The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

um, it's normal... I'm sure majority of people with ear piercings got them done when they were younger :smile: Don't know why being a doctor would prevent you from wearing small earrings whilst at work...
So long as they're not especially long or dangly.

EDIT: Or likely to fall out during surgery :rofl:
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for telling me:smile:
I will be a medic in a month.
My parents (my father is a doctor) say....

Don't
+dye my hair +wear manicure +wear nailtips
+pierce my ears blah blah blah

They say no matter how another students are like, I shouldn't follow them.Well I understand the reason why I shouldn't wear nailtips/manicures.The germs could creep into between the nail and the nailtips during experiment,maybe.(?) The hands should look as they are because they are conspicuous and I have to treat dying people with that hands.(?)

I'm on holiday now,but they had histerics yesterday when finidng my wearning red manicures.("mental posture to be a medic is important!"...)They are so rigid and they have always made me behave conservatively whole my life.I am sure if I pierce my ear they go beyond hysterics.(But I'll do tomorrow.)

I believe small pierced earings won't do anybody harm.If I remove them the halls are not so visible so I can remove them when attending lessons in hospitals.

I just wanted to listen to how another countries' situations were like :smile:
(Of course some parents are generous in my country.My parents are just too rigid.)

Thanks again!
Sounds like your parents exert what we in the Western World would call an unacceptable amount of control. I assume given this strong adherence to parental dominion that you are Asian?
Yes, a pair of stud (also called sleeper) earrings are acceptable and don't look unprofessional!
Tell your parents to stfu and get with the times. People in my year have their noses/lips/tongues/eyebrows pierced and have never been told off by any doctors/other medical professionals/patients.

Course it could be different when you actually qualify but I had my bloods done a while ago by a nurse with punky dreadlocks, tattoos and several piercings, in a town where almost everyone has grey hair and a walking stick, and it was fine because she's lovely.
Sinley
Thanks a lot for telling me:smile:
I will be a medic in a month.
My parents (my father is a doctor) say....

Don't
+dye my hair +wear manicure +wear nailtips
+pierce my ears blah blah blah

They say no matter how another students are like, I shouldn't follow them.Well I understand the reason why I shouldn't wear nailtips/manicures.The germs could creep into between the nail and the nailtips during experiment,maybe.(?) The hands should look as they are because they are conspicuous and I have to treat dying people with that hands.(?)

I'm on holiday now,but they had histerics yesterday when finidng my wearning red manicures.("mental posture to be a medic is important!"...)They are so rigid and they have always made me behave conservatively whole my life.I am sure if I pierce my ear they go beyond hysterics.(But I'll do tomorrow.)

I believe small pierced earings won't do anybody harm.If I remove them the halls are not so visible so I can remove them when attending lessons in hospitals.

I just wanted to listen to how another countries' situations were like :smile:
(Of course some parents are generous in my country.My parents are just too rigid.)

Thanks again!

wtf piercing your a girl!!!!!!!!

secondly no offense but it feels like your going into medicine because of what looks like parental pressure just an assumption, and i aint attacking you my dads a doc 2 :biggrin: just seems abit like everythings their decision including your career
i think they're just trying to help you, and have your best interests in mind. but at the middle of the issue the answer is that it's fine for UK doctors to have pierced ears. I mean most of the NHS smoke, what sort of message is THAT giving!!
Reply 9
thanks everyone! Yes,I am Asian.I'm Japanese.

Well,I don't intend to wear stud. I just want to wear the tiny shining ones.

and about my choosing this career....what I HATE most is to be said ..."You choose this career just because your father is a doctor.":P but everyone who knows my father's job says so and I feel it is a kind of insult,to tell the truth.

I was aiming to enroll veterinary school till 7months before my entrance exam;I was aiming to be a vet for one-third of my life.Becoming medic was beside the question.I got interested in the idea of 3R of vivisection when I was grade 8.Since then I wanted to develop new methods relating to 3R as a veterynary school educated scientist.I believed I was able to be a person who save animlas' life not only the happy ones in cosy homes but also the unhappy ones in labos. But suddenly,out of the blue, I knew a vet who was knowledgeable about such stuff and we talked about it.

