looked down upon but in the right practice it is a complex job. How many people entering Nursing would have had the experience i have dealing with things that have become second nature to me and will need to be second nature in general nursing such as disinfection, decontamination, sterilisation, sharps and clinical wastes. I am also lucky enough to assist with minor oral surgeries such as biopsy's, soft tissue retractions, and jaw/alveolar bone removal and of course IV conscious sedation all of which i have fully explained in my CV/UCAS application.

I also agree with you & the current news stories that UEA may just be oversubscribed, (So Far have been turned down for DipHE ODP at UEA BSC still pending) my main grumble was that UEA and AR have such different entry requirements not sure its fair.

My husband and I have discussed this at length and subject to final offer and funding being in place we are going to relocate the Norwich side of cambridge to enable me to study and take a good placement as i'm really passionate about nursing.

Would love to chat to anyone on Nursing courses at Anglia Ruskin.
By the looks of it you've been rejected because you have a D for GCSE maths. Resit that and then reapply next year. I know that you state that the other aspects make it the equivalent of a C but the university may not agree with that or the person viewing your application may not be aware of it being equivalent to a C.

Perhaps you should phone them again and point it out to them before making major changes to your life.
Emness
Hi guys, thanks for all the helpful suggestions with this one.

I just feel i want to clarify a few points especially about "not training" over the last few years

Firstly my BETEC Diploma carries 160 ucas tariff points so should be eligible for either DipHE or BSC course.

The NEBDN (National examination board for dental nurses) Certificate is a Level 3, 2 year qualification for which I studied August 2006 - August 2008, upon qualification i was eligible for entry to the dental care professionals register, I then went on to train in dental radiography allowing me to administer doses of radiation to the head for intraoral and extra oral (head/skull xrays) this course took approximately 1 year and i sat my final exam December 2009. So as you can see i have spent the last 3 years or the 5 studying further education.

Also to elaborate on Archergirls point.

"A certificate in dental nursing may not be quite 'enough', in their eyes, since nursing requires a lot more than looking at people's teeth (I'm not diminishing what you do, but suspect this might be the attitude)!"

I do agree with you that Dental nursing is widely looked down upon but in the right practice it is a complex job. How many people entering Nursing would have had the experience i have dealing with things that have become second nature to me and will need to be second nature in general nursing such as disinfection, decontamination, sterilisation, sharps and clinical wastes. I am also lucky enough to assist with minor oral surgeries such as biopsy's, soft tissue retractions, and jaw/alveolar bone removal and of course IV conscious sedation all of which i have fully explained in my CV/UCAS application.

I also agree with you & the current news stories that UEA may just be oversubscribed, (So Far have been turned down for DipHE ODP at UEA BSC still pending) my main grumble was that UEA and AR have such different entry requirements not sure its fair.

My husband and I have discussed this at length and subject to final offer and funding being in place we are going to relocate the Norwich side of cambridge to enable me to study and take a good placement as i'm really passionate about nursing.

Would love to chat to anyone on Nursing courses at Anglia Ruskin.

I've kept an eye on this thread for a while- but like the guy above me has mentioned, you have a D in maths- you need atleast a C in this, this is VITAL, and maths is a core area of nursing

as for the dental nursing..someone could apply with a medical degree and list the amount of skills they have, but when it comes to being a nurse, you could have done open heart surgery in kosovo but it still wouldn't have relayed to the admissions tutors what it shows about your understanding about nursing!
OP - if you are really dedicated to nursing, and you can only go to that uni, then you may need to take a few GCSEs in a year (with maths) and the year after take a few alevels then in two years time you will have the qualifications. you could do this all distance learning an continue to work full time. seem a bit of a pain but to be honest you have to accept that becasue you have family commitments your career/education will suffer. it is not unfair it is just life.
Reply 8
I just wanted to say it must be the university that you have chosen or the rules have changed as I started the nursing Dip in 06 and the dental nurse qualification which I had plus 4 GCSEs was enough to get me onto the course contradictory to the others on this subject I did not have maths!. It may be the fact that they have had too many applicants this intake and are being picky. Perhapse if you try for the next intake it may be a different story. Wish you well.
Reply 9
julie woods
I just wanted to say it must be the university that you have chosen or the rules have changed as I started the nursing Dip in 06 and the dental nurse qualification which I had plus 4 GCSEs was enough to get me onto the course contradictory to the others on this subject I did not have maths!. It may be the fact that they have had too many applicants this intake and are being picky. Perhapse if you try for the next intake it may be a different story. Wish you well.

Hi, Nice to hear from someone who understands! I now have an Interview at AR for the BSc Hons course :woo: They have excepted all my qualifications without having to add any more credit for Dental Nursing or Radiography. Fingers Crossed. Best of luck with your Dip x x x
Reply 10
Hi,

Don't feel down hearted about UEA. You definately sound as though you have the skills/quals to do nursing.

UEA is now rated as second in the country for nursing (Edinburgh is 1st). They apparently got loads more applications this year as a result so could afford to picky I guess!!

Good Luck for the future and don't give up!!!
Reply 11
Original post by Emness
Hi everyone, first post here, I am in a really difficult situation and I’m hoping that you can work this one out for me.
I’m an mature student hoping to return to full time education, and I’ve applied to the UEA for Dip HE & BSc Hons In Adult Nursing on paper have more than enough credits for either but I have been rejected! Apparently Due to academic shortfalls!

The UEA website currently States these requirements for the 2010 intake.

