The Student Room Group

What nationality are you?

Scroll to see replies

Dutch/nigerian
Proudly Mozambican
British :biggrin:
I'm French and Belgian by nationality, but I lived in England for 12 years and I have lived in Switzerland for the past almost 4 years.
OP gets 7 negs for saying the "N" word. l1btards not happy.
As far as I'm aware, I'm fully English - though tbh other countries have been around a lot longer than we have, so I would not be surprised to find I'm part something else.
Iranian
Original post by Dorito
Technically I guess I'm British but I identify as English.

I have bits of Welsh and Irish in me too.

On a seperate note, I don't really understand some peoples obsession with nationality and national pride, why be proud of something you have no say in? Maybe that's just me being miserable though. :ahee:

This.

Well it's fine if you wanna acknowledge your roots but what's with nationalism?
I am of the recognised minority Swedish-Finnish in my country. I don't speak Finnish bar a few words and grew up in Sweden. However, I might actually have dual citizenship, but it's still unclear. At the end of the day, I would say that my nationality is Swedish.
Pakistani. :smile:
Irish. I live in N.Ireland which is in UK but am Irish by family descent and have Irish passport, etc
Reply 1611
Slovak :smile:
Original post by SamTheMan
It's your nationality people :rolleyes:, not your origin or ethnicity. If you're Bangladeshi and born in the UK, you have British nationality unless you apply for Bangladeshi nationality at the embassy or in Bangladesh and even then, I'm not sure that suffices... You have a nationality when you can own a passport of that country for example. You then become a national of that country: you can be a British national and have any kind of ethnic background.

I have British and French nationalities by the way...own two passports.

This is completely true, though all ethnic Bangladeshis (i.e. children/grandchildren of Bangladeshi citizens) are free to claim dual nationality as well as a Bangladeshi passport. Sure, they actually have to claim it first, but I think it's fair to say that such people are de facto Bangladeshis.
Reply 1613
I am Canadian, living in England right now.

I do hold UK citizenship as well, but I identify as Canadian (or English-Canadian).
Currently hold both British and Japanese nationalities but will have to choose when I'm 21 due to Japanese law :frown:
Original post by KnitwearJunkie
Currently hold both British and Japanese nationalities but will have to choose when I'm 21 due to Japanese law :frown:

Why Japanese law forces you to decide between two nationalities? I'm interest in Japan so much, so I would love to get an answer. I want to know both the bad and the good sides of Japan.
(edited 10 years ago)
im Italian-Nigerian but I feel more Italian as I lived there all my life before moving into the uk
Original post by KnitwearJunkie

hmm that's interesting , which one do you think you will choose ?
Original post by lilmissA
hmm that's interesting , which one do you think you will choose ?

Most likely British but I'd much prefer to keep both if it was allowed. :frown:
Original post by Kallisto
Why Japanese law forces you to decide between two nationalities? I'm interest in Japan so much, so I would love to get an answer. I want to know both the bad and the good sides of Japan.

I'm not actually sure. All I was told by the Japanese Embassy is that I have to choose between the two otherwise I will automatically lose my Japanese one because I live in Britain. Other than that, I love Japan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest