The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Holamigo
Omg me and you should go into loads of care homes across the country and sort them out! lol

How come you dropped out of nursing??

I'm gonna start saying stuff now!
The care home I work at is run by the council so it's actually pretty good compared to the private nursing home I used to work at -that was awful.

There is a lot of training but the older staff don't like to go on the courses! I was on a course with a 65 year old staff member who was very much still with the 'old methods' and kept saying stuff like ' in my day we would get the draw sheet on the bed and move them with that!' She had been there for over 10 years and her first time on a moving & handling course! It's awful really!!

Well I went into it straight after A Levels without much thought, and wasn't very confident and was so scared of doing something wrong and asking questions so I quit and got a job to get some experience and make sure it was really for me :smile: I also chose the wrong branch first time (learning disability), this time I'll be doing mental health because I want to work in dementia care :smile:

Where I work its actually usually the middley ones (not the really young ones but not the older ones) who are pretty dire. One of thems 67 and he talks about before hoists were introduced and how it makes him mad the younger ones don't use them.

I work in a private place so its all about the money, the owners don't give a **** about the residents, they never spend more than they have to on anything, and the managers not much better. After a resident had to be taken to a hospital by ambulance we were told afterwards that whenever someone had to go to A&E we had to make sure to comb their hair, make sure their clothes were tidy, teeth were clean, etc before they left so it set a good example for the home... if someone can't breath I'm not gonna go to their room and get a comb :rolleyes:
Reply 41
kamc
Well I went into it straight after A Levels without much thought, and wasn't very confident and was so scared of doing something wrong and asking questions so I quit and got a job to get some experience and make sure it was really for me :smile: I also chose the wrong branch first time (learning disability), this time I'll be doing mental health because I want to work in dementia care :smile:

Where I work its actually usually the middley ones (not the really young ones but not the older ones) who are pretty dire. One of thems 67 and he talks about before hoists were introduced and how it makes him mad the younger ones don't use them.

I work in a private place so its all about the money, the owners don't give a **** about the residents, they never spend more than they have to on anything, and the managers not much better. After a resident had to be taken to a hospital by ambulance we were told afterwards that whenever someone had to go to A&E we had to make sure to comb their hair, make sure their clothes were tidy, teeth were clean, etc before they left so it set a good example for the home... if someone can't breath I'm not gonna go to their room and get a comb :rolleyes:

hahaha! I can't believe that! They should make sure all of those things are done properly everyday anyway.

ah I understand you dropping out - There's noway on this earth I could of gone into nursing at 18. I just wasn't confident enough and had no experience!!
I think it's good to know what your letting yourself in for and be prepared!

Dementia care REALLY interests me!! We have quite a few residents with it. There's one who I love - she always hugs teddies and holds your hand - Its very sad though she's at quite a bad stage, you can't really have a conversation with her but she LOVES singing and remembers the words of some old songs! Its so interesting - I just wonder what goes on in their head, probably a lot of confusion! As a lot have a confused looks on their face!
Reply 42
Holamigo
hahaha! I can't believe that! They should make sure all of those things are done properly everyday anyway.

ah I understand you dropping out - There's noway on this earth I could of gone into nursing at 18. I just wasn't confident enough and had no experience!!
I think it's good to know what your letting yourself in for and be prepared!

Dementia care REALLY interests me!! We have quite a few residents with it. There's one who I love - she always hugs teddies and holds your hand - Its very sad though she's at quite a bad stage, you can't really have a conversation with her but she LOVES singing and remembers the words of some old songs! Its so interesting - I just wonder what goes on in their head, probably a lot of confusion! As a lot have a confused looks on their face!