She said "Vets are not animal doctors. never.Vets are human doctors who make use of animals for humans' profits."She said there were too many jobs for vets to KILL animlas in Japan. Killing jobs overwhelm saving-life jobs in Japan for vets.

I hear you can graduate veterinary school with the smallest victims in the UK (,US,and in Australia.).You can choose alternative methods to be a vet.But in Japan it is not common and almost impossible.Japanese vet aspiring students have to kill animals for experiments whose results are already on course books. It is very strange to kill animals (for such rubbish experiment) to be a vet who is considered to be a person who saves animals' life.so do medics.We want to save life but why "only humans"??No matter how subtle it may be if there's possiblity to do reserch without killing, we should pursue it. Though I know I have to do vivisection someday.I would kill millions of mice in the future and my sense could be paralysed. D:

I also hear people who is working to develop 3R methods relating things are often non-vets,and many of them are chemists/doctors/scientists etc...

After talking with her and reading her website for naive-vet-aspiring-students I decided to be a medic,not a vet.It was a very difficult decision.So actually my goal is to be a scientist,not a doctor...at present.So I hate people who call me followsuit.They know nothing about me.At the same time I also hate people who seriously say..."Doctors earn a lot more than vets.You made a good choice." "You will be a rich girl so I have to cherish you!" .

PS In EU animal experiments for cosmetics has already banned. but not in Japan. That wave couldn't reach Japan.
Sinley
PS In EU animal experiments for cosmetics has already banned. but not in Japan. That wave couldn't reach Japan.

Really?
Reply 11
Phalanges
Really?

Yes, not all of them but almost all of them.
I cannot remember to the details so you can google it.:smile:

I'm not so optimistic to think that we can abolish ALL animal experiments and I know some of them cannot be replaced but something which can be replaced should be done so.

PS
The movie was so interesting....
Sinley

After talking with her and reading her website for naive-vet-aspiring-students I decided to be a medic,not a vet.It was a very difficult decision.So actually my goal is to be a scientist,not a doctor...at present.So I hate people who call me followsuit.They know nothing about me.At the same time I also hate people who seriously say..."Doctors earn a lot more than vets.You made a good choice." "You will be a rich girl so I have to cherish you!" .

So, You wanted to be a vet to help sick animals, then a vet told you that you will have to do some unpleasant things, and now you instead want to be a doctor... But you don't really want to be a doctor, you want to be a scientist with a medical degree?

During your work experience with vets, was your experience a positive one?
Reply 13
Chilledice
So, You wanted to be a vet to help sick animals, then a vet told you that you will have to do some unpleasant things, and now you instead want to be a doctor... But you don't really want to be a doctor, you want to be a scientist with a medical degree?

During your work experience with vets, was your experience a positive one?

my work experience? I haven't worked with the vet ....??? Yes right now I want to be a scientist with a medical degree. Developing alternatives can do both humans and animals good. Humans and animals except humans are different. The responsiveness for a chemical substance can be very different. To acquire more acculate data for humans from experiments - 3R is also effective in that meaning. Of course my dream could change in the future, but right now it is my dream.

and I am not sure whether I am REALLY happy or not to be a medic.When deciding to choose my course;medic or vet,I dwelled again and again.I was not sure whether I could do well to treat life.still I am not sure. I may not be able to do well to treat life. Another reason ( which turned out after passing the entrance exam) is that my parents got more rigid by my choosing to be a medic. I was not allowed to do what I wanted to do whole my junior high/high school days.I suppressed myself for such a long time. I understand their prohibition to some extent,and actually my school had rules,so...it may have been ok. and I believed I was able to do whatever I liked after entering university so I was able to endure.but see what is happening now.He said if I pierced my ears he forced me to quit uni. I shouldn't have asked even in the subjunctive mood.

It is a long story and I am quite unhappy about being raised like this.
Reply 14
I'm sorry to grumble. I will try to live happily as much as possible even under such lovely parents.and I will try to be a good medic as much as possible. thankyