The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Jessaay!
Unfortunately not :frown: the UoL team (if that's what they are referring to) are the elite rowers of all the london universities. So literally the best of kings, ucl, ucl medical school, st georges etc... I'm a novice so not quite so elite. I've also injured my hip during the last race so I'm training but out of races until the bumps. Rowing on a french river sounds like heaven though :frown:

Do they not take any novices? Awww, they basically say that no-one can row before training camp (which I believe is true), I cannot wait to get there, that's such a shame!
Anatheme
Do they not take any novices? Awww, they basically say that no-one can row before training camp (which I believe is true), I cannot wait to get there, that's such a shame!

They take novices. But you have to be willing to commit around 20 hours a week to training.
Reply 162
partoftheweekend
They take novices. But you have to be willing to commit around 20 hours a week to training.

Sounds familiar.
Reply 163
I want to go to preseason but it means I'll have to pay for an extra week in college :moon:.
Reply 164
We're planning on having a very late notice easter weekend training camp here in the UK, apparently maybe down in Nottingham, urgh....that lake is NEVER flat!!

But still, 4 solid days of rowing? Can't wait!
Reply 165
WeHorr confused me, but it was all good :h:

I discovered yesterday that we didn't have 3 crews entered but 4, and that this fourth one was mine. We started 284, and got overtaken by, erm, around 4/5 boats, but finished 280. I don't know how that works but never mind, it was still quite enjoyable. I felt sorry for LSE, that also got overtaken by us as well as the other 4/5 boats and ended up 284 after starting 283. 7Ks is soul-destroying, though, can't wait for Regatta season!
Reply 166
Anatheme
WeHorr confused me, but it was all good :h:

I discovered yesterday that we didn't have 3 crews entered but 4, and that this fourth one was mine. We started 284, and got overtaken by, erm, around 4/5 boats, but finished 280. I don't know how that works but never mind, it was still quite enjoyable. I felt sorry for LSE, that also got overtaken by us as well as the other 4/5 boats and ended up 284 after starting 283. 7Ks is soul-destroying, though, can't wait for Regatta season!

Nice one :h:. When are results announced? Our women are still on the way back from it which meant we had no cox this morning, coach had to do it :sad:.

I am dead after today's session, we were doing regatta style distances for training, its so different to heads. (Also, stroking for it is bloody hard when you start to get tired out :/).
Reply 167
Mithra
Nice one :h:. When are results announced? Our women are still on the way back from it which meant we had no cox this morning, coach had to do it :sad:.

I am dead after today's session, we were doing regatta style distances for training, its so different to heads. (Also, stroking for it is bloody hard when you start to get tired out :/).

The provisionals are online already. I'm definitely a short distance rower.

Also, I need advice, my arms are really weak and I really badly need to strengthen them. I can't do more than like 2 push ups and yesterday my non-feathering hand went reaaally stiff and painful and I could barely do anything with it. Are Powerballs good for improving the strength?

My legs, on the other hands, never hurt. Whether I'm on an erg or in a boat (racing or not), they're fine, am I not pushing hard enough?
Reply 168
Anatheme

Also, I need advice, my arms are really weak and I really badly need to strengthen them. I can't do more than like 2 push ups and yesterday my non-feathering hand went reaaally stiff and painful and I could barely do anything with it. Are Powerballs good for improving the strength?

My legs, on the other hands, never hurt. Whether I'm on an erg or in a boat (racing or not), they're fine, am I not pushing hard enough?

Awesome, I'll go check those now.

I have a similar problem, my first thing to go by far is my feathering arm, I stop being able to feather properly/at the right time which messes up my whole stroke and means I almost catch crabs, if you find any good ideas tell me :p:.
Anatheme

Arm strength isn't usually a problem. The hard thing is getting your arms used to doing their separate jobs; the inside one feathering and the outside one levering the blade and tapping down. (try outside arm rowing) Once you do this they shouldn't get tired out from rowing. Could also be gripping too tightly that hurts them. Push ups involve the opposite muscles to those you'll be using in a stroke so being bad at them wont affect anything either.
If you do want to strengthen your forearms however, this is good exercise http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/DBWristCurl.html after a few reps it feels similar to a powerball, although powerballs are more fun.

I used to have the same thing with my legs too. It took me basically a whole season to get proper leg tiredness akin to the erg in a race. Before that my arms and shoulders where the first muscles to go. I think it was down to me using my back and arms too early in the drive.

On a worse topic, I found out today I have a 2k test next week :frown:
Reply 170
Anatheme
We started 284, and got overtaken by, erm, around 4/5 boats, but finished 280. I don't know how that works

Ha.

Your starting position was 284, but your final position is taken by the amount of time that it took you to do the course.

Whilst the few crews around you overtook you, there will have been other crews who started well ahead of you who took longer to cover the course. You can't base your final position on how many crews you overtake or who overtake you.

A crew could, in theory, be crew number 1, yet finish with the slowest time. This is unlikely as the better crews go off first anyway, but more likely is a crew that starts at 100 and finishes 200th, or a crew that starts 250th and finishes 100th.

If that makes any sense? :smile:

Well done anyway!
Anyone rowing in Kingston this weekend?

Also our kit FINALLY arrived (has been literally months). It's hot ****.
Reply 172
North of England Head for us :holmes:

I've ordered some more kit, God knows when that'll end (if it does… ). I have three t-shirts, a hoodie, a splashjacket, an all-in-one, all I need is a bag and trackies. Maybe leggings, if I can afford them. And a visor.
Anatheme
I'm still in the 2nd novice women VIII for WeHorr, turns out we don't have a 3rd VIII anymore and 3 girls from the 1st VIII will be in the 2nd senior women VIII. Tomorrow, weighting and then meeting for lightweight categories. Don't think I put on weight since January, and I was already below the limit, which means I won't have any weight to lose, unlike most other girls wanting to be lightweights. :h:

I'll try to post videos of our 1st and 2nd VIIIs when I work out how my camera works :colonhash:, but for the moment, some boats racing at Trafford:

1st novice women VIII

2nd novice women VIII (my usual boat)

Novice men boats, no idea which one is which one:

And the boat with the best name ever:

Old post, but there was a boat named the Gerry Atric at my old rowing club, was that, per chance, a Hollingworth Lake rowing club boat? I used to scull at HLRC and when I turned 18 (they didn't usually allow <18s to row because of the developing muscles in one arm issue) I rowed for a couple of months before I had to stop because of A-level exams, I'm going to return there when I get back from Landan to lancashaaaaaaaaaaaaare for the holidays for some good old practice for next year.
Reply 174
Jessaay!
Old post, but there was a boat named the Gerry Atric at my old rowing club, was that, per chance, a Hollingworth Lake rowing club boat? I used to scull at HLRC and when I turned 18 (they didn't usually allow <18s to row because of the developing muscles in one arm issue) I rowed for a couple of months before I had to stop because of A-level exams, I'm going to return there when I get back from Landan to lancashaaaaaaaaaaaaare for the holidays for some good old practice for next year.

Their website says the boat was at Trafford so I'm guessing that's the one :yep:
Anatheme
Their website says the boat was at Trafford so I'm guessing that's the one :yep:

Awesome! As soon as I saw "best name for a boat ever" I instantly thought of the Gerry Atric et voila, the picture was there. Good times. Oddly though, there's something satisfying about rowing in the thames which I'll miss when I get back to clearer lake waters.
Reply 176
Anatheme
North of England Head for us :holmes:

See you there :p:
Reply 177
dobbs
See you there :p:

I will not be racing (:sad: ), I'm just hoping they'll have one more sit in the minibus for me, though!
Reply 178
Anatheme
I will not be racing (:sad: ), I'm just hoping they'll have one more sit in the minibus for me, though!

Aw, I think last year we boated from the same area as Manchester Uni (in a big car park on Sandy Lane), we're boating from there again. Gets incredibly busy in such a small area!!
lycra unisuit = sexiest garment of clothing. fact.

Quick Reply

Latest