The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Anatheme
Nope, I mean he, :colondollar: (he never revealed his height so we had him followed by a girl a bit taller than him, and she was 5"5, haha). He does triathlon as well, though, and he is massive. But small.

Nyaaawh :teeth:
Reply 301
Jessaay!
I'm 5'6. I'm taller than 3 of the girls on my team (one is no bigger than about 5'3, she used to be a cox) so I don't know why people view me as being so short :p:

I'm 5"7 and amongst the smallest of the club :emo:

Jessaay!
Nyaaawh :teeth:

Ginger as well. I feel sorry for him :rofl:
Anatheme
I'm 5"7 and amongst the smallest of the club :emo:

Ginger as well. I feel sorry for him :rofl:

Poor lad :p: Well I suppose amongst the other traits at least he's strong :p:
Reply 303
Jessaay!
I'm 5'6. I'm taller than 3 of the girls on my team (one is no bigger than about 5'3, she used to be a cox) so I don't know why people view me as being so short :p:

5'6 isn't small at all!!

The women in the squad at Tyne are probably on average around 5'6, though a few are shorter.

I'm easily the shortest guy in the men's squad though. Gutted!
dobbs
5'6 isn't small at all!!

The women in the squad at Tyne are probably on average around 5'6, though a few are shorter.

I'm easily the shortest guy in the men's squad though. Gutted!

Someone actually said my height is kind of deceptive so I think it might be people's imaginations. That and one of my closest friends also in my team is like 6'1 so I'm a bit dwarfed when I'm in any close proximity to her.

Also bad times :frown: Though to be fair I know some really tall guys who have very poor technique so I guess it's not everything.
Reply 305
Jessaay!
Someone actually said my height is kind of deceptive so I think it might be people's imaginations. That and one of my closest friends also in my team is like 6'1 so I'm a bit dwarfed when I'm in any close proximity to her.

Also bad times :frown: Though to be fair I know some really tall guys who have very poor technique so I guess it's not everything.

Yeah I get that, whenever we have team/squad photos I always insist on standing next to the cox or something, NOT next to the huge guys! Though have to be careful sometimes as people have mistaken ME for the cox before. Gutted. Though I have done plenty of coxing before so it's quite understandable.

And yeah. There's a tall guy in our squad, he gets fantastic erg scores but his technique is dreadful. We were out in singles this morning doing 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off for, errr (need to work this out - 12 x 2min pieces) so 48 minutes in total, and I set off ahead of him and just sat in front of him for most of the way, until we got a dreadful headwind which just blows us lightweights all over the place and he swanned on by.

THEN HE CAPSIZED HAHA :biggrin:
I'm hoping to row at uni next year, I'm 18 in August, and pretty much 6'1/82kg. World Class Start though, with their whole 'have to be 6'2' thing is annoying me a bit, especially seen as my family trend is to grow 2+ inches from 18 - 21. :frown:
revisionnightmare
I'm hoping to row at uni next year, I'm 18 in August, and pretty much 6'1/82kg. World Class Start though, with their whole 'have to be 6'2' thing is annoying me a bit, especially seen as my family trend is to grow 2+ inches from 18 - 21. :frown:

Who says you have to be 6'2? :eek: The tallest person I know in my boat club out of the girls is 6'1, and she's tallest by a mile. The others are probably averaging a couple of inches taller than me (I'm 5'6) and probably the other tall ones are about 5'10 at most. I thought that would be pretty rare for a girl.

Ooooooh I hope I grow 2 inches before I'm 21, though that's probably a little optimistic.
Reply 308
Jessaay!
Who says you have to be 6'2? :eek: The tallest person I know in my boat club out of the girls is 6'1, and she's tallest by a mile. The others are probably averaging a couple of inches taller than me (I'm 5'6) and probably the other tall ones are about 5'10 at most. I thought that would be pretty rare for a girl.

Ooooooh I hope I grow 2 inches before I'm 21, though that's probably a little optimistic.

It's 6"2 for guys and 5"10 for girls, we have 3/4 people doing the World Class programme (one of them just cannot skip with a rope, it's hilarious although completely unrelated), and Adi, their coach is absolutely awesome :love:. I might have a bit of a crush on her, actually. Just a bit.
dobbs
Yeah I get that, whenever we have team/squad photos I always insist on standing next to the cox or something, NOT next to the huge guys! Though have to be careful sometimes as people have mistaken ME for the cox before. Gutted. Though I have done plenty of coxing before so it's quite understandable.

And yeah. There's a tall guy in our squad, he gets fantastic erg scores but his technique is dreadful. We were out in singles this morning doing 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off for, errr (need to work this out - 12 x 2min pieces) so 48 minutes in total, and I set off ahead of him and just sat in front of him for most of the way, until we got a dreadful headwind which just blows us lightweights all over the place and he swanned on by.

THEN HE CAPSIZED HAHA :biggrin:

I'd like to do some coxing next year hopefully alongside rowing if I make the team. Though I imagine that'd be even worse for people jabbing at me about being short.

And HA, need I say owned? There's a guy who is in my year right now and started rowing in october as a novice, then because of his erg scores (he's massively tall and a big bloke) he was moved up to the men's 1sts a couple of months ago, beats all their erg scores, never fails to remind them of it (on our social tour, a legendary moment which will no doubt go down in history during our fresher initiations was when he started crying and saying "why are you doing this to me? I'm physically superior to you all") but he holds the team back because his technique is terrible. When I was watching HoRR, he was out of time the entire time. They used to win all sorts of things but since he joined they've gone down hill a bit. It's a shame really.
Anatheme
It's 6"2 for guys and 5"10 for girls, we have 3/4 people doing the World Class programme (one of them just cannot skip with a rope, it's hilarious although completely unrelated), and Adi, their coach is absolutely awesome :love:. I might have a bit of a crush on her, actually. Just a bit.

Ooooh I see, never heard of that. What actually is it? I was going to say 6'2 for a girl was fairly optimistic :p:
Reply 311
Jessaay!
Ooooh I see, never heard of that. What actually is it? I was going to say 6'2 for a girl was fairly optimistic :p:

Do you not talk about rowing so much you get adverts for anything rowing-related on FB? It was one of them at one point, haha, now they're trying to convince me to get some rowing applications for an iPhone I don't have… Anyway, details on the ARA website: http://www.britishrowing.org/gb/start-programme
Reply 312
Am I the only to find it funny that you can join the British Rowing Association when you're not actually British? Or am I just really childish… :erm:
Anatheme
Do you not talk about rowing so much you get adverts for anything rowing-related on FB? It was one of them at one point, haha, now they're trying to convince me to get some rowing applications for an iPhone I don't have… Anyway, details on the ARA website: http://www.britishrowing.org/gb/start-programme

I do, I'm just unobservant. I did get notice the rowing thing for the iphone though, I have an ipod touch so I looked at it and it looked fairly useless (just recording erg scores and monitoring how close you are to your target... what's wrong with a simple pen and paper these days :no: ) and it cost money :eek:
Reply 314
Jessaay!
I do, I'm just unobservant. I did get notice the rowing thing for the iphone though, I have an ipod touch so I looked at it and it looked fairly useless (just recording erg scores and monitoring how close you are to your target... what's wrong with a simple pen and paper these days :no: ) and it cost money :eek:

Have you tried the fish game on Concept 2 ergs? It's crap but it makes me laugh :colondollar:
Anatheme
Have you tried the fish game on Concept 2 ergs? It's crap but it makes me laugh :colondollar:

I didn't realise they had one until my friend told me about a week ago, I'm going to have a go when I get back to uni and get to a gym. It'll make an amusing change from me watching the time and metres go up which can sometimes be a bit demotivating. :p:

Isn't there a darts one as well? :teeth:
Reply 316
Anatheme

I don't understand that fish game? You seem to go up if you row and then drop really slowly if you don't? Leads to a really awkward rowing style. Or does it drop if you row slowly and go up if you row faster? That would be better.
Reply 317
Jessaay!
I didn't realise they had one until my friend told me about a week ago, I'm going to have a go when I get back to uni and get to a gym. It'll make an amusing change from me watching the time and metres go up which can sometimes be a bit demotivating. :p:

Isn't there a darts one as well? :teeth:

Daaaarts?! Ooooh, didn't find that one :teeth:

Mithra
I don't understand that fish game? You seem to go up if you row and then drop really slowly if you don't? Leads to a really awkward rowing style. Or does it drop if you row slowly and go up if you row faster? That would be better.

The more you put pressure down the more it goes up. But it's definitely not a good work out, lmao, it gets you rowing really irregularly
Anatheme
Daaaarts?! Ooooh, didn't find that one :teeth:

The more you put pressure down the more it goes up. But it's definitely not a good work out, lmao, it gets you rowing really irregularly

I may be making it up, I swear my friend said darts or something similar :teeth:

Well the irregularity of the rowing technique it makes me have will probably still be far better than some of the people I see in the gym on the ergs. Unless they're actually rowers (who always wear lycra so you can tell :p: ) they do all sorts of weird stuff. I once got so distracted by the hilarity of the guy next to me that I stopped and watched the guy for about 5 minutes, he didn't understand the concept of arms away and so every time he was doing the recovery he had to sort of make the handles jump over his knees. I've seen other people do the same but he was flailing all over the place. Kind of reminded me of this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgs8qQkE_FE
Reply 319
Jessaay!
I may be making it up, I swear my friend said darts or something similar :teeth:

Well the irregularity of the rowing technique it makes me have will probably still be far better than some of the people I see in the gym on the ergs. Unless they're actually rowers (who always wear lycra so you can tell :p: ) they do all sorts of weird stuff. I once got so distracted by the hilarity of the guy next to me that I stopped and watched the guy for about 5 minutes, he didn't understand the concept of arms away and so every time he was doing the recovery he had to sort of make the handles jump over his knees. I've seen other people do the same but he was flailing all over the place. Kind of reminded me of this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgs8qQkE_FE

I LOVE IT when non-rowers get on ergs. My friend was doing 5x750 rate 32 and with like a 2:00 split and a girl saw her stats, looked a bit like "meh, piss easy" and then went on an erg, went up to rate 32 with an awful split and no power down and looked really happy with herself, haha. There's also a really fat guy (bless him) who goes on ergs for like 10min and his split is around like 3:50 and he ends up sweating is ass out, poor thing

Quick Reply

Latest