The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous
Just got my third rejection and with that I've heard back from all my unis. The only offers I hold are from two unis I really don't want to go to - Loughborough and Queen Mary for English Literature.

The problem is I think I'm too clever for those places. I don't mean it in a bad way (and clearly my other unis would disagree) but after being interviewed at UCL and applying to all the top unis I don't know what to do.

Is it worth reapplying next year or should I stfu and just go to Queen Mary? Only the people that go there (from my experience) do very little work and I feel I'll be wasted there.

Advice? Or abuse if you want. Just don't know what to do. The future just got a whole lot murkier.

No offense but that is quite an arrogant post! Fair enough if you think you're cleverer than where you have got offers from, but stereotyping all of Queen Mary?... Not good.

Anyway, moving to my actual helpful reply.
Aye, as others have mentioned, don't feel compelled to go to University if the ones you've had offers from you aren't 100% happy with. Just apply through UCAS Extra/Clearing or even wait till next year!
If I was rejected from my top 2-3 I would probably have gone through UCAS extra, or waited till next year. Wouldn't risk wasting my time at a Uni I would be un-happy at! Good luck at least!
Reply 21
dont worry or get depressed about ANYTHING
the country is having a unviersity crisis and anyone who has even one place should be grateful.
also, dont feel depressed because of rejection, because the other places (apart from UCL) who met u probably didnt even meet u, an anyway, i dont think interviews reveal **** about a person. also english is very hard to apply for because its very popular.

YOU WILL BE FINE xxx
Reply 22
ANON FAIL xD

Cheers for the helpful posts guys.
I do sound a bit arrogant, I assure you its just the *post rejection "why me" victim mentality* taking hold. Besides I think the rejections have dented what ego I have to a more manageable size.

I understand I'm not the only person in this situation and trust me I've heard the horror stories about *no offers* so I am grateful I have at least something.

Maybe now isn't the best time to make any sort of decision - I'll wait until May (or at least until I get all my coursework done) and I'll be sure to check out Queen Mary one more time to see if I can't change my mind.

Have any of you re-applied for English the following year? If so how did it go? Also what could a potential English Lit student possibly do in a gap year that isn't wasteful? Other than a job for financial reasons I mean.

Advice? Abuse?
CherryCherryBoomBoom
You could maybe just go to Queen Mary's for the first year, then if you really don't like it then drop out and reapply for a different uni? By the way, seems a bit odd to be posting anonymously about this? :s-smilie:

Maybe OP feels embarassed and doesn't want to be judged by people that think he/she is being stuck up.
OP, have you tried talking to your teachers about this? Have you visited the uni etc? If you're sure you won't be happy there there's no point in wasting a few years of your life, or even one year whilst you decide (thousands of pounds will still have to be paid during that one year). Good luck, and I really hope you do make the right choice.
Reply 24
I think you should go to Queen Mary unless there's something productive that you can do for a year that will benefit you and aid your chances at getting into UCL next year. You're lucky to get into universities at all, lots of people are struggling, do your best (deep down, you know what you have to do).
Reply 25
It bemuses me when people apply to Universities that they do not want to go to, when in fact, they could use those choices to apply to somewhere they DO want to go.
Visit the open days? Who knows; you could end up loving it! If you don't like it, then possibly re-apply?
Reply 27
Anonymous
Just got my third rejection and with that I've heard back from all my unis. The only offers I hold are from two unis I really don't want to go to - Loughborough and Queen Mary for English Literature.

The problem is I think I'm too clever for those places. I don't mean it in a bad way (and clearly my other unis would disagree) but after being interviewed at UCL and applying to all the top unis I don't know what to do.

Is it worth reapplying next year or should I stfu and just go to Queen Mary? Only the people that go there (from my experience) do very little work and I feel I'll be wasted there.

Advice? Or abuse if you want. Just don't know what to do. The future just got a whole lot murkier.

Some people have suggested that you take a gap year and reapply.
The reasoning behind this is that there is record demand for university places this year and at the same time there are cuts in the number of places : the idea is that things could be better next year and if you reapply you could get into a better uni than Queen Mary.

I would say : think again about this.

We are in the middle of the worst recession since the second world war and fierce cuts in public spending have not yet begun to bite.
After the election this May there will be severe cuts whichever party gets power.

The idea of Tony Blair's that 50% of young people should go to uni has been quietly dropped and in my opinion we are likely to see a contraction of higher education, with several former polys closing or merging. It will be harder to get into UCL next year, not easier, in my opinion.

