The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

red_roadkill
I completely agree with you, Beekeeper.

I can't believe your thread "All christians want is for homosexuals to burn in hell" was classed as attempting to incite racial hatred! Wtf!? I think it was a silly thing to post [despite the fact that it was probably intended to be far fetched] but homosexuality is not a race, neither is Christianity. So race did not come into your thread - at all.

Well then, it was probably closed really for religious hatred, which as we've seen is closely tied to racial hatred.
Onearmedbandit
religious hatred, which ... is closely tied to racial hatred.

What on earth are you on about? Religion is ideological.

MB
musicbloke
What on earth are you on about? Religion is ideological.

MB

Perhaps you didn't catch my drift.

What I meant is that religious and racial hatred are given similar treatment on this site.

Sorry for the ambiguity.
Reply 63
I would like to express my absolute agreement with the threadstarter. :smile:
Reply 64
Acaila
Not wanting to get involved, but isn't inciting religious hatred now an offence as well? I seem to recall something on the news about that reasonably recently.
{hugs the denizens of the thread and wanders out}

Unfortunately the Labour party thought they'd throw the Muslim Council of Britain a bone in return for some votes. The tyrant Blair either blissfully clueless to the fact that the Quran would be one of the worst offenders under the new legislation, or with every intention of applying it about as inconsistently(read: in favour of Muslims) as I imagine it would be in the religious section of D+D.
Reply 65
Beekeeper
If I said "Christians usually want homosexuals to burn in hell" in public, I would not be punished.

It is personal opinion, and I would be using my own freedom of speech, a fundamental civil liberty.
Why do these civil liberties not exist on TSR?

The statement does verge on the slanderous and many Christians, including gay ones such as myself, would find it deeply offensive. However, that is an aside.

My feelings are that people are too obsessed with their rights and not sufficiently concerned with their responsibilities (this is not directly aimed at you beekeeper it was just your comment that inspired this post). As someone once said "great privileges confer great responsibilities." Freedom of speech is a great privilege and as such people should use it responsibly. Sadly, a minority try to justify abhorrent views such as Racial hatred, homophobia etc etc etc... on this basis. As long as people such as BNP supporters and on the other extreme fundamental religious preachers continue to try and push the boundaries this fundamental privilege will be reduced and that is a great shame.

This privilege of free speech should be used with responsibility. It is obvious to anybody when a statement will cause widespread offence and as such should be viewed as unacceptable.

The same principals could be applied to the forum. Without being too presumptious I am sure that the administrators would be delighted if they did not have to appoint moderators because everyone used the forum responsibly and didn't stretch the privilege to a point that posts have to be deleted etc...

Of course that is not an excuse to kerb debate. Controversial and sensitive issues can be discussed and debated even with an aggressive debating manner as long as it is done responsibly and with consideration.

The majority of people of course confer with these principals. Sadly, as with everything in life there are a minority that ruin privileges for the majority.
Ataloss
The statement does verge on the slanderous...

Can people stop using words in their legal context when they don't know what it means? I'm getting used to seeing libel and slander being used for things that are just untrue, which is not what they mean. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 67
Urm, I think TSR would be a lot better if only we didn't have so many pedants. Rules are there to keep the site in order, not to be picked apart. The admin team here are human, and I think you should respect the time and effort they put into keeping this place clean from junk and offensive material. If you don't like something,-well it's only an internet forum, does it matter that much?????

It says *so* much, that the thread appealing for unity, is a thread full of pedantic, nit-picking. :frown: Hopefully we can just smooth over this era and enjoy the summer! :party:
Reply 68
subscribing to thread.

must add I agree with beekeeper, V and Kingslaw-certainly more (gratutitous) nudity!
Reply 69
why are people still arguing over the examples used in beekeepers intial quote? why dont you focus on the real issue here?
Reply 70
NDGAARONDI
Can people stop using words in their legal context when they don't know what it means? I'm getting used to seeing libel and slander being used for things that are just untrue, which is not what they mean. Thanks. :smile:

I said that too! People are finally thinking what I'm thinking! Praise be!
Reply 71
I agree, it has got quite bad. What is the reason for this, though? The reason is us. If we can change, the forum can change.
Basically, the place is becoming too uptight?

EDIT: and yes, the recent boom of mod bashing is bloody annoying, not that I'm saying we shouldn't observe the moderators and call them into question if we think they've done something wrong. But frankly, the persistance of it - when obviously it's going nowhere - is pathetic.

As for allowing spam - can't agree with that. Nor can I agree with rep whoring, it defies the point of the whole system.
Reply 73
Fleff
Basically, the place is becoming too uptight?
but why is the question??? *pulls out massive spyglass* :biggrin:
Rainbow
but why is the question??? *pulls out massive spyglass* :biggrin:

Because anything and everything is being called into question, pored over, and then rejected (maybe not quite the right word) to try to make it a better place, thus losing the actual intended nature of the forum.

EDIT: That's purely my opinion though, so you're all free to disagree :smile:
Reply 75
Fleff
Because anything and everything is being called into question, pored over, and then rejected (maybe not quite the right word) to try to make it a better place, thus losing the actual intended nature of the forum.

EDIT: That's purely my opinion though, so you're all free to disagree :smile:

im sure there will be someone willing to :smile:
Reply 76
I think it's very hard to account for tone and context in the rules, and so when I moderate I try and keep the whole thread in mind alongside the rules.

As a side note, we do the vast proportion of moderation without using post reports - on the whole we act as soon as we see something ourselves and we all think post reporting should be encouraged.
Reply 77
Its a shame some members and mods have just gone on the defensive as usual, rather than address the core issue here.
Reply 78
Beekeeper
Its a shame some members and mods have just gone on the defensive as usual, rather than address the core issue here.

Whenever this guy posts in this thread, assume a :ditto: from me beneath it. It saves me taking up more posts. :smile:
Reply 79
blissy
I think it's very hard to account for tone and context in the rules, and so when I moderate I try and keep the whole thread in mind alongside the rules.

As a side note, we do the vast proportion of moderation without using post reports - on the whole we act as soon as we see something ourselves and we all think post reporting should be encouraged.

i dont want to sound rude or anything here but sometimes mods do go a little too far with regards to deletion of post etc

Latest

Trending

Trending