The Student Room Group

Science or Art?

bps forum
I was having my ongoing internal debate about whether psychology really belongs in the arts or the sciences this morning. (I've noticed that this debate arises most often on the days where I have particularly onerous statistical analyses to perform.)

It makes me ask questions like why, for example, does the progress of psychology depend so much on the discipline of statistics whereas statistics seems to progress very well without input from psychologists. You don't see statisticians suffering through courses on neuropsychology and brain function (though a little insight into how the brain processes mathematical constructs would surely do their discipline no harm).

It also strikes me that the public face of psychology is associated more with the arts than the sciences. For example, why is it that the media persists in portraying psychologists as analysts of the mind rather than analysts of behavioural data?

As it happens, most of the psychologists I know (a biased sample I'm sure) are not natural scientists and do not rate research design and statistical analysis as the highpoint of their jobs. Perhaps this explains the growth of qualitative methods in psychology - although in my opinion, these have more in common with scientific method (in terms of their systematic rigour) than they do with the Arts. If it is true that many psychologists are not natural adherents to scientific method, then how has psychology managed to remain in the domain of science for so long?

what do you think? do you think psychology is more based around the arts or sciences?

http://www.bps.org.uk/index.cfm?F3240258-306E-1C7F-B6EB-46934E6062D0&ForumID=1&fuseAction=displayMessage&messageID=110
Reply 1
can i fence sit slightly & say i think it depends how it's studied (maybe 'where' is more appropriate at a student level) & applied..? rather than judging it as a homogenous subject and discipline.

certainly the students at my uni studying 'experimental psychology' study it in a way i would term is as a "science" - plenty of practicals in the course, statistics, evidence based etc.

but the intro course i had as part of my degree & from what i've seen at A2/GCSE level it seemed less of a hardcore science, "social science" perhaps, but definitely verging towards the "art" side..

that said, i enjoyed it. :p:
yeah the kind i did was more of a humanity with scientific elements .. but some topics could easily be called scientific i.e. research methods, physiological, sleep so its a bit of a mix really.. saying that it's definitely not as technical as chemistry etc so in between although at my school to do a level you did'nt need to have any scientific ability.
Reply 3
it's a science, thats pretty much the end of it folks i hate too say, i know there are social areas of the discipline, but it uses the scientific method, its based on empericism and it has goals, people have to keep in mind though that it is a science in its infancy, chemistry in its early day would have looked something like where psy is at now. after developments elswhere e.g. greater processing powers from quantum computers allowing us to map all neural networks, psychology will start to look more like a science as we know it today
Reply 4
science hands down. Dont ask why am gonna study law though :/
Psychology is a science.
Reply 6
Psychology, Can be both. I first and foremost consider it a science myself as I tend to feel more for the biological and empirical areas, But I also acknowledge that it is also considered an Art in many circles. When applying for my degree I had the Choice of wether too study A Bachelor of science in Psych or a Bachelor of Art. The mere fact the latter was available shows that it ca be an art just as much as science. :smile:
saiyamana
what do you think? do you think psychology is more based around the arts or sciences?

http://www.bps.org.uk/index.cfm?F3240258-306E-1C7F-B6EB-46934E6062D0&ForumID=1&fuseAction=displayMessage&messageID=110

i always thought it was a social science, which means that it does have some scientific element such as researching, the same as politics and economics.
Reply 8
social science - the bridge between the arts and the sciences.

Subjects like psychology, sociology, government and politics etc fall into this category.

Latest

Trending

Trending