The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by KP 2010
Is it weird to go to Warwick on the 1st even if your name is in the lower half of the register?

Definitely go on the first day. Better kitchen space and stuff. Also more time to meet new people. If someone comes on the second day, he might find that everyone is already friendly, making groups etc making it more difficult.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1821
Thanks for the answer you four. :smile:

I think I'll defo go on the first day now lol. Hopefully I won't be questioned about it.
If I brought a Macbook Pro to Warwick, might I experience compatibility issues? For example, if I wanted to open a slideshow that was used in a lecture?
Original post by Crazydavy
If I brought a Macbook Pro to Warwick, might I experience compatibility issues? For example, if I wanted to open a slideshow that was used in a lecture?

If you download OpenOffice for free it will open anything :smile:
Reply 1824
Original post by Crazydavy

I use a mac. Only problems I ever get is if a doc comes out with funky formatting. Slideshows are a bit of a problem too I guess, the formatting can be annoying. As georgia pointed out, OpenOffice can help...alternatively it would possibly be worth getting Office for mac, or just using one of the many computers on campus.

Other than that, not a problem. Even helps if you are doing some things, like trying to work on the UNIX servers! Programming for Scientists...most useful module I have done at this uni.
Reply 1825
Does Warwick require me to get vaccination shots like for meningitis before flying over? I can't find anything about this on their website =/
Original post by Closecl
Does Warwick require me to get vaccination shots like for meningitis before flying over? I can't find anything about this on their website =/

Check page 29 of the international guide:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/offerholders/international-guide11

Please ensure your inoculations (vaccinations) are up-to-date before coming to the UK and have a record with you of all the inoculations that you have had. All students require the meningitis vaccine. Please try to have either the meningitis C or meningitis A + C vaccination before leaving your home country. If you are unable to arrange this, ask your GP in the UK (General Practitioner or Doctor) as soon as you register. We also recommend that you are vaccinated against Measles, Mumps and Rubella.
People mention that the bus takes 20 minutes or 40 minutes to get over to Leam, but what do people generally do on this journey? Do you get people actually doing their work on the bus? :tongue:
Reply 1828
Original post by Kidms001
People mention that the bus takes 20 minutes or 40 minutes to get over to Leam, but what do people generally do on this journey? Do you get people actually doing their work on the bus? :tongue:

Chat or listen to music. In my opinion its not a conducive working environment...very bumpy!
Original post by Jale
Chat or listen to music. In my opinion its not a conducive working environment...very bumpy!

Haha thanks! I didn't mean actually writing essays or anything, but do people read books, or is it generally listening to music and chatting?
Reply 1830
Original post by Kidms001
Haha thanks! I didn't mean actually writing essays or anything, but do people read books, or is it generally listening to music and chatting?

If you can read a book on the bus, more power to you. I think its more of a social experience.
Reply 1831
Original post by Jale
If you can read a book on the bus, more power to you. I think its more of a social experience.

So people mostly talk? Is it noisy inside the bus?
Original post by AlicePM
So people mostly talk? Is it noisy inside the bus?

It's pretty much always 'buzzing' on the bus, not too loud that you can't hear yourself chat, but more than just background noise.
Reply 1833
I'm returning for year 2 in October, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a scooter to go to uni with (125cc ish), because I'll be living in a relatively impractical area of leam (north-east).

Has anyone done this? What's it like with parking on campus with a motorbike/scooter? Any experiences you could share? And any idea where to buy one :colondollar:?
Original post by Welix
I'm returning for year 2 in October, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a scooter to go to uni with (125cc ish), because I'll be living in a relatively impractical area of leam (north-east).

Has anyone done this? What's it like with parking on campus with a motorbike/scooter? Any experiences you could share? And any idea where to buy one :colondollar:?

Parking on campus: Motorbikes/ motorcycles do not currently need a permit to enter the car parks. Dedicated motorcycle parking facilities are available on the ground floors of car parks 7 and 8 and in car park 16. Motorcycles are not permitted to drive or park on the pavement and so they may not use the cycle/ pushbike stands. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/campus-support/carparks/summary/

But I don't know anything else about bikes/scooters :p:
This might sound bizzare but I'm 6 3 and was just wondering how long the beds are as I don't want to have my feet sticking out the bed :P.
Reply 1836
Original post by soledaled
This might sound bizzare but I'm 6 3 and was just wondering how long the beds are as I don't want to have my feet sticking out the bed :P.

I think the beds are 1.90m long (in Heronbank at least). 6ft3in is about that. Might get a bit tight
Reply 1837

I know someone who is quite tall and I think they offered to replace his bed with a longer one, so there's always that option if your bed is too short.
Reply 1838
Original post by Welix

Yup I got a motorbike, 125. I would recommend the bike over the scooter, because of the speed considerations. If you are looking to buy new, Frettons in Leamington are a decent suzuki dealer that are really helpful with repairs etc. Otherwise there are plenty of second hand dealers in Coventry.

Parking on campus is a breeze. There's typically space outside the main science building/library, down by Rootes building and up at University house. None of it is covered. You don't have to pay, and really can park most places.

Roads are not great. On a 125 you will find the A46 terrifying, because you will not be able to keep speed unless you are on something that is ridiculously lightweight. Via stoneleigh is probably the best way, but thats a 50mph road thats pretty twisty, so if you are a learner you will probably annoy a lot of other drivers (screw em). Theres a really nice road going from Campus to Leam, but you can't access it on the other way.

Its effectively useless as soon as it snows though. Not worth the risk.
Reply 1839
Original post by Jale
Parking on campus is a breeze. There's typically space outside the main science building/library, down by Rootes building and up at University house. None of it is covered. You don't have to pay, and really can park most places.

Please tell me this applies to cars as well :colondollar:

Or will I just have to bite the bullet and purchase one of those scratch-off passes?

Quick Reply

Latest