The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Diaz89
holy **** and I applied to Durham as well

Note it's not to do with the university or even the student union, it was a society inviting them to a debate. Why? No idea, perhaps comic relief.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
meowmeowmutiny
Note it's not to do with the university or even the student union, it was a society inviting them to a debate. Why? No idea, perhaps comic relief.

So the Durham crowd aren't necessarily BNP panderers?
MaceyThe
Thanks!:love:

However, it's a view picked up from paying more attention to older, more life-experienced (and probably more cynical:s-smilie:) people, rather than idealistic students still wet behind the ears that like getting involved in fashionable causes.:wink:

If by life experienced you mean racist and uneducated then yeah sure.
Diaz89
So the Durham crowd aren't necessarily BNP panderers?

The vast majority of the people I know are planning on voting lib dem :s-smilie: . I don't think a fairly highly ranked higher education institute is really where the bulk of the BNP fans go. I don't know much about the DUS but I suspect they probably just couldn't get hold of anyone competent to argue the against in the debate :rolleyes:
Reply 24
meowmeowmutiny
The vast majority of the people I know are planning on voting lib dem :s-smilie: . I don't think a fairly highly ranked higher education institute is really where the bulk of the BNP fans go. I don't know much about the DUS but I suspect they probably just couldn't get hold of anyone competent to argue the against in the debate :rolleyes:

Right, thanks for the reassurance :p:
Sounds like a fun night...I hope Griffin comes to Leeds or Bradford Uni so I could go watch the evening unfold :moon:
This just made me infinitely more sad that I got rejected from Durham. Would have liked to have seen what they're going to say.
Diaz89
Right, thanks for the reassurance :p:

No worries. I would go along to enjoy the jeering and booing but I'm not a member. Tehe~
az1992
I dislike BNP but still think they should be given a chance to free speech.

However I cant help but be a snobby **** and point out your misuse of terms. You have stated that these students are left wing yet you call them fascists, an ideology associated with the right?

Also until yestaday I also believed that anarchism was merely a word to describe chaos and those who wanted rioting. However I must inform you that it appears to be a genuine ideology that, as far as im aware, aims to have the states involvement put at a minimal amount or eradicate it altogether.

Ironic also how the description that guy uses of the UAF is how many more would describe BNP...............just a thought

People's definitions of right and left wing differ greatly, I prefer to use the terms purely in the economic sense. Besides, communists are pretty fascist and they're left wing :smile:
Reply 29
Remarqable M
If durham invites the bnp then that is going to look bad on them. Anyways i don't know why im
botherin with this i don't even go to durham university lol

Durham (the university) didn't invite the BNP. But I don't see how it reflects badly on the university anyway (only amongst the thick who see BNP = Evil and anyone who wishes to engage in a debate with a legitimate political party are somehow BNP sympathisers.

Norfolkadam
Freedom of Speech. Simple as. It really is that simple.

The BNP should not be banned and anyone who says otherwise is against freedom of speech.

Quite. I'd expect students to be a little bit more sensible about things like this (including those who describe themselves as liberals) but then I am naive :p:

Anyway, I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with them invading my philosophy seminar with a rendition of "Rule Brittania" and then Jerusalem from their huge campaign van.

arkbar
You're bonkers.

Aren't we all arkbar, aren't we all......
Reply 30
az1992

Ironic also how the description that guy uses of the UAF is how many more would describe BNP...............just a thought

That is the irony I was highlighting.:rolleyes:
The UAF claim to be "anti-fascists" and "fighting the Nazi's" (a ludicrous claim in itself,) yet they regularly:
- Use violence against their political opponents (like the Nazi's did,)
- Break-up BNP debates/meets and generally cause trouble (like the Nazi's did to their opponent parties,)
- Try and ban political opponents from having jobs (like the Nazi's did, and like UAF have tried to do to the BNP.)

Now, that's FASCISM!!

A few examples:
BNP members car fire-bombed

BNP member smashed over head with claw-hammer, and their fund-raising van smashed up and over-turned.
Watch the so-called "anti-fascists" running at the BNP members

Here's another video of some moronic "anti-fascist" spitting in a young woman's face whilst she's being interviewed by the BBC because she's a BNP councilor. Then he accuses her of "gassing 6 million Jews" before launching in to the usual "Off our streets" rhetoric. ..............what a pleb!:rolleyes:

The real fascists are the so called "anti-fascists!":woo:
Reply 31
MaceyThe
That is the irony I was highlighting.:rolleyes:
The UAF claim to be "anti-fascists" and "fighting the Nazi's" (a ludicrous claim in itself,) yet they regularly:
- Use violence against their political opponents (like the Nazi's did,)
- Break-up BNP debates/meets and generally cause trouble (like the Nazi's did to their opponent parties,)
- Try and ban political opponents from having jobs (like the Nazi's did, and like UAF have tried to do to the BNP.)

Now, that's FASCISM!!(do you actually know what fascism is?)

A few examples:
BNP members car fire-bombed

BNP member smashed over head with claw-hammer, and their fund-raising van smashed up and over-turned.
Watch the so-called "anti-fascists" running at the BNP members

Here's another video of some moronic "anti-fascist" spitting in a young woman's face whilst she's being interviewed by the BBC because she's a BNP councilor. Then he accuses her of "gassing 6 million Jews" before launching in to the usual "Off our streets" rhetoric. ..............what a pleb!:rolleyes:

The real fascists are the so called "anti-fascists!":woo:

wait, wait, wait while i think this UAF lot seem from what you say like mugs who have jumped on the first cause that came their way, are you telling me that BNP or atleast organizations like EDL dont get up to similar activities?

I think trying to compare groups like UAF to fascism is abit too far.

here is my amendments, remembering that I have no loyalty to either a far right nor a far left group.

BNP
- Use violence against their political opponents (well although not directly responsible for violence, many of their members hold convictions for offences of physical violence and many sister organizations intimidate opponents by putting up their details on the internet.
- Break-up BNP debates/meets and generally cause trouble (well no but I have seen 1st hand and on yotube videos of edl or similar organizations marching through areas shouting pakis and so forth)
- Try and ban political opponents from having jobs (How can the UAF ban opponents from having jobs thats an absurd and paranoid claim. Their just a bunch of crabby students not ceos of big companies)

Now i think UAF are slightly silly as their only quabble with the BNP seems to be that their "racist"

I dislike BNP because
Their policies are contradictory and aim to capitalise on the papers most controversial issues on the running of this country.
Dont actually make a great deal of sense
Will lead to the economic and subsequent social ruin of this country.

Theres also the issue of demonising Islam but thats for another thread....................
Reply 32
Guys, this is the Current Durham Students forum. It's to discuss the BNP being invited to a debate by the DUS and whether we agree with it or not. Ideally for Durham students.

Discussing the UAF and things, this can all take place in Debate and Discussion.
isawsparks89

I saw there was an anti BNP stall thing outside elvet riverside at about 2pm yday and I was like :sigh:

They were not claiming to be representing the Labour party would they?
Reply 34
Give them the rope to hang themselves is all I have to say.
Reply 35
On the whole Durham theme...

I saw the van go past the science site today and thought it was dead funny. Does anybody think there'll be protests/stalls or whatnot in and around the science site? Do we think that the UAF protest will take place on Palace Green? Are we likely to have another referendum about NUS affiliation given the massive backlash on the facebook group?

I personally hope the answer to all the above questions is yes.
Kali_89
On the whole Durham theme...

I saw the van go past the science site today and thought it was dead funny. Does anybody think there'll be protests/stalls or whatnot in and around the science site? Do we think that the UAF protest will take place on Palace Green? Are we likely to have another referendum about NUS affiliation given the massive backlash on the facebook group?

If you can get the signatures, then you can have your own way on this. Get together with like minded people on the science site with a few sheets of paper, it shouldn't take too long to get the signatures you need. I would sign.
*River
Give them the rope to hang themselves is all I have to say.

Exactly, I'd go and watch them do it.
Reply 38
MaceyThe
x

Are you some sort of walking Godwins-law invoker and BNP apologist[e]?
Reply 39
Kali_89
Are we likely to have another referendum about NUS affiliation given the massive backlash on the facebook group?

There is now a facebook group relating to exactly that.

One thing that has amused me from the letter the NUS wrote is
You are bound under Race Relations legislation to promote equality of opportunity

Just as long as we don't dislike what you say, presumably.

Latest