The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sussex has a very good rep for english, thats why i chose it :smile:. Its definatly an up and coming uni, rising in the league tables and is in the top 60 unis in the world i believe, or it may be europe.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Sussex is, according the Guardian 2005 league tables (IIRC), technically the best University in the country for English. It's very competive for English, especially and recent surges in application mean that, whilst the uni may find itself temporarily understaffed and underfunded, in the next couple of years it's profile is going to rise rapidly. It's better for modern literature and interdisciplinary stuff than intense analysis of the 'classic texts'.
Reply 3
its not a very old university though is it? I mean the course seams better than some others because its so modern and relative to todays issues rather than the study of ancient language or something. but one of the downsides for me is that it doesn't seam to have much history behind it.
Reply 4
It has quite a lot of modern history. The current President of South Africa went there as did several prominent politicians. Its definetly a rising uni and you never know, you could make history there rather than learn about the past of another uni!
Reply 5
i wouldnt even say say it's a rising uni, it's definitely up there with the durhams, yorks, warwicks etc. Its really well respected and i think it's 40th in the world. it's really impressive to have a degree from sussex. and it is hard to get in to as well, you don't meet many people with people a B at a level, most have A's.
Reply 6
No, it hasn't got much history...
used to be one of those Polytechnics rather than a regular Uni.

I mean, not getting into Cambridge was ok for me,
but when I mention Sussex no-one's heard of it at all!!
I always have to add ("..in Brighton") and then they talk about the place,
and never say anything about the Uni itself. TBH a bit disheartening really. :frown:
Reply 7
No it didn't, it was never a polytechnic. It was built from scratch in 1961, and it has a strong tradition of political activism...
Reply 8
Yeah! When I told Jack Straw where I was (hopefully) going to uni he called me a radical lefty!! And he used to be pretty damn radical at his uni so thats saying something!
Reply 9
When did you speak to Jack Straw?!
Reply 10
In March I think at No. 10. I really sound like a name dropper now! I got invited to some reception thing and there were cabinet ministers, PM and other MPs there. He was a really nice guy and spent quite a lot of time talking to me. Tony Blair was nice to but didn't talk as long as he wasn't there for as long and had other people to talk to. But, I was literaly rubbing shoulders with him whole time as he was standning behind me! What was most embarrassing though was I was talking to the MP I help out about whether Brown or Blair was sexier and he (Blair) came down stairs behind me!
Reply 11
when u say it was a polytechnic perhaps your thinking of Brighton uni as opposed to sussex
^^^ No, I meant Sussex... but I'm just grossly misinformed! :tongue:

I think my mum told me it was - maybe it was an elitist assumption.
Her line might have been that anything under a hundred years old
doesn't deserve to be called a proper Uni (oo-err). But that's parents for you!
Reply 13
crazydaveuk
^^^ No, I meant Sussex... but I'm just grossly misinformed! :tongue:

I think my mum told me it was - maybe it was an elitist assumption.
Her line might have been that anything under a hundred years old
doesn't deserve to be called a proper Uni (oo-err). But that's parents for you!

it was definitely never a polytechnic! it was built in the 60s, same as Warwick - don't think you'd call that a poly, would you?!

it's in the top 20 in the UK and within the top 50 worldwide. It's well respected in the states as well as the UK. everyone i've spoken to about it (who matters - potential employers, teachers etc) have heard of it and speak highly of it. methinks you are speaking to the wrong people!
Reply 14
Well personally I am estatic that I'm going to Sussex. Its got a good reputation with the people who are important, fantastic area, good departments, especially for subject ;english. I'm not that bothered if it doesnt have as much history as other unis, because as it rises in ranks it is creating a history of its own, and one day it won't just be in the top 20 unis, it will be in the top 10.
Reply 15
to be honest, one of the reasons i like it is it's not bogged down in loads of tradition...it uses a variety of teaching methods - tutorials etc - as well as being more modern (americanised?) so you get the best of both worlds :smile:
Reply 16
Yeh, its a modern uni.

Its is however very sixties, with concrete and stuff. Though its set right in the south downs.

Brighton Uni is the old polytechnic. Unfortunately for sussex the two seem to get a bit mixed up at times.
Sussex University is very highly respected - a friend of mine nearly chose Sussex over Oxford for his Phd in English. Funnily enough, now that he's completed his Phd, he says he wished he'd opted for Sussex!
Reply 18
ktr18
it's really impressive to have a degree from sussex. and it is hard to get in to as well, you don't meet many people with people a B at a level, most have A's.

That has to depend on the subject . . .

I have a south american girl friend who attends (not in English) and done very average in her A levels. In fact she only done 2 with 1 AS. None of them were particularly impressive, but then I guess that is her particluar degree that she is reading for.
walshie
That has to depend on the subject . . .

I have a south american girl friend who attends (not in English) and done very average in her A levels. In fact she only done 2 with 1 AS. None of them were particularly impressive, but then I guess that is her particluar degree that she is reading for.

A university's reputation isn't based solely on entry requirements. Like most universities, Sussex will have courses that are undersubscribed/unpopular; it is also worth noting that Sussex has not entered clearing for the past 2 years. Anyway, your friend may have impressed the admissions tutor - I know of people who got into Oxbridge with a C in one of their A Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending