The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Shoe sales are the best thing ever. Funnily enough, all the shoes that people comment on came from the sales- including my £5 strappy pink sandals from Schuh. My best bargain to date :biggrin:
Reply 81
kokopops
omg just got my best sale shoes ever...a pair of pointy stilettos from dune...pinky lilacy colour ... £60 reduced to £15 ... also got some flipflops for £10 and a pair of cute nike trainers today ... thats like 3 pairs in about 20minutes! oops! but im proud!! hehehe

*jealous* :biggrin: I haven't been out in days I need to go shopping!
Reply 82
haha, I've never worn heels over a couple of centimeters, but sometime last month or so, I went to an opera and wore very high heels. I figured I'd be sitting most of the time anyways and I'm fairly short (5'2"), but I made the biggest fool of myself! DO NOT wear heels if you haven't practiced walking in them. You'll look much more elegant in flat shoes :frown:
Reply 83
~*PinkTeaCozy*~
haha, I've never worn heels over a couple of centimeters, but sometime last month or so, I went to an opera and wore very high heels. I figured I'd be sitting most of the time anyways and I'm fairly short (5'2"), but I made the biggest fool of myself! DO NOT wear heels if you haven't practiced walking in them. You'll look much more elegant in flat shoes :frown:

Hehehe poor thing. :wink: Have you worn them since?

*STILL hasn't practised walking in hers... hoping for better weather :p: or any excuse...
Reply 84
Madelyn
Am I the only one who really doesn't like kitten heels? I think they look weird and sort of...I don't know, just wrong! Either wear flats or normal heels, stop sitting on the fence!

Some kitten heels can be very cute - but I'm not a big fan of adding heels to ballet flats. The beauty in ballet shoes is exactly that - that they appear to be for ballet. I've only seen a few ballet pumps that I really liked.
Reply 85
hugatree
Hehehe poor thing. :wink: Have you worn them since?

*STILL hasn't practised walking in hers... hoping for better weather :p: or any excuse...

Not in public, no :wink: But I do wear them around the house every now and then to get used to them. lol :biggrin:
Reply 86
hugatree
Do you think it's necessary for a girl to wear heels at some point? I'm 19 and have never had a pair of shoes with even short heels, you know like 2cm or sth.
Last week I bought a pair of sandals with heels in case I might need them (and tbh I found them pretty so couldn't resist :p: ) but I doubt I can even walk on them well enough to not look stupid. :rolleyes:
If I'm like, 30 and go to a fancy party will I NEED high heels or can I just wear boots under a dress?

:eek: EVERY GIRL NEEDS HEELS!!!!!!

I think im going to faint! :eek: :eek:

Its the beauty of those shoes. Have you never felt sexier in a hot pair of Stilettos and a short black dress? They are magic!
Reply 87
Everdawn
Have you never felt sexier in a hot pair of Stilettos and a short black dress? They are magic!

Well... no... :p: I've never worn an outfit like that.
Reply 88
hugatree
or can I just wear boots under a dress?

Darling, it is never acceptable to wear boots under a dress. promise me you will never do this. It's so "mona the vampire".

Next - you can't walk in heels? i'll tell you a secret. nobody is born with the ability. Practice makes perfect, and after a while they will be slippers, just make sure you don't walk like a penguin.

Lastly - "when i'm 30"? 30?? come on. your best leg years are now, get used to it, you'll learn to love it.

I suppose i should say here that if you don't want to wear heels, of course you shouldn't. invest in some stunning flats - there is a particularly fabulous pair of flats in the sale in jigsaw at the moment that will look very sophisticated (as long as you show them off of course).
However, if you wish you could wear heels - do not be put off my any initial pains/strains/scratches. I promise, you will learn to love them, just practice by wearing them around the house to start with.

Helene x
Reply 89
I think you can sometimes wear boots under a dress. They just have to be the right boots with the right dress. Post possible boots/dress combinations and TSR (your new style guru) will tell you whether or not you may wear them :p:
And Helene*, nice avatar.
I grew up wearing heels and there are quite a few complications that come with that...tilted pelvis, shortened calves, tightened muscles, lower back pain, etc. (However, it DOES lift the ass and straighten posture)...

With the new styles in flat-wear, you needn't force yourself to wear heels if you feel uncomfortable in them. If you try them on, they feel good, then great! Women say that heels empower them, they feel more confident, sexy, etc. But how can you be sexy and confident if every step is like a knife in the front pad of your foot? Remember, sexy does not equal tottering, tripping and limping. You want to look confident and comfortable, not just for guys, but for yourself.

Plus, you don't wanna waste big bucks on foot gels/pads/band-aids/moleskin patches, etc.
Reply 91
Helene thank you very much for the advice. :wink: I do however agree with Madelyn, I do it all the time.

Hm, so many complications from wearing heels... WMW you sound experienced :p: Think I'll stick to flats most of the time. Thanks all!
hugatree
Helene thank you very much for the advice. :wink: I do however agree with Madelyn, I do it all the time.

Hm, so many complications from wearing heels... WMW you sound experienced :p: Think I'll stick to flats most of the time. Thanks all!

lol no problem. it's all about comfort. :-)
Reply 93
WetMyWhistle
I grew up wearing heels and there are quite a few complications that come with that...tilted pelvis, shortened calves, tightened muscles, lower back pain, etc. (However, it DOES lift the ass and straighten posture)...
With the new styles in flat-wear, you needn't force yourself to wear heels if you feel uncomfortable in them. If you try them on, they feel good, then great! Women say that heels empower them, they feel more confident, sexy, etc. But how can you be sexy and confident if every step is like a knife in the front pad of your foot? Remember, sexy does not equal tottering, tripping and limping. You want to look confident and comfortable, not just for guys, but for yourself.

Plus, you don't wanna waste big bucks on foot gels/pads/band-aids/moleskin patches, etc.

I do hope you're joking...it bends your spine loooads
Fleece
I do hope you're joking...it bends your spine loooads

well, true it does bend the spine, but as opposed to wear flats, you can curve your shoulders over more, but when you wear heels, your pelvis is thrusted forward and your shoulders lean backwards to balance it out, so...it sort of straightens your posture...
Reply 95
yes and completely ruins your spine in the process...it might look good now but when you're older you'll develop a hump back :smile:
i remember watching a video in gcse PE where this guy in just a pair of pants had a line drawn down his spine and he wore high heels and a handbag and it showed how far the spine was bent from its normal position.....omg thats actually really disturbing now i think about it!!
Fleece
yes and completely ruins your spine in the process...it might look good now but when you're older you'll develop a hump back :smile:
i remember watching a video in gcse PE where this guy in just a pair of pants had a line drawn down his spine and he wore high heels and a handbag and it showed how far the spine was bent from its normal position.....omg thats actually really disturbing now i think about it!!

...sorry, but that sounds scarier than chinese foot binding....or childbirth.

and that's simply more of a reason why I'm a total advocate for flats! :-D
Reply 97
I still dont think i should have been shown a video of a half naked man in high heels and handbag at such an impressionable young age.

Woo i love flats too :biggrin:
Fleece
I still dont think i should have been shown a video of a half naked man in high heels and handbag at such an impressionable young age.

Woo i love flats too :biggrin:

well, think of it this way...they were -preparing- you for the harsh, harsh realities of this world...handbags, heels and all. :p:
Reply 99
Fleece

:rofl:

I'm absolutely fine with men wearing high heels and handbags. :biggrin: I probably won't be able to hide a grin, but anyone should be entitled to wear what he likes. My bf wouldn't get away with it :p: but then he's not gay.

Latest