The Student Room Group

Economics vs Economics and Philosophy

Which also turns out to be Manchester (Economics BA) versus Leeds (Economics and Philosophy BA).

I simply cannot decide. I know that I would prefer life at Leeds as the university style (campus) appeals to me more, and there is a lively student vibe at both places but I am not entirely sure that an Economics and Philosophy course is rated in the graduate world.

If I went to Manchester I would arguably combine Economics with Politics (although still officially call the degree Economics BA, such is the flexibility of the course).

Also, as it happens I have a lower offer for Leeds than I do for Manchester, so either way I would end up putting Leeds on reserve.

So, what do people think of Economics and Philosophy? Is Manchester ultimatley more prestigious than Leeds? Am I throwing a better career down the pan if I choose Leeds as a first?

All advice is welcomed!
Reply 1
If you want to study philosophy for its own intrinsic value to you then do so. Although philosophy teaches you some very valuable critical analysis its career worth is limited and therefore i would say pure economics is the more sensible option
I'd say things are pretty much similar either way. They're both basically equal for Economics and Philosophy, reputation-wise. Taking the uni as a whole, I'd say Manchester has the upper edge, but not by a great deal.

Ultimately, pick the course you'd enjoy the most and the university you'd enjoy being at the most.
Reply 3
sil3nt_cha0s
I'd say things are pretty much similar either way. They're both basically equal for Economics and Philosophy, reputation-wise. Taking the uni as a whole, I'd say Manchester has the upper edge, but not by a great deal.

Ultimately, pick the course you'd enjoy the most and the university you'd enjoy being at the most.

Ultimately maximize your utility function by considering your university choices subject to your preference constraints.
Well isn't Manchester's Ba called Economics & Social studies, so really its between that and Economics & Philosophy. Personally i would just with the course i think id enjoy most, look at the modules for year 1-3 and choose accordingly.

Latest

Trending

Trending