The Student Room Group

Are Atheists Hypocrits?

I was recently thinking about what seems to be an explosion in the amount of Atheist 'propaganda' (perhaps not the right word) on the internet.

It seems that everywhere I turn these days, I can't help but here someone speaking out against religion, and claiming that religion is stupid because God doesn't exist. But are Atheists really that right in their argument?

Atheists have one key argument, since you can't prove God exists, he must not exist. Other notable smaller arguments include, if God was real why would he let bad things happen. We don't need God or religion to tell us how to act.

What Atheists don't often think about is that there are a countless number of mysteries which can't be explained, and yet we choose to believe in. Evolution has gaps, it is 99.9% right, but can it truly be proven? Well if any of us live for a thousand years then perhaps we can say that we have seen evolution take place with our own eyes, but surely you shouldn't need to see something with your own eyes to believe in it.

Dark matter, is a substance which cannot be measured, nor seen. It can only be inferred, from the massive amount of missing mass in the observable universe, and without it, the orbital rotations of galaxies would not make sense. Once again this is a case of, 'you can't see it, you can't prove it, hence it must not be real'.

It seems that Atheists place so much emphasis on disproving people's beliefs, that they often forget the gaping holes in their own. Surely therefore, by someone saying their is a God, and an Atheist saying, 'Prove it', surely a religious person could respond, 'prove evolution, explain the magical force which helps to keep the universe spinning'.

N.B. I am not a creationist, I believe that anyone who takes the Bible literally has too much space in between their ears, but then atheists all take the bible literally........

Scroll to see replies

Your arguments are fallacious.

- Evolution has logic/reasoning/rationale to back it up.
- Dark matter also (referring to the concept)

God does not. There is no rationale or evidence saying that God does or should exist, yet plenty of evidence saying that evolution exists.

Far less faith is needed to believe in evolution than in God.
Reply 2
rajandkwameali
Your arguments are fallacious.

- Evolution has logic/reasoning/rationale to back it up.
- Dark matter also (referring to the concept)

God does not. There is no rationale or evidence saying that God does or should exist, yet plenty of evidence saying that evolution exists.

Far less faith is needed to believe in evolution than in God.

The Goldilocks theorem states: 'The temperature of Earth is just right for flowing water on the surface, and for the rock which allows for continental drift. With continental drift, particles of the atmosphere which become trapped within the ground are brought back to the atmosphere through eruptions of volcanoes. These conditions cause refreshment of the planet's atmosphere. A medium sized atmosphere helps keep temperatures just right for flowing water (through the greenhouse effect). These conditions are just right for abundant life '

There you go, rationale that God exists, if the chance is so astronomically small that this would have happened surely there must be a divine power. To put this argument more simply, you drop 100 bricks off the top of a sky scraper, the chances that they land in a rectangle are astronomically small. If we then arrange it so that they definitely fall in to a rectangle then the chances are far higher.
Reply 3
I actually don't at all get those atheists you describe, i.e. those who mock or try to "convert" believers.

I'm atheist because I don't give a **** if god exists or not. I'm not at all bothered if other people want to believe in it - it's not my problem, and unlikely ever to become one of my problems. Live and let live..
Reply 4
We love bumfun.
We love group activities.
Religion condemns bumfun.

Thus the more atheists there are, the more we can engage with in our global conspiracy to end the world with AIDS, and more importantly, have bumfun.

I'm glad i could explain things to you.

Feel free to PM me with questions.
Sith5580
The Goldilocks theorem states: 'The temperature of Earth is just right for flowing water on the surface, and for the rock which allows for continental drift. With continental drift, particles of the atmosphere which become trapped within the ground are brought back to the atmosphere through eruptions of volcanoes. These conditions cause refreshment of the planet's atmosphere. A medium sized atmosphere helps keep temperatures just right for flowing water (through the greenhouse effect). These conditions are just right for abundant life '

There you go, rationale that God exists, if the chance is so astronomically small that this would have happened surely there must be a divine power. To put this argument more simply, you drop 100 bricks off the top of a sky scraper, the chances that they land in a rectangle are astronomically small. If we then arrange it so that they definitely fall in to a rectangle then the chances are far higher.

