The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

YouKnewThat!
Are you taking all your subjects to A2?

Yep, I would've liked to drop French although I've always loved it because the teacher's making my life a living hell, but there are sooo many reasons that I shouldn't so I'll just have to grin and bear it. Also Richard Partington said if I wanted to apply to places like Durham and Cambridge if I dropped anything it should be law, but I love law. How about you?
*Bethany*
Yep, I would've liked to drop French although I've always loved it because the teacher's making my life a living hell, but there are sooo many reasons that I shouldn't so I'll just have to grin and bear it. Also Richard Partington said if I wanted to apply to places like Durham and Cambridge if I dropped anything it should be law, but I love law. How about you?

Stick with French - I don't know if you only want to drop it because of your teacher (mine was totally useless, but I had an amazing tutor) but stick with it. I came top six in my year for French at GCSE and really wanted to continue with it because I love the language: but AS was such a jump and I became really disiullusioned and frustrated. I came out with a low B for AS but knew I had to stick with it. I did masses of past papers (seriously, theyre the most helpful things ever so do all of them for the last 5 years) and suddenly it just clicked: I retook the ASs (always advisable for languages, because itll seem so easy in comparison to A2) and came out with one mark off an A!
Reply 82
*Bethany*

the guidelines at unis like cambridge and durham and lse tend to be one 'non traditional' subject (ie law, business studies) is ok as long as you are doing three 'traditional' subjects at A2 like history, french, biology etc
*Bethany*
So does getting a top mark in the so-called "Mickey Mouse" subjects mean anything at all to universities? Or was my Law AS a complete waste of time from that point of view? Even if I'd known it wasn't respected (I took it because I thought it would be a challenge...), I would've taken it and I've really enjoyed it and will carry it on next year- I think that's the most important thing. *But*, if I'd known it was seen as non traditional or whatever I might have done a 5th AS.

Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. I was so chuffed at getting 300/300 in sociology, but will universities be as impressed or will they just dismiss it as an 'easy' subject? I'm also taking 3 traditional A2s alongside it; the same 3 traditional A2s as Bethany, in fact! :biggrin:
Reply 84
kellywood_5
Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. I was so chuffed at getting 300/300 in sociology, but will universities be as impressed or will they just dismiss it as an 'easy' subject? I'm also taking 3 traditional A2s alongside it; the same 3 traditional A2s as Bethany, in fact! :biggrin:

No other universities ask for your UCAS breakdown, though your teachers may mention it in their reference
notyourpunk
No other universities ask for your UCAS breakdown, though your teachers may mention it in their reference

Yeah, I'm going to ask my sociology and French teachers to mention my UMS marks in my reference because they were so high, and my English teacher because I was so close to an A. I'll probably resit 1 unit each of English and history, so I might ask them to mention that too.
Reply 86
kellywood_5
Yeah, I'm going to ask my sociology and French teachers to mention my UMS marks in my reference because they were so high, and my English teacher because I was so close to an A. I'll probably resit 1 unit each of English and history, so I might ask them to mention that too.

Do universities even get your AS marks unless you certify? For some reason I seem to remember they don't?
Reply 87
*Bethany*
So does getting a top mark in the so-called "Mickey Mouse" subjects mean anything at all to universities?

it should probably mean something, but i'd be surprised if it meant as much as say top marks in a science or language.
notyourpunk
Do universities even get your AS marks unless you certify? For some reason I seem to remember they don't?

I have no idea, but there's a space for AS results on the online UCAS form, so I don't see why I shouldn't be able to use it. I think my school just gives people the option of not putting them down because a lot of people do badly.
ant87
it should probably mean something, but i'd be surprised if it meant as much as say top marks in a science or language.

Oh I know it won't mean as much as it would if I'd got it say in French (ha!) but I was just wondering - if you put it with a top mark in the subject you're applying for and a 290+ in another, will it help to make up for being just off an A in French, or will it just be more of an irrelevance as so many TSR people have told me Law is viewed as a complete "doss subject". Ah for that one extra mark in French...
Reply 90
No, you can only put AS grades down if they are cashed-in using the subject codes i.e. final, no more re-takes and you get the certs...If they're not, your teachers might include them on your ref.
Narcissus
No, you can only put AS grades down if they are cashed-in using the subject codes i.e. final, no more re-takes and you get the certs...If they're not, your teachers might include them on your ref.

Thanks. So if I can get my teachers to predict me AAAB at A2, which I should be able to because I was only 3 marks off an A in English lit and I'm going to resit a unit, would it be better to just put those down, or should I ask to cash in my AS grades? I know it won't matter for Cambridge, but for other universities, do they like to see AS grades as well or does it not matter?
kellywood_5

I wouldn't worry about it. Though perhaps Sociology might not particularly boost your application, it certainly won't harm it in any way. You're doing English, History and a language which is a fairly catch-all combination to apply for most Arts subjects. A little extra on top of that can't hurt!
magicalsausage
I wouldn't worry about it. Though perhaps Sociology might not particularly boost your application, it certainly won't harm it in any way. You're doing English, History and a language which is a fairly catch-all combination to apply for most Arts subjects. A little extra on top of that can't hurt!

True, but do you think sociology and law are regarded as at all worthwhile? Although I've got the 3 traditional AS levels, I slipped to a B in French (1 mark off an A) and although I can pull it up to a decent A next year I'm worried that law will be meaningless and so I'm essentially applying with two AS's - English and History. I got 300 in English and 293 in history which I'm hoping will help, but am annoyed at letting the French get away from me.

Btw, didn't you get an English offer from Cam?
*Bethany*
True, but do you think sociology and law are regarded as at all worthwhile? Although I've got the 3 traditional AS levels, I slipped to a B in French (1 mark off an A) and although I can pull it up to a decent A next year I'm worried that law will be meaningless and so I'm essentially applying with two AS's - English and History. I got 300 in English and 293 in history which I'm hoping will help, but am annoyed at letting the French get away from me.

Btw, didn't you get an English offer from Cam?

I did, yes. It's nothing worth worrying over, at all. As you say, you have the three traditional subjects - it won't be a problem. There are so many other factors involved that choice of subject (within reason) probably won't make much of a difference. As long as you can convince them that you're passionate about the subject and able to get the required grades, you've got as much of a chance as anyone else. If you need to expend nervous Cambridge-application energy, you'd be better off putting it into something that can actually help your application, like reading some theoretical work or getting started on coursework, rather than worrying about things you can't predict. Doing that would also help your applications to other universities - you really can't let yourself get caught up in the "Oxbridge dream" too much.

Good luck!
magicalsausage
I did, yes. It's nothing worth worrying over, at all. As you say, you have the three traditional subjects - it won't be a problem. There are so many other factors involved that choice of subject (within reason) probably won't make much of a difference. As long as you can convince them that you're passionate about the subject and able to get the required grades, you've got as much of a chance as anyone else. If you need to expend nervous Cambridge-application energy, you'd be better off putting it into something that can actually help your application, like reading some theoretical work or getting started on coursework, rather than worrying about things you can't predict. Doing that would also help your applications to other universities - you really can't let yourself get caught up in the "Oxbridge dream" too much.

Good luck!

All very true :smile: thanks! I'd be equally happy with an offer from Durham, York or UEA - but in some ways they seem even harder to get into, because they look more at GCSE grades and don't give you the chance of interview or submitting written work.

Latest

Trending

Trending