The Student Room Group
Relying on clearing on such a competitive course is very risky, assuming you want to go to a "good" university.
Reply 2
Well as long as your insurance is 1-2 grades lower (recommended) than your first choice, I wouldn't worry too much about clearing. Clearing really is a last resort for those that don't meet their target grades... or have no idea what they want to do!
Reply 3
Why do you HAVE to?
Reply 4
Shook
I have to decide whether to put Manchester firm and Liverpool insurance or Liverpool firm and Hull insurance.

If I go for the former and miss a grade, is clearing a good backup or not? Bearing in mind I HAVE to go to university in september.

This is for Economics BSc/BA by the way.

as risky as unprotected sex with an AIDS carrier
Relying on clearing is pretty risky this year as there has been a big rise in the number of applicants. That said, assuming there is a difference in the entry grades for M'cr and L'pool (i.e. they're not both AAB or something) then put those two down.
Reply 6
Clearing isn't the mad scramble the media makes out.

I originally wrote that, and UCAS copied me and put it in their guides, so it must be true.
Shook
I have to decide whether to put Manchester firm and Liverpool insurance or Liverpool firm and Hull insurance.

If I go for the former and miss a grade, is clearing a good backup or not? Bearing in mind I HAVE to go to university in september.

Only you can decide that, we don't know what you are looking for in a course or what you think of the unis. Remind yourself why you applied, weigh up the pros and cons and an answer should present itself.

Good Luck.:cool:
It depends... I do not want to end up in clearing for English for sure :eek2:
Reply 9
Shook

it IS in fact Russian roluette.
Reply 10
I'd have said it was pretty risky-I know people who had massive problems only just missing their grades last year. One of my friends was meant to be studying English at Nottingham, missed her grades narrowly, and the best she could get through clearing was Plymouth....
Reply 11
ToryGirl
I'd have said it was pretty risky-I know people who had massive problems only just missing their grades last year. One of my friends was meant to be studying English at Nottingham, missed her grades narrowly, and the best she could get through clearing was Plymouth....

Thanks for all the replies (except the terrible joke above this girl's post). I decided to take the less risky option and firm Liverpool. If I didn't have to go to uni this year then I probably would have gone with the other choice but ah well :h:
Shook

I think its a bit too risky.
The chance of you getting a competitive place in clearing for economics is small to none, but risk is not just about the extreme outcomes, it's as much about the chance of it actually happening. Yes, you could bomb your A-levels but the key question is how likely is it that you actually miss your grades for both firm and insurance?

Latest

Trending

Trending