That's no rationale at all.
no more hypocritical than the rest of us
Reply 7
The argument isn't just 'you can't prove God exists, so he mustn't do', it's that there is no reason at all FOR him to. No more than a purple unicorn with green eyes.
Reply 8
Sith5580
gaping wholes

fail?
Sith5580

I think you may have forgotten the minor problem of the massive numbers of planets where life has failed.

It's just that the fact there's no life means there's no one there to look around at the wasteland around them and say "nope, definitely no God..."
Reply 10
The logic does not go: You cannot prove God exists, therefore he doesn't exist. It goes, as it were, sufficient evidence for the claim 'God exists' has not been presented- indeed, the evidence is not just absent but absent where we would expect it to be not so. Therefore belief in God cannot be rationally justified given evidence.

This is not to say that God absolutely, definitely does not exist. That's not a claim. What it does say is that there is insufficient evidence to support the claim that he does exist. In contrast, scientific theories like evolution, gravity are theories precisely because evidence for the theories is found where predicted.

In short, what you say atheists say, is, well, really not a thing which is uniformly said. At all.
Sith5580
'atheists all take the bible literally........'

Not true. Atheists disagree with the concepts and idealogical view points of the bible...
Reply 12
Sith5580

You're a retard. Just because the probability of it is low has nothing to do with proving God when we live in an as-good-as infinite universe.
Reply 13
Sith5580

That's a bit like getting dealt a great hand at poker, let's say a royal flush, and then saying "Wow! This is incredibly improbable. This is the best possible hand. God himself dealt me this hand", when actually it was your mate John who dealt you the cards. We got lucky. Woo! But, if life hadn't evolved, it wouldn't be here to marvel at the unlikelihood of existence.
Reply 14
Lefty Leo
We love bumfun.
We love group activities.
Religion condemns bumfun.

Thus the more atheists there are, the more we can engage with in our global conspiracy to end the world with AIDS, and more importantly, have bumfun.

I'm glad i could explain things to you.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

No offence, are you gay? I urban dictionaried it “bumfun” says “usually anal sex done by two males”.
Reply 15
The problem here is that you're taking atheism to mean something that most atheists don't agree with. This happens all the time because it's kind of ambiguous.
Reply 16
Answering a few points:

1) I'm glad you know that life has failed on a massive number of planets. Please could you inform NASA that after much deep exploration you have come to this conclusion.

2) If their is no need for a God or afterlife to exist, then we must all be happy that when we come to life's end, we were nothing more than a carbon vessel, destined to feed saprobiotic bacteria for a few years until we come to the point where no one's life has meant anything. If this is the case, why can't we rape, plunder, kill, after all it won't make a difference to the afterlife, and why would you hang on to life it means so little to everyone. Religion argues that life leads to soemthing greater, and that in order to become this we are governed by a moral code. Atheism argues, 'who gives a toss, let's do what we want within a mystical power we call the Law', clearly a thing as man made as religion.....

3) Gaping holes has been amended, thank you for using the grammatically correct sentence 'Fail'.
Reply 17
Mc'Lovin
No offence, are you gay? I urban dictionaried it “bumfun” says “usually anal sex done by two males”.

I think it was a joke:p:

No idea if he is gay or not, but if he is, I doubt that's his real reason for being an atheist.:p:
People can believe what they want. I just don't want it to be in my face all the time. That goes for religious people AND non religious people.
Reply 19
Salavant
That's a bit like getting dealt a great hand at poker, let's say a royal flush, and then saying "Wow! This is incredibly improbable. This is the best possible hand. God himself dealt me this hand", when actually it was your mate John who dealt you the cards. We got lucky. Woo! But, if life hadn't evolved, it wouldn't be here to marvel at the unlikelihood of existence.

But your assuming that God is taking a hand in everything we do. If God took a hand in the Big bang, could you prove, or disprove it? The answer would be no. In fact, what was there before the big bang. :confused: Wait, how did I get to that, where am I?.....

The argument that God guides us in life is improbable, since that would mean he allows good and bad to happen in equal measure.

Are you suggesting that the God of Poker is this almighty John? He who the prophet spoke of............ And there is no such thing as luck by the way.

Latest

Trending

Trending