The Student Room Group

Will I ever need to wear high heels?

Do you think it's necessary for a girl to wear heels at some point? I'm 19 and have never had a pair of shoes with even short heels, you know like 2cm or sth.
Last week I bought a pair of sandals with heels in case I might need them (and tbh I found them pretty so couldn't resist :p: ) but I doubt I can even walk on them well enough to not look stupid. :rolleyes:
If I'm like, 30 and go to a fancy party will I NEED high heels or can I just wear boots under a dress?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hugatree
Do you think it's necessary for a girl to wear heels at some point? I'm 19 and have never had a pair of shoes with even short heels, you know like 2cm or sth.
Last week I bought a pair of sandals with heels in case I might need them (and tbh I found them pretty so couldn't resist :p: ) but I doubt I can even walk on them well enough to not look stupid. :rolleyes:
If I'm like, 30 and go to a fancy party will I NEED high heels or can I just wear boots under a dress?

I think you could wear flat shoes under a dress that look nice, wouldn't wear boots under a dress though, that probably wouldn't look too good.
I have two pairs of sandals with high heels, but not stiletto, I don't think I could walk in those. So you might try and get some with a bit wider heals that don't look chunky, they are not difficult to walk in at all. Well, at least if you don't get medium sized heels. :smile:
Reply 2
I always wear kitten-heels when I have to wear some smart shoes with a dress - they're really not that hard to walk in...you just need some practise if you've never worn ANY heels before! I'm not a big fan of high heels and certainly donb't wear anything over a couple of centimetres..I'm reasonably tall (5ft7) and am quite happy wearing small heels. Just wear what you're comfortable with ultimately - confidence is the best outfit you can wear :smile:
Reply 3
Hehe yeah, definitely no stiletto heels. :biggrin: I'll wear them around the house, practise walking! They aren't very high, sandals, and the heels are quite broad so walking shouldn't be TOO hard.
I thought the boots looked quite nice under my skirt, but I guess they're not as elegant. Thanks for the replies. :wink:

(BTW I'm as tall as you are Hoofbeat, it's not that tall but wouldn't want to be bigger and make heels even more of a problem!)
Reply 4
You don't have to wear heels if you don't want to, especially now as there are so many pretty flat shoes around. I wear heels because I think they're pretty, and I enjoy being an extra couple of inches taller (and it makes me look thinner, which is always nice!). Practise walking around the house, but I really don't think walking in heels is as hard as people make it out to be! If you do start thinking about stilettos, boots are a good place to start - I find them much easier, as well as more comfortable, than sandal-type shoes.
As for the boots/dress combination, it can work, it depends on your boots and your dress!
Reply 5
there's no rule saying you have to wear heels at some point, but you probably will! i'm 18 and i barely ever wear heels becaue my feet are really small (not lengthwise, they are just like slim feet) and so i tend to fall out of shoes that i'm not strapped in to, lol, but even so i find there are occasions when i can put up with the discomfort (big formal events). they aren't actually difficult to walk in once you get going (honestly, i'm a really clumsy person, flat ground can trip me up, but i can manage 4 inch heels if i have to), they are just not that comfy. anyway, if heels start to hurt, you can always take them off and go barefoot :biggrin:
Reply 6
Whatever you feel comfortable and confident in will always make you look great. So if you don't want to wear heels, don't. There was a great pic in Vogue recently of Elle Macpherson wearing Havaianas and a ball gown. There's lots to choose from, go for flats or kitten heels if that's what you like and eventually, if you were up for it, you could build up to stilettos. Always up to you.
I hardly ever wear heels. i look silly and they're uncomfortable! i dont think heels are necessary ever. You can look just as nice in really pretty, dressy flat shoes, and you wont worry about falling over!
Reply 8
I can't see how anyone can live without heels!
Reply 9
i cant get high heel to fit, my feet are really wide and i have flat feet, i dont have natural arches. So even if they do fit their very unfortable to wear. I tend to wear trainers and flip flops mostly. Im trying to get some shoes, since im on placement next year and i will have interviews this year. I doubt they will have any form of a heel on, and infact dreeding going and trying shoes on, its alot of money if they cripple me.
Reply 10
Glory
i cant get high heel to fit, my feet are really wide and i have flat feet, i dont have natural arches. So even if they do fit their very unfortable to wear. I tend to wear trainers and flip flops mostly. Im trying to get some shoes, since im on placement next year and i will have interviews this year. I doubt they will have any form of a heel on, and infact dreeding going and trying shoes on, its alot of money if they cripple me.

When buying shoes, always make sure you walk around in them as much as possible. If you feel weird doing this then try to make it look like you're looking at the other shoes. If they're really uncomfy then don't buy them!
Reply 11
oh dont get me wrong i do walk around in them. I brought these between the toe sandels, they felt fine in the shop really comfy. I broke them in around the house and was confident enough to wear them out, went shopping in them and because my feet swelled up i got a blister between my toe. I find as soon as i do any serious walking, my feet swell up and i get problems, no amount of walking around the shop will indicate whether that will happen.

Im also a awkward size, theres never any out on display so i have to ask to try them when i finally get them the shop assistant follows me around and you can feel the presure to hurry up and buy. Either that or she thinks im gonna walk out of the shop wearing them
Reply 12
Juno

Because they hurt and are unnecessary most of the time? Especially when you're my height.
Reply 13
Helenia
Because they hurt and are unnecessary most of the time? Especially when you're my height.

how tall are your helenia? Im 5'8 around 176cm i find heels make my mom and sister seem even smaller, i think i get my height from my dad.
Reply 14
I never wear high heels as I just dont like them, Id rather wear a wedge to give a bit of height if I need it. I see so many women struggling to walk in high heels, I just cant be bothered with them. Each to their own though, its just not for me!
Reply 15
Helenia

No, flat shoes hurt! Plus I'm 5'8 and I wear them :smile:
Reply 16
Glory
oh dont get me wrong i do walk around in them. I brought these between the toe sandels, they felt fine in the shop really comfy. I broke them in around the house and was confident enough to wear them out, went shopping in them and because my feet swelled up i got a blister between my toe. I find as soon as i do any serious walking, my feet swell up and i get problems, no amount of walking around the shop will indicate whether that will happen.

To solve that problem only go shoe shopping near the end of the day when your feet have swollen!
do you walk funny in high heels? i do
Reply 18
Juno

I own one pair of kitten heeled boots and thats enough for me. i will always live in flats. heels are horrid
Reply 19
Juno

My problem is normally with the shoe, not the heels themselves. That is, the backs normally dig into some scars I have on my foot or are generally uncomfortable and same for the rest of the shoe. I keep getting blisters from walking in such shoes. If they were comfortable I wouldn't mind high heels, they'd make my legs look longer and I could work out how to walk in them, but most high heel shoes are just uncomfortable.

Latest