The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Hi, i've firmed Warwick for 2010 entry for the Law and Business course which requires AAB. However, I am 99% sure that I haven't achieved the necessary grades to be accepted on to the course and reckon I've probably got BBB. I'm desperate to go to Warwick though and do the Law and Business course so am looking down every possible avenue. I know Warwick aren't keen on people resitting but if I was to do another year of A levels and study two entirely new subjects in an attempt to achieve the two A's needed to satisfy the AAB requirement, are Warwick likely to accept me for a place on the course once again if I were to re-apply. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
what are the options available to people who wish to study a language outside their degree? ive already registered & bought the books for my optionals however was thinking more and more about trying to sink my teeth into learning some Cantonese (considering applying to HKU for masters)...however it seems only Mandarin is available (according to the language site)....plus how would we go about it if were not registered for the language module as one of our optionals (and i cant overcat)? i looked at the LLL courses but they seem a bit too slow paced....
Zweihander
It's supposedly 2Mbps, which is like 250 kb/sec download.

*At best. It gets worse at peak times. Average speed is between 1000 and 1300kbps.
benren
Hi, i've firmed Warwick for 2010 entry for the Law and Business course which requires AAB. However, I am 99% sure that I haven't achieved the necessary grades to be accepted on to the course and reckon I've probably got BBB. I'm desperate to go to Warwick though and do the Law and Business course so am looking down every possible avenue. I know Warwick aren't keen on people resitting but if I was to do another year of A levels and study two entirely new subjects in an attempt to achieve the two A's needed to satisfy the AAB requirement, are Warwick likely to accept me for a place on the course once again if I were to re-apply. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What are your alternatives if you do not meet your offer this year? Do you have an insurance?

If you don't, then the process is simple, apply again next year and do the additional A levels (if you wish/resit the ones you want as well). You have 5 options so put Warwick as one of them. If you have an insurance, as yourself if you want to go there or would rather try again for Warwick (and possibly other unis).
Hi, I am an overseas postgrad student and there were some things on my mind about life in Warwick - firstly, are the bans on mini fridges and wireless routers in halls enforced?

Secondly - and rather more importantly I read that there was no such thing as permanent student parking, now, I will need a car when I'm there - not for in campus use, I think I'll be fine walking for that. But, since I don't live in UK I have no garage or something to keep a car. I was wondering how other students coped with this restriction, and if there was something to be done about it i.e. is there a parking lot close to the university maybe?
aristobulus
Hi, I am an overseas postgrad student and there were some things on my mind about life in Warwick - firstly, are the bans on mini fridges and wireless routers in halls enforced?

Secondly - and rather more importantly I read that there was no such thing as permanent student parking, now, I will need a car when I'm there - not for in campus use, I think I'll be fine walking for that. But, since I don't live in UK I have no garage or something to keep a car. I was wondering how other students coped with this restriction, and if there was something to be done about it i.e. is there a parking lot close to the university maybe?

Mini fridges - if you have a good enough reason (medical/disability) then it is allowed. In other cases, just get along well with your cleaner and camouflage it with books around it or something and you should be able to keep it. Although going to the kitchen to get stuff is a social thing, rather than staying in your room when you want something.

Wireless routers - Switches won't work, routers will. Routers can be discovered. However I didn't try use one so I'm not sure if they are enforcing the rule. Apparently torrenting was possible last year, and they don't care about DC++ within campus. Download rule didn't seem to be enforced - I transferred over 80GB of traffic in a week in term 3.

Cars - I really doubt you will be able to keep a car on campus for the entire year. If you live off campus then obviously if you have space in front of your house it will be possible. Options: manage to find a unrestricted parking space in the Cannon Park area or perhaps offer/advertise a homeowner living in that area a sum of money to keep your car there for the year.
If you are an overseas student I'm not sure I understand why you would need a car anyway. Transport links are very good, the airport is nearby, and it will be a lot cheaper than driving anywhere. Meanwhile, everything you need on an everyday basis is a walk away...
Reply 387
Are you allowed to play online with games consoles?
Reply 388
Is HSBC on campus?
Abh1shek
Is HSBC on campus?

Not anymore They moved out 11 months ago.

Natwest, Barclays and Santander have branches on campus. Most other banks will probably have branches in Coventry.
Ultimate1
Are you allowed to play online with games consoles?

I think so. Although I haven't personally tried it so I'm not 100% certain. I'm about 85% certain.
Reply 391
TheTallOne
I think so. Although I haven't personally tried it so I'm not 100% certain. I'm about 85% certain.

OK, thank, mate.
Reply 392
Cheapest way to get to London? How much time would it take?
Abh1shek
Cheapest way to get to London? How much time would it take?

Cheapest: Megabus from Cannon Park (where Tesco is) to Victoria Coach Station, 2 and a half hours - somewhere between £5 and £15 dependent on when you book.

Fastest: Bus to Coventry station and train to Euston, 1 hour or so (depending on the bus).
anyone elses webmail not working? is this the transition they were talking about?
abrp
anyone elses webmail not working? is this the transition they were talking about?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/newschanges/changeschedule/?calendarItem=094d43ed29a837c00129b251fe887ac1
It will be fixed by Saturday.

Transition from Squirrel to Live happens on the 14th to 16th of August.
After results day. They don't allocate halls beforehand for obvious reasons.

My offer was sent on the 8th of September.
Reply 397
TheTallOne
After results day. They don't allocate halls beforehand for obvious reasons.

My offer was sent on the 8th of September.

I'd be good if they did that with people who had unconditionals..
Focus08
I'd be good if they did that with people who had unconditionals..

What do you mean?
Reply 399
TheTallOne
What do you mean?

Allocated accommodation to people holding unconditional offers (i.e. before results day)

Quick Reply

Latest