The Student Room Group

A Level Politics?

I am just wondering what Government & Politics is like in college/sixth form?

I've heard it is extremely hard and I just want to know your opinions on it?
Would I have to be amazing at English to do well in it? Because I am not exactly outstanding at English...

Help will be appreciated :smile:
xxxxxx
I take it and its *good* but SO SO TEDIOUS! i hate it tbh, its very complicating and very long and there's a hell of a lot to learn.

On the bright side, it is interesting. You learn a lot of things which would develop your logic and understanding of the things around you. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you dont want a career relating to politics.

I do the edexcel board and its a good course, plenty of info and different aspects but once again, so much content. But everyone is diff i have friends who love it.

Hope i didn't put you off it...
Reply 2
I agree with the above poster. I love it, amazing subject, really interesting but pretty hard. I studied hard for all my AS's I got mostly A's but a D in politics :s, Still not sure why, happened to a few of my friends too.

I'd reccomend it though :smile:
It's pish. If you watch the news and such then it won't take you longer then a few days to learn.

Do it (Y)
Reply 4
Hey,

Im in my second year at college. I felt the same when I began, but I didnt know a thing about Politics!

But honestly, its an amazing course and I've learnt so much. As for the English, it does help as Politics involves many essays, but you pick up all the skills that are needed during the course.

If your interested in how Government works and different Political ideologies you will love it :smile:
Reply 5
History would perhaps be of more use for future life - you touch on a lot more stuff there. I'm taking Politics at A2 now - AS was dead easy, but there's loads more content in A2 and I'm really behind in my reading... One of the History and Politics teacher says at AS level, History is much harder than Politics, but at A2 the reverse is true.
Reply 6
parfait-ego
I take it and its *good* but SO SO TEDIOUS! i hate it tbh, its very complicating and very long and there's a hell of a lot to learn.

On the bright side, it is interesting. You learn a lot of things which would develop your logic and understanding of the things around you. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you dont want a career relating to politics.

I do the edexcel board and its a good course, plenty of info and different aspects but once again, so much content. But everyone is diff i have friends who love it.

Hope i didn't put you off it...

Oh god haha hmm.
Well if it's interesting I'm thinking I'd like it.. hopefully.
thanks for your help :smile:xx
Reply 7
Kerry-Anne
Hey,

Im in my second year at college. I felt the same when I began, but I didnt know a thing about Politics!

But honestly, its an amazing course and I've learnt so much. As for the English, it does help as Politics involves many essays, but you pick up all the skills that are needed during the course.

If your interested in how Government works and different Political ideologies you will love it :smile:

Oohh thanks, I hope I enjoy it and do well in it.
Thanks for your help :-D
xxx
Reply 8
disdisdat
History would perhaps be of more use for future life - you touch on a lot more stuff there. I'm taking Politics at A2 now - AS was dead easy, but there's loads more content in A2 and I'm really behind in my reading... One of the History and Politics teacher says at AS level, History is much harder than Politics, but at A2 the reverse is true.

Well I am taking history for definate anyway.... would it be not very wise to take them both?
xxxx
Reply 9
if you learn the textbook (providing its good, and has current examples) you're sorted.
its all about keeping up with news!! Not hard imo, but a lot of essays so you have to be good at those.
I never took gov and pol at A level, but it seems pretty easy tbh, some basic ideologies (Anarchism, Marxism, Communism, Liberalism..), voting strategies and nothing more complicated than current affairs really, and a vague knowledge of British Political systems (Lords, Commons, Cabinet etc..)

Nothing uberly difficult.
Reply 11
It is wonderful.

That 3 weeks of that subject changed my whole life plan.

To think.. I could be applying for English Lit places... I shudder at the thought now.

Politics wins.
Reply 12
Ahhh now you have got me excited :-)
I'm taking History too, would you say that would be a good choice?
Reply 13
Bubbles*de*Milo
I never took gov and pol at A level, but it seems pretty easy tbh, some basic ideologies (Anarchism, Marxism, Communism, Liberalism..), voting strategies and nothing more complicated than current affairs really, and a vague knowledge of British Political systems (Lords, Commons, Cabinet etc..)

Nothing uberly difficult.

Oh I think I'm going to enjoy it :smile:
Thanks xx
Reply 14
Tay594
Well I am taking history for definate anyway.... would it be not very wise to take them both?
xxxx

Then sure. My friend does both and says the two sort of feed off each other... like there's quite a bit of overlap, and you can use your knowledge in one to do better in the other, etc.

It's a good combination.
Reply 15
Tay594
Ahhh now you have got me excited :-)
I'm taking History too, would you say that would be a good choice?

Yeah they complement each other quite well :smile:
Reply 16
disdisdat
Then sure. My friend does both and says the two sort of feed off each other... like there's quite a bit of overlap, and you can use your knowledge in one to do better in the other, etc.

It's a good combination.

Thankyou for your help. I'm excited now :smile:
Reply 17
Kerry-Anne
Yeah they complement each other quite well :smile:

Okay now I can stop worrying. Thanks for all of your help :smile: xx
It's not hard at all. Quite a lot of people got 100/100 in at least some of the modules at my school. It hardly requires any independent thought at all. You can just learn the advantages and disadvantages of every system/proposal in the syllabus. We also had to learn loads of boring statistics so you just need a good memory, really. I don't think you need to be that good at writing essays, either. Although... that might depend on the exam board. If it's Edexcel, then you'll almost entirely study the structure of the government, with very little political theory. So if you find electoral systems and pressure groups really interesting and want to learn loads of facts/want to study something easy, then it's ok to study that. Other exam boards' courses might be more interesting/challenging, though. What my brother studied was much better than what I did. So maybe you could check what's on the syllabus?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending