The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it isn't.
Reply 2
Micky Mouse courses are created by media who like nothing better than bringing young people down.

Yes some courses are easier than others but I don't feel there is any micky mouse course as such. If you were to get any random person of the street I bet 60% of them would not be capable of passing A levels even if they had be taught.
Reply 3
Chima
i take critical thinking at college, but one of my friends seems to think its a micky mouse course and its really easy. but i dont find it easy all of the time. plus it cant be a micky mouse course if uni's are gonna start using these sort of questions in their application asmissions. what do u think?

i take it too it's a mission. unis take it into account though. It's not like general studies
Reply 4
amazingtrade
Micky Mouse courses are created by media who like nothing better than bringing young people down.

Yes some courses are easier than others but I don't feel there is any micky mouse course as such. If you were to get any random person of the street I bet 60% of them would not be capable of passing A levels even if they had be taught.

From what I've been told by Critical Thinkers it is a harder AS-level than many.
It sounds too moden and general, so I say it is quite.
Reply 6
happysunshine

I think only those who have seen the syllabus can make comments if somthing is micky mouse or not.

A better way to determine what is a micky mouse course though is anything I have studied :smile:. So if I haven't studied it aint micky mouse.
Reply 7
i dont think so, its quite hard actually. i got a B in it despite a virtuoso exam performance.
Reply 8
happysunshine

No offence, but you can't make a judgement like that just off the title.
Lord Huntroyde
No offence, but you can't make a judgement like that just off the title.

Well you tell me what it is about...
Reply 10

Thanks but I'm sure you could learn most of that in subjects such as English, Politics and History.
Reply 12
happysunshine
Thanks but I'm sure you could learn most of that in subjects such as English, Politics and History.

i wouldnt say that you learn it in those subjects, but it can be applied to them along with other subjects. that's why my college only allows second year students to take it if they want.
Chima
i wouldnt say that you learn it in those subjects, but it can be applied to them along with other subjects. that's why my college only allows second year students to take it if they want.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Maybe I should study critical thinking...
Reply 14
I personally think it's stupid, yes it enhances your evaluation skills etc. but no more than history, psychology or philsophy etc. At my college they made all 1st year students take it as an extra, we had 1 double period a week. i hardly attended any lessons and managed to get a C. i think it depends what other subjects you do- if you do sciences it could show unis that you want a broader curriculum, but if you do fairly essay-based subjects i have no idea what you could possibly gain from it, but as an extra it looks good on your UCAS form with little work (i didn't even know what the format of the exams was going to be!) + if you don't do that well you can always decline the grade.

lou xxx
Reply 15
I got a C in it too. It's hardly mickey mouse.
Adhsur
I got a C in it too. It's hardly mickey mouse.

a lot of the questions from the OCR papers are used in admissions for uni - especially for courses like law or ppe etc
Reply 17
It's not a micky mouse subject, it's hard!
Reply 18
edders
i dont think so, its quite hard actually. i got a B in it despite a virtuoso exam performance.

Tahts what everyone thinks...
Reply 19
Its pretty much like general studies, turn up to the exam with no preparation and you can still pass. You could never do that with a subject like chemistry or maths though.

Latest