The Student Room Group

IB MATH HL tips?

okay, so im into the second term of math hl with a 3 average, which im pretty confident i can boost up to a 5 because my teacher is stupid and i've been working a lot with my dad at home on my math. I need some advice. Does anyone have any good studying tips for math hl? i already purchased the IB data bank which is AMAZING, but then again, i also need to remember the formulas seeing as the info booklet wont be handed to you on the day of the exam...any good memorization tips as well?
Reply 1
The data booklet will be given to you. (unless something changed this year....), so learn where everything in the data booklet is. Other than that, just do all the past papers you can get your hands on (yes, ALL of them)
Reply 2
HeleneMK
i already purchased the IB data bank which is AMAZING, but then again, i also need to remember the formulas seeing as the info booklet wont be handed to you on the day of the exam...any good memorization tips as well?

Can I ask what the data booklet is? I am in SL right now and need all the help I can get, so is there somethingI can purchase?

Sorry to half-thread jack, just curious.
Reply 3
Drop to SL. I did and it was the best decision I could have made for my IB.
Reply 4
Stella476
Can I ask what the data booklet is? I am in SL right now and need all the help I can get, so is there somethingI can purchase?

Sorry to half-thread jack, just curious.

Booklet containing common identities, formulae, etc. You can use it on the exam, and I'm pretty sure there's one for SL too.
Reply 5
HeleneMK
I need some advice. Does anyone have any good studying tips for math hl?

Hey :hello: I've finished the course now, just waiting for the exam :smile:

Tips in no particular order:
* Keep up with the workload. If your teacher is anything like mine, you'll get more homework than for any other subject! Do them - it's pretty easy to fall behind and fall into the fabled HL mathematical abyss, but super hard to catch up again.
* When it comes to it, PAST PAPERS! Seriously. They make all the difference.
* Don't neglect paper 3. When you do your option pay close attention because, in my experience, it gets real difficult :eek: (Stats in case you are wondering)
*Work your ass off for your portfolio tasks. No joke - just ignore all your other subjects for 10 days if necessary (I had to). The exams are notoriously unpredictable in difficulty so just in case something goes wrong in the end you'll want to have a good head start.
* Learn how to make good use of your GDC. Using them properly is a valuable skill and can save you so much time on paper 2, especially as the mark schemes require surprisingly little working.

HeleneMK
i already purchased the IB data bank which is AMAZING, but then again, i also need to remember the formulas seeing as the info booklet wont be handed to you on the day of the exam...any good memorization tips as well?

Well, for things like trig identities practise the derivations. If you can remember how they start at the very least, you'll have a better 'feel' for how they all fit together. Still, the more questions you do the better the formulas will be ingrained into your memory. This is especially true of integration by parts when you get round to it. Standard-rote-memorization (cover, write, repeat etc) won't get you far there!

Last thing: I think it's standard practice for schools to provide clean copies of the data booklets for the exams. You certainly are allowed them!
Reply 6
opaltiger
Booklet containing common identities, formulae, etc. You can use it on the exam, and I'm pretty sure there's one for SL too.

Oh, okay. I have one of those, def, we just call them equations booklets :rolleyes:
Thanks much!
Reply 7
Hey I am in IB Higher Level Math, but in the US. At my school they say the class is too big and are making it extra hard to make kids drop down to SL, so I study really hard. Make sure after each class you fully understand the material, and the day before a test just work on all the different kinds of problems for the whole day. It will make the test easy :] It's also good you are working on stuff with your dad that's what I do, too.

Also, they never gave us booklets, where can I buy one?

Thanks!!
Reply 8
XLoveTodayX

Also, they never gave us booklets, where can I buy one?

HL
SL

You're welcome.
Reply 9
Hi, I'm taking the Math HL exams in November and I wish I was in standard! But if you like it don't drop, it's really interesting and challenging, but brain wrecking! Anybody taking Math HL in November?
I'm doing IB HL maths, starting next year? If I work really hard is it still difficult to get a 7? or 6
Reply 11
Original post by Samuelaston
I'm doing IB HL maths, starting next year? If I work really hard is it still difficult to get a 7? or 6

Practice is the key, really. My experience with math HL is that the theory is pretty easy but then the test questions are very difficult because of the time limit. You have so little time in the test that you don't have too much time to think; you need to know your stuff beforehand. Also the time pressure makes you do a lot of easy mistakes, and somewhat kills your thinking. So yes, it is hard to get a 7 but it is manageable with tons of practice.
Original post by eaw
Practice is the key, really. My experience with math HL is that the theory is pretty easy but then the test questions are very difficult because of the time limit. You have so little time in the test that you don't have too much time to think; you need to know your stuff beforehand. Also the time pressure makes you do a lot of easy mistakes, and somewhat kills your thinking. So yes, it is hard to get a 7 but it is manageable with tons of practice.

what did you achieve? and how much work did you have to do a day for a) Maths HL? and b) All the subjects combined?

Thanks
Reply 13
Original post by Samuelaston
what did you achieve? and how much work did you have to do a day for a) Maths HL? and b) All the subjects combined?

Thanks

I'm only halfway through so I might not know the whole truth.

Anyway, my grades have been around 5 (average 5.2) and I feel like I could do much better. Every time I go through the test questions after the test I feel like I should have been able to solve them, but I wasn't. I guess this can be put down to the fact that I've done virtually no work for math compared to other subjects, so I only understand the theory but I haven't practised solving exercises mechanically. This would be very helpful (if not essential) if you want to do well because, like already mentioned, you have very little time in the test.

Ps. I like to think that I'm pretty good at maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending