The Student Room Group

What nationality are you?

Scroll to see replies

Irish born and bred for generations. Will likely end up diluting that component in the future but who knows.
Nigerian origins, but Irish nationality - born and lived there my whole life. Tbh, consider myself more Irish than I ever will Nigerian.
English
Original post by Novascope
Interesting...

What are you trying to imply?
Original post by Some Bad Karma
What are you trying to imply?

Just interesting that you said it's you. British born huh, so you've lived in the UK all your life right?
Just interesting that you said it's you. British born huh, so you've lived in the UK all your life right?

Oh, okay... why is interesting that I said it's me? British born, yes, I am. But I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion that I've lived in the UK all my life, because I know I've never said that.
Oh, okay... why is interesting that I said it's me? British born, yes, I am. But I'm confused as to how you came to the conclusion that I've lived in the UK all my life, because I know I've never said that.

Was just a simple question as I'm curious lol. Guessing by your response you've lived somewhere else then?
Was just a simple question as I'm curious lol. Guessing by your response you've lived somewhere else then?

Oh lool, for some reason I had received the impression that you thought I was some sort of fraud hence the reason I went into defense mode, sorry lol.

Yeah, I've lived in the US, to be precise, Georgia and I've also lived in France, only for about a year though.
Oh lool, for some reason I had received the impression that you thought I was some sort of fraud hence the reason I went into defense mode, sorry lol.

Yeah, I've lived in the US, to be precise, Georgia and I've also lived in France, only for about a year though.

Nahh haha, just a weird coincidence that I was on twitter looking through accounts for girls with natural hair etc, and one page tweeted a link/picture of you (a little while back). Your hair was different so I didn't realise right away until I saw the linked insta account and saw the same pic you have on here, and cos it suggested the girl was from the U.S, I was confused when I saw you mention the UK, that's all haha.
Scottish
Polish :yeah:
Nahh haha, just a weird coincidence that I was on twitter looking through accounts for girls with natural hair etc, and one page tweeted a link/picture of you (a little while back). Your hair was different so I didn't realise right away until I saw the linked insta account and saw the same pic you have on here, and cos it suggested the girl was from the U.S, I was confused when I saw you mention the UK, that's all haha.

Oh right, lool.
(edited 8 years ago)
Chinese lol
I am English

I won't get a yellow card for racism will I?
(edited 8 years ago)
British born West Indian (Grenada, St.Lucia and Antigua) - with Indian on both parents side, and Chinese from Mums side.
Romanian :biggrin:
Original post by Kallisto
As you have a Jamaican origin, do you speak English with a creole tongue? As far as I know its a part of Jamaican language and culture.

Are you asking if I speak patois?

If so, then no. I speak English as most people do in London, slang and all. Like I said I've been here for most of my life so I do sound like I was born here rather than in Jamaica.

Speaking patois is not everyday because not everyone understands it so you'll only really hear it when jamaicans are conversing with other jamaicans. Similarly I only speak in that way around family.
Original post by beaverhausen
Are you asking if I speak patois?

If so, then no. I speak English as most people do in London, slang and all. Like I said I've been here for most of my life so I do sound like I was born here rather than in Jamaica.

Speaking patois is not everyday because not everyone understands it so you'll only really hear it when jamaicans are conversing with other jamaicans. Similarly I only speak in that way around family.

Yeah, the word which I searched for was patois. So creole is passed down from generation to generation in Jamaica?
Original post by Kallisto
Yeah, the word which I searched for was patois. So creole is passed down from generation to generation in Jamaica?

We don't call it creole just want to point that out again. And it's hardly another language, just broken English with slang words that are influenced by other languages which is what happens with normal english anyway.

I don't know if it's passed down, it's picked up really. Just how if you lived in London you would pick up and adopt certain ways of saying things or different words for certain things.

Quick Reply

Latest