The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Marink
Hmm, well it should be fine, they wouldn't have become the captains if they didn't think they could do the job, how does your committee get chosen? Club vote or coaches decision?

Club vote, but it happens tomorrow. Also, there's gonna be a vote of no-confidence for the captain position as she's the only one who gave her manifesto for that. And she can do the job for sure, now it doesn't meant she can do it well, and I know I'm not the only one thinking that, but there's probably not enough of us to stop that anyway. Oh well, what do I care, I'm not here next year :h:
Reply 381
Watched the Northumbrian Universities Boat Race today between Newcastle and Durham.

Was pretty enjoyable, especially the senior races.

I swear down I'm going to end up being an eternal novice because when it gets to exam season, I completely sack of rowing and end up missing things like seat racing and the like...never mind haha
Reply 382
It was on the 8th as well, wasn't it?
I missed the Two Cities Boat Race between Manchester University and Salford University, but apparently Salford only won one race, so it's all good :proud:
(I was too busy laughing at Oxford colleges' novices crews getting ready for Summer Eights. There are some well nice caterpillar-ish boats over there. There are also some just plain nice boats, though, to give them some credits)
Reply 383
It was just the 9th.

There were some 2k tests on the 8th though, for non-racers.
Tabris
It was just the 9th.

There were some 2k tests on the 8th though, for non-racers.

And how did it go? :biggrin:
Reply 385
partoftheweekend
And how did it go? :biggrin:

Oh, I didn't take part unfortunately.

I've been living in the library recently and spectating the boat race has been my only taste of rowing since the end of March.

Last time I took at 2k test, I got 7:09, which was by myself only, I reckon I could possibly push it sub-7 with a bit of competition and encouragement...maybe.

Edit: Just got an email welcoming the novices to the senior squad...doesn't really feel right that I get this because I've missed out on so much over the past couple of weeks due to illness and exams. I've got a lot to catch up on if I want to continue with rowing...
Reply 386
Tabris
I swear down I'm going to end up being an eternal novice because when it gets to exam season, I completely sack of rowing and end up missing things like seat racing and the like...never mind haha

Last time I took at 2k test, I got 7:09, which was by myself only, I reckon I could possibly push it sub-7 with a bit of competition and encouragement...maybe.

That's a pretty decent score, I'm knocking on the door of 7 minutes myself, so gutted I didn't manage it on training camp, but next time I'll definitely get it, Only 3.6 seconds to take off and I'm there.

And haha, it's all time management, I've managed to get all my projects in, but just before deadlines, mainly because of rowing tbh. BUCS the weekend before two deadlines does not help complete them at all.
Reply 387
Anyone taller and heaver than I should be ashamed if you're not getting sub 7 minutes for a 2k! :p:

I'm 5'7 and 68kg, and my 2k pb is 6:50. Aiming for 6:40 on my next test though.
Reply 388
Marink
That's a pretty decent score, I'm knocking on the door of 7 minutes myself, so gutted I didn't manage it on training camp, but next time I'll definitely get it, Only 3.6 seconds to take off and I'm there.

And haha, it's all time management, I've managed to get all my projects in, but just before deadlines, mainly because of rowing tbh. BUCS the weekend before two deadlines does not help complete them at all.

Yeah, I'm not brilliant with my time management. I wish that I'd kept it up more in my Fresher Year last year, instead of dropping out for the same reasons...I'd rather not be the eternal novice though, and I've missed out on the big races, so I might have to see if I can find a boat club that will take me on and let me take part in a Regatta some time over the summer. Whether it ends up being around home, or in the North East, I wouldn't mind being IM3 at least.

I'm trying to go for around 70-80% in my exams at the moment, and it really doesn't seem to work with rowing, as much as I'd like it to keep it going, it's one or the other at this time of year :frown:

dobbs
Anyone taller and heaver than I should be ashamed if you're not getting sub 7 minutes for a 2k! :p:

I'm 5'7 and 68kg, and my 2k pb is 6:50. Aiming for 6:40 on my next test though.

Lightweights like you always make my dick limp from emasculation (no bromo)

If I decide to keep on doing the rowing, I'd like to be around 6:45 by the end of the year, I'd be really happy with that. Any lower would be a huge bonus. I could do with losing a good 4kg too, I'm pretty lean, but not lean enough.
Reply 389
I'm sure I'm doing something horrendously wrong on the ergo's :beard:. I mean I'm not THAT unfit but my 2k times and generally my others are utterly atrocious (about 7:50 for 2ks...).
Reply 390
Not pushing yourself hard enough maybe?
Reply 391
Well thats one thing which makes me think my technique could be a bit dodgy. My legs can get really tired out but then the rest of me feels generally fine for a lot longer :beard: (meaning I can end up keeping the rate a good speed but being unable to actually push hard at all). It could just be that I have weak legs but I wouldn't have thought they were THAT weak. I wish we had coaches who paid a bit more attention to individual technique, hopefully might get some of that in the summer.
Reply 392
Sounds like you have the same problem as me.

I can happily squat 100kg or so, but put me on an erg and I'll tire out quicker than a lot of other rowers who don't have as much power simply because my slow twitch muscle fibres suck some major ass. Only real solution I can think of is to keep on erging through the pain until your slow twitch fibres get better at dealing with 2K sprints...
60-90 minutes UT2, 3-4 times a week will sort you out.
Reply 394
Long UT2 sessions are the bane of my life.
Reply 395
Hmm I don't agree the long UT2 sessions are that helpful for the 2ks- we did long ergos through the winter, and still crack out a 60mins on Monday evenings now, but I find that doing sessions like 6 x 1500m, 8 x 500m or the dreaded 10 x 1minute at rate 32+ (with 1 min rest in between each) is putting me in good stead to beat my pb :smile:

The long sessions helped HUGELY my 5k time though, which I don't think I'll ever actually hit again :frown:
dobbs
Hmm I don't agree the long UT2 sessions are that helpful for the 2ks- we did long ergos through the winter, and still crack out a 60mins on Monday evenings now, but I find that doing sessions like 6 x 1500m, 8 x 500m or the dreaded 10 x 1minute at rate 32+ (with 1 min rest in between each) is putting me in good stead to beat my pb :smile:

The long sessions helped HUGELY my 5k time though, which I don't think I'll ever actually hit again :frown:

If they're cranking out +7:00 2k's I think the underlying aerobic fitness is probably the problem. No point tuning up a ford fiesta init.
Reply 397
Our coach cancelled an outing today and replaced it with an ergo tomorrow. I'm not sure that should be legal.
Mithra
Our coach cancelled an outing today and replaced it with an ergo tomorrow. I'm not sure that should be legal.

Yeah replaces something that you enjoy doing with something that you would pay not to do. I got 500mX10 1 min rests tomorrow after an exam. Dont know what will be worse.
Reply 399
partoftheweekend
If they're cranking out +7:00 2k's I think the underlying aerobic fitness is probably the problem. No point tuning up a ford fiesta init.

I dunno, I struggle to 'keep up' much more on the 500m pieces than on the longer distance ergos :beard:. Though I guess they are less about completely emptying yourself so its harder to judge.

Quick Reply

Latest