Universities are already facing severe cuts in funding and I think this will get worse rather than better during the next few years.
Reply 28
Another point I forgot to make : A level grades have been improving so much over recent years that grade A's are fairly run of the mill. Thirty years ago getting a grade A at A level put someone in a very small minority, I think only about 10% or fewer were at grade A. Now every Tom or Dick has a string of A's (probably because the exams have got easier for political reasons) so the good uni's are more selective. Also, ( and sorry if this is painful for you) because of political correctness, "every child matters" and all that stuff, it is the fashion to praise students excessively so that a large number of us think that we are better than we actually are, which I suspect is true in your case. When reality strikes home as it has for you, the typical reaction is to not accept it because you have been led to believe that you are too good for a place like QMC.
Go to LuffyBz. I bet you'll find people there that are significantly more intelligent than yourself.
Have you consdiered that those universities arent below you? If you were rejected from the others you obviously are not as good as you think you are and need to be brought back down to earth... Be happy you have offers, if your really not going to be happy then take a year out.
Reply 31
By the way, predicted grades....
They are just predicted and not real grades. There can be lots of reasons a grade is "predicted" and I guess some of the reasons are not quite what they should be.
I think it's a bit weird when you hear a student negotiating with his teacher about his predicted grade-who is meant to be doing the prediction?
Also I think the teacher can sometimes be under pressure to predict a higher grade than he knows is really going to happen in real life, maybe because he doesn't want to upset someone who is trying his best, or maybe because of not wanting to face angry parents.
I know that if you tell people what they want to hear they probably won't argue with you and give you a bad time.It's probably easier to predict something someone wants to hear than to tell the truth and to have to deal with their upset and complaints etc.
I think it's wrong to predict a high grade just as encouragement or just because someone wants to get an offer and won't get it with a lower predicted grade. Saying that you need a high predicted grade to get an offer can be a form of emotional blackmail.
andy12691
Why did you apply to Loughborough and QM at the first place when you already knew that you wouldn't want to go there?

This.

And you will have an advantage over the other students if you really are smarter than them. Like everyone else is saying, you are lucky to have some offers, some people have been rejected from all of their choices.
Reply 33
you should stfu and go to Queen's Mary. It is a good university. Best of luck for the future.
Anonymous

Dont worry...There's no point in going to a Uni which you don't like.. I would work really hard, get great A-Levels, have a great Gap Year and then re-apply! :biggrin:
I've heard of people being re-accepted after writing a letter to the uni (a friend of mine to imperial and southampton)....just try :smile:
And then if you get good grades in the exams you can think of re-applying, but if you're grades aren't that good, then it's not worth it!
I'm in the same position; rejected from my top three for English. QM is stilL very good, but remember that you pay to go to university. If you are not happy with the choice, then take a gap year :smile:.
I'm guessing you put those 2 Uni's down as a case of filling up the options of where you were going. If I were you, I would spare yourself the heartache and problem of going through it all again and just go to QM. You are in London, so you offer yourself many opportunities to do Literature-y stuff there, possibly many more than other universities. Trust me... I went from holding offers from Uni of York, Uni of Newcastle, Uni of Leeds and Uni of Liverpool, to having to go through clearing and ended up at LJMU - Law. And its really not that bad. Uni name is not all that as everyone makes out. We get the same emails as second and third years, and they still get placements at amazing law firms, still get training contracts at amazing law firms, get talks from barristers, solicitors, authors of the law books, everything. Uni name is not all its made out to be, I promise. Go to QM and have the time of your life.
Reply 38
Why do you not want to go to L'borough and QM? Is it purely you don't think they prestigous? Because it really doesn't matter where you go in the eyes of recruiters; you're classed as oxbridge/everywhere else. If you get a 1st from Lborough/QM (which if you're as clever as you say should be no problem-I was a mark off a first for English and I'm not particuarly clever) then you will rank higher than 2:1's from UCL and be on a par with 2:1's from oxbridge. This is just because such a small % of students get a 1st you are immediately elite regardles of the Uni (well maybe apart from some terrible ex poly).
You could take a year out working for a magazine/newspaper etc if you really don't want to go to those universities or see what clearing has to offer. With good grades you might get in somewhere really good but that would be very lucky and a big risk.

London would offer loads of (potenially prestigious) opportunities for work experience during your degree which are equally as important as academic results for jobs.
I would be wary in the current climate of rejecting places at University when it is so oversubscribed this year, especially for competitive subjects like English.

Where ever you go, make the most of it don't be depressed/bitter about not going somewhere better. Most unis are the similar in terms of experiences (other than oxbridge) so just try get involved in as much as possible, find a few friends and have fun:

it will be over before you know it!
Plus if you get a 1st you could apply to oxbridge for post graduate degree or UCL etc?
I wouldn't take a gap year too hastily as you may end up taking one inadvertantly after graduation while you attempt to find a job!
I'd gap year and reapply!

Latest

Trending

Trending