Yeah I'm glad I quit, I love working with the residents with dementia. At last years summer faite we had a group of dancers with pom poms and one of the ladies started dancing with them, they gave her some pom poms and she looked so happy, everyone gave her a huge round of applause afterwards :biggrin:

once a lady with dementia was wondering around looking a bit sad so I said "hiya *name* are you alright, you look a bit lost dear" and she looked at me and said "I don't know whether I'm alive or dead, its an awful feeling" and just walked away I was so shocked :eek:
Reply 43
It saddens me so much that the two of you saw much the same as I did, I don't think I ever once saw a slide-sheet used, cos "it's much quicker to just grab them by the elbows" :eek:
The stupid thing was, our training was actually really good and it was constantly on going so no-one had any excuse! :frown:
Ive not worked in care homes, but do have experience in acute care, and was once asissting a HCA to move a patient who had slid down the bed, patient had grade 3 sacral pressure sore, overweight, doubly incontinent and being NG tube fed, and the stupid woman wanted to slide her considerably up the bed just using the bottom sheet. I refused to take part and another HCA did it and they went so far the woman's head hit the end of the bed, causing her to bleed, and the HCA later filed a complaint against me to management- and she ended up getting suspended herself on bad practice!
Reply 45
Kelcatuk
It saddens me so much that the two of you saw much the same as I did, I don't think I ever once saw a slide-sheet used, cos "it's much quicker to just grab them by the elbows" :eek:
The stupid thing was, our training was actually really good and it was constantly on going so no-one had any excuse! :frown:

I know! i've never seen one of those been used either!

Today - I actually used the standing aid thing!!!! wooohoo:yes: even though the carer who I was with attempted lifting first and I didn't help so she said lets get the standing aid! Then afterwards kept complaining that her back was hurting!!
Reply 46
Subcutaneous
Ive not worked in care homes, but do have experience in acute care, and was once asissting a HCA to move a patient who had slid down the bed, patient had grade 3 sacral pressure sore, overweight, doubly incontinent and being NG tube fed, and the stupid woman wanted to slide her considerably up the bed just using the bottom sheet. I refused to take part and another HCA did it and they went so far the woman's head hit the end of the bed, causing her to bleed, and the HCA later filed a complaint against me to management- and she ended up getting suspended herself on bad practice!

OMG. That is absolutely awful! Poor woman!:frown:

Why did she file a complaint about you!? oo i'd be so angry! glad she got suspended!!!
Holamigo
OMG. That is absolutely awful! Poor woman!:frown:

Why did she file a complaint about you!? oo i'd be so angry! glad she got suspended!!!

I wasn't being a team member and refusing to asisst other staff- yeah in hurting patients!
Reply 48
Subcutaneous
I wasn't being a team member and refusing to asisst other staff- yeah in hurting patients!

Well done you for standing your ground though! I know I sometimes found it really hard to stand up to people who'd been working there years and say "If you want my help you have to do it right" it's great that the management were on your side and sorted her out.
Kelcatuk
Well done you for standing your ground though! I know I sometimes found it really hard to stand up to people who'd been working there years and say "If you want my help you have to do it right" it's great that the management were on your side and sorted her out.

well i knew what she was doing was illegal and negligence, i didn't want my name down in taking part in that- ive found its gotten easier with time to say 'no' to bad MH by staff
grape:)
to me that sounded like two old nurses chatting? XD You'll probably be a great nurse. I'd rather be treated by a young nurse, she's been trained more recently :dontknow:

i 'd personally rather be treated by a nurse who has been educated and has continued his /her education on a regular basis ...
Reply 51
zippyRN
i 'd personally rather be treated by a nurse who has been educated and has continued his /her education on a regular basis ...

Okay :nothing:
grape:)
Okay :nothing:

ignore him..
Reply 53
Subcutaneous
well i knew what she was doing was illegal and negligence, i didn't want my name down in taking part in that- ive found its gotten easier with time to say 'no' to bad MH by staff

Yeah, experience and time definitely helps, you gain a bit more confidence in your own abilities and judgement. When I first started at the care home I accepted way too quickly that what happened was "just how it's done" but after I fund one or two incidents playing on my mind I decided I just couldn't let things lie, after that I found it far easier to call staff up on things.
Reply 54
Subcutaneous
ignore him..

Cheers, it was the course of action I finally chose :smile:
At the end of the day, everyone had to start somewhere :smile: Some of the older, "better" nurses would also have began their training at a young age, at which time they were probably told that older nurses were better..

On that note, I think we just need the time to progress. Older nurses have more experience, probably better communication skills and more life experiences, but you have to live to gain all that and so by the time we are "older! we will have it all too...

Latest