The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Anatheme
Who has a leopard-printed lycra at UL? There was a guy wearing one during training camp and he was fit. :holmes:

I know who it is lol. Leopard print lycra is for Juniper club, which is the Kings College London Alumni club.

Considering whether to go to Henley today or not. Had a really messy one on wednesday and im still feeling the after effects. The mahiki bar is really good fun though!
Reply 581
I really need to contact the local rowing club or summer is gonna be over :nothing:. I'm going away for a week in two weeks, should I phone now or wait till after? :afraid:

I am sick of going to the gym next to people who row silly.
Reply 582
Mithra
I really need to contact the local rowing club or summer is gonna be over :nothing:. I'm going away for a week in two weeks, should I phone now or wait till after? :afraid:

Call now.

Get down tomorrow morning.

It's the summer so likely many people are doing more informal training. Oh though it's Nat Champs this weekend so not sure if your local club will be busy there.
Reply 583
dobbs
Call now.

Get down tomorrow morning.

It's the summer so likely many people are doing more informal training. Oh though it's Nat Champs this weekend so not sure if your local club will be busy there.

Informal training, that I had not considered :beard:.

It's coastal rowing so they won't be involved in that :p:
Reply 584
Build a scull and go row by yourself? :awesome:
Reply 585
Mithra

I tried that.

My closest club is around 50 minutes away by train or car.

Unfortunately because of the informal training and my inability to scull, I'm kinda buggered at the moment.
Reply 586
Urgh, losing motivation :moon:.

No way I'll get into the first team next year, I'd be lucky to get into second and last year even the second 8 never rowed :sad:.
Mithra
Urgh, losing motivation :moon:.

No way I'll get into the first team next year, I'd be lucky to get into second and last year even the second 8 never rowed :sad:.

I'm in a similar situation. :frown: If all else fails and I don't make the seconds, or the seconds chosen are a lazy team, I'll just scull and train to be a cox.
I think also I'm a tad too short to ever be in the firsts. Damn genetics.
Reply 588
Probably just end up sailing instead, I'm actually half decent at that :ninja:.
U23 World Rowing Championships kick start today.. Stay up to date, Come on the 8! - http://www.worldrowing.com/index.php?pageid=116
Reply 590
Jessaay!
I'm in a similar situation. :frown: If all else fails and I don't make the seconds, or the seconds chosen are a lazy team, I'll just scull and train to be a cox.
I think also I'm a tad too short to ever be in the firsts. Damn genetics.

NO no no no no NO!!!!

Sorry, I'm 5'7 and fine I haven't been in the first crew at my club but I was on the margin - it was between me and the coach's son (guess who got the seat :rolleyes: - even though the rest of the crew couldn't understand why since my ergs are significantly better than his and we weren't seat raced)

Anyway, not to put down women's rowing or anything but it is SO much easier for short girls to get ahead in rowing than short guys. Why? Because as long as you have some strength you'll do really well, larger women don't always have a lot more strength, whereas being larger for men means a significanly larger amount of strength, usually.

For all of you saying you can't get to a club or whatever and that you want to get into crews next year - get yourselves to your local gym and get on the ergs. Draw up a training plan, make sure you're doing the work (30mins / 40min ergs, a few shorter pieces at high rate, etc).

If it's difficult, for the 30/40mins get some tape and cover up your split time, it goes by a lot quicker when you're not worrying about what split you're pulling, and generally you'll still pull a good distance, unless you completely slack off. More important to get the time on the ergo in, than get half way pushing too hard then give up.

Doing ergs over the summer (and weights, and cross-training cardio - running, cycling, etc.) will put you in a very good position at the start of the season in September :smile:
Reply 591
Finally actually did some weight training rather than just ergos today, was nice to do something different :p:. As long as I can get my 2k time down to something not embarassing I'll try out :awesome:.
dobbs
NO no no no no NO!!!!

Sorry, I'm 5'7 and fine I haven't been in the first crew at my club but I was on the margin - it was between me and the coach's son (guess who got the seat :rolleyes: - even though the rest of the crew couldn't understand why since my ergs are significantly better than his and we weren't seat raced)

Anyway, not to put down women's rowing or anything but it is SO much easier for short girls to get ahead in rowing than short guys. Why? Because as long as you have some strength you'll do really well, larger women don't always have a lot more strength, whereas being larger for men means a significanly larger amount of strength, usually.

For all of you saying you can't get to a club or whatever and that you want to get into crews next year - get yourselves to your local gym and get on the ergs. Draw up a training plan, make sure you're doing the work (30mins / 40min ergs, a few shorter pieces at high rate, etc).

If it's difficult, for the 30/40mins get some tape and cover up your split time, it goes by a lot quicker when you're not worrying about what split you're pulling, and generally you'll still pull a good distance, unless you completely slack off. More important to get the time on the ergo in, than get half way pushing too hard then give up.

Doing ergs over the summer (and weights, and cross-training cardio - running, cycling, etc.) will put you in a very good position at the start of the season in September :smile:

I know it's certainly possible, but the casual training of the boat club I'm at, due to not really having much time to do major training, basically means there is a definite height gradient between 1sts, seconds and subs :p:

I really don't want to be in the firsts next year, maybe in another year, but not right now. Their training is a lot more intense than the rest of the boat club and I simply don't want to have to commit to all that, plus I don't think it'd be good for me at the moment. I'm still recovering from a hip injury I got from a race :p: It doesn't really affect me, and I can still row, but I get pain when I overdo it so when that's all healed and dusted it'll be fine.
Reply 593
Jessaay!
I know it's certainly possible, but the casual training of the boat club I'm at, due to not really having much time to do major training, basically means there is a definite height gradient between 1sts, seconds and subs :p:

I really don't want to be in the firsts next year, maybe in another year, but not right now. Their training is a lot more intense than the rest of the boat club and I simply don't want to have to commit to all that, plus I don't think it'd be good for me at the moment. I'm still recovering from a hip injury I got from a race :p: It doesn't really affect me, and I can still row, but I get pain when I overdo it so when that's all healed and dusted it'll be fine.

I have fudged up my fasciae latae in like March and it's not getting any better :frown:
Reply 594
I really need to find somewhere to row.

I've been trying to get in contact with the boat club at York, but nay luck.
Reply 595
I have found the office of the rowing association in Syria. I'm so gonna try to have a go at rowing there :rofl:.
I went out in a single scull the other day. Not having a cox is really incovenient, I crashed into a dock, another boat and was followed by a load of ducklings who clearly thought I was mummy duck.
Reply 597
I went sculling for the first time recently.

I was thrown straight into the bow seat, it was a baptism of fire. Enjoyed it though. I'd really like to go out in a single or double.
Tabris
I went sculling for the first time recently.

I was thrown straight into the bow seat, it was a baptism of fire. Enjoyed it though. I'd really like to go out in a single or double.

I loved it! I did feel marginally safer the last time I rowed in a double, though, and missed the safety net of having someone else to help balance the boat :p:
Did my first post henley session today after a 4 week layoff. 18k erg, I am in pain...

Quick Reply

Latest