The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*dave*
Its pretty much like general studies, turn up to the exam with no preparation and you can still pass. You could never do that with a subject like chemistry or maths though.

But even if you do loads of work, you can't get an A....
Reply 21
Chima
i take critical thinking at college, but one of my friends seems to think its a micky mouse course and its really easy. but i dont find it easy all of the time. plus it cant be a micky mouse course if uni's are gonna start using these sort of questions in their application asmissions. what do u think?

no definetly not
Reply 22
no certainty not micky mouse...

a lot of unis actually emphasize candidates to have critical thinking skills... I applied to cambridge for engineering and I still had to do a thinking skills test! Not to mention someone who applied for law or philosphy

I think critical thinking is really useful, when you have to construct or oppose an argument etc... maybe because I study science I don't have many chances to get something like this as someone who do history or social sciences
Reply 23
akk713
no certainty not micky mouse...

a lot of unis actually emphasize candidates to have critical thinking skills... I applied to cambridge for engineering and I still had to do a thinking skills test! Not to mention someone who applied for law or philosphy

I think critical thinking is really useful, when you have to construct or oppose an argument etc... maybe because I study science I don't have many chances to get something like this as someone who do history or social sciences

Yes my written test at Cambridge was very similar to the Critical Thinking exam - quite worrying since I got a C on that!
~Sam~
It's not a micky mouse subject, it's hard!

Just because it's hard, doesn't mean it's a good subject.
Reply 25
It seems that everyone who has no idea what the subject actually is says it is 'mickey mouse' and those that do say it is not.
Lord Huntroyde
It seems that everyone who has no idea what the subject actually is says it is 'mickey mouse' and those that do say it is not.

Are you suggesting that you do?
Reply 27
happysunshine
Are you suggesting that you do?

I know what the course is about and what it involves.
Lord Huntroyde
I know what the course is about and what it involves.

I have a rough idea too. Why don't you take it at A-Level if you like the look of it?
Reply 29
happysunshine
I have a rough idea too. Why don't you take it at A-Level if you like the look of it?

Alas, my school does not offer it.
Lord Huntroyde
Alas, my school does not offer it.

Fair enough. I'm guessing the subject isn't as good as History, Politics, English Lang + Lit and all the other subjects similar to this.
Reply 31
happysunshine
Fair enough. I'm guessing the subject isn't as good as History, Politics, English Lang + Lit and all the other subjects similar to this.

It's an additional subject, not really something you would offer as one of your main ones. I think it is AS only anyway.
Lord Huntroyde
It's an additional subject, not really something you would offer as one of your main ones. I think it is AS only anyway.

Yes it is only avaliable in AS... which suggests something. I personally wouldn't pick it as an additional subjects but if anyone else wants to then that's up to them :smile:
Reply 33
happysunshine
Yes it is only avaliable in AS... which suggests something. I personally wouldn't pick it as an additional subjects but if anyone else wants to then that's up to them :smile:

what does it only being an AS suggest?
Lord Huntroyde
what does it only being an AS suggest?

A few things. They can't think of enough things for the students to study. No one wants to teach it. The government wont give funding until AS.

Well maybe I should shut my mouth, I know nothing about this...
Reply 35
According to one of the curriculum managers at my college, they are going to offer it as a full A Level in the next couple of years. He said that it's respected by Universities at the moment, but they are apparently evaluating how to treat it as well. At our college, we are forced to chose either that or Citizenship as an extra AS, with half the normal teaching time. I choose Citizenship, and if anything if a mickey mouse course, then that is... although people still managed to get Ds in it. Most of my friends who took critical thinking thought that they were being taught a load of rubbish, but none of them got very high grades for it.

Latest