5 GCSEs at Grade C
English Language/Literature and Mathematics required
and Science preferred.

Also required - 2 A2 Levels at Grades EE
Academic Subjects required
excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking
plus English Language/Literature and Mathematics at GCSE Grade C and Science preferred.

"The School Admissions Officer and Course Director will consider other qualifications equivalent to those listed."

My results were as follows
English Language A - 06/2002 AQA
English Literature B - 06/2002 AQA

Science C 06/2002 AQA
Science C 06/2002 AQA

Mathematics D 06/2002 Edexcel (Equivalent to GCSE level C achieved by completion of Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Application Of Number CQ 07/2003 )

In total have 9 GCSES + 1 Short course, 8 of which are at C or Above 2 A's, 3 B's and 4 C's.

Art C 06/2002 Edexcel
Design & Technology: Food Technology B 06/2002 OCR
English Language A 06/2002 AQA
English Litrature B 06/2002 AQA
French C 06/2002 Edexcel
Information Studies A 06/2002 Edexcel
Mathematics D 06/2002 Edexcel
Science C 06/2002 AQA
Science C 06/2002 AQA
Religious Education B 06/2002 Edexcel

I have completed a BTEC 18 unit National Diploma equivalent to 3 A levels (M,P,P Or B,C,C 160 credits) NOT EE A2’s.

Horse Management (Equine Business Management) MPP 07/2004 Edexcel - Including elements on psychology and physiology

Additional academic level 2 & 3 studies include
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Application Of Number CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Communication CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Key Skills Award, Level 2 - Information Technology CQ 07/2003 Level 2
Advanced Award In Customer Care CQ 07/2003 Level 3
Interviewing Techniques 07/2003 1 Three
Challenging Behaviour 07/2003 1 Three
Personal Effectiveness 07/2003 1 Three
Planning For Future Needs 07/2003 1 Three

In addition to this I have a NEBDN Certificate in dental nursing (Level 3 - 2 year part time course) and I’m a SS&G certified dental radiographer! I am GDC Registered and have to complete CPD.

Sent an email straight back to UEA asking them to clarify the situation at which point they just returned with we do not recognise non GCSE or non Academic qualifications (I have a 18 unit BTEC National diploma and 4 Level 2 city and guilds not exactly the sort of qualifications that have not been heard of!) There advise?..... That I re do my GCSE’s followed by taking A levels, a sort of “see you in a decade” kind of attitude!

I currently work full time and earn about 17k a year, I’m married and have a 4 year old son and mortgage to pay I cant just go back to high school or take an access course which I cant afford.

Now what has really pissed me off is that Anglia Ruskin has said that I am overqualified for entry to both courses and they can’t understand why UEA have rejected me! Its great that the Anglia Ruskin have said I can apply to them but I live in Dereham, Norfolk and to attend Peterborough or Fulbourn would 3 hours of travelling per day or moving house and changing my sons schools, I really wanted to train as a nurse but I’m really not sure its going to be possible now and have been working as a Dental Nurse full time (41.25h p/w) for 3 ½ years now so I have shown serious commitment to nursing and now wanted to take a step into adult nursing.

My main question is can I complain to anyone? After all it’s the same qualification whether its from the UEA or Anglia Ruskin why should the academic requirements be so different? I would be interested to hear from people who are on the course at either UEA or AR and what qualifications you had to get in. Sorry to rant but not in the best of moods as you can probably imagine.

:mad:

hiya, in response to your message, i myself has spent the past ten years working in a nhs mental hopstial on all sides off mental illness, acute wards, intensive care wards the whole lot. I also have all my ten gcse allgrades b and above and also all my nvq 1-4 in health and social care. i applied to do my mental health nurse training and though i had all the qualifications and more importantly TEN years experence i.e i was not going into the course not knowing what it entailed hence half wat through the course dropping out because it wasnt what i thought it would be!) i was refused by 4 universitys on the terms i didnt meet expectations they required though two of my friends who dont meet the requirments got a place. Finally i was excepted by my last choice but not to mental health but adult nursing what i have no experience of at all. I dont understand how they choose there students but honestly i think the whole selection corrupt and if your face fits your good to go. I wouldnt let this knock your confidence maybe try and apply next time but apply for the intake the year after that way there will plenty places they wil lhave to fill
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xlexi
hiya, in response to your message, i myself has spent the past ten years working in a nhs mental hopstial on all sides off mental illness, acute wards, intensive care wards the whole lot. I also have all my ten gcse allgrades b and above and also all my nvq 1-4 in health and social care. i applied to do my mental health nurse training and though i had all the qualifications and more importantly TEN years experence i.e i was not going into the course not knowing what it entailed hence half wat through the course dropping out because it wasnt what i thought it would be!) i was refused by 4 universitys on the terms i didnt meet expectations they required though two of my friends who dont meet the requirments got a place. Finally i was excepted by my last choice but not to mental health but adult nursing what i have no experience of at all. I dont understand how they choose there students but honestly i think the whole selection corrupt and if your face fits your good to go. I wouldnt let this knock your confidence maybe try and apply next time but apply for the intake the year after that way there will plenty places they wil lhave to fill

This thread is more than 2 years old, so I'm pretty sure they'll started their training by now! :smile:
Reply 13
I would most certainly ask the admissions tutor for feedback on your application; most are happy to oblige and they will know exactly why you were turned down for a place. Ring them and email them until you get a response. I might suggest being polite but persistent with them (no matter how justifiably angry you are ) as you don't want to scupper your future chances.

Quick Reply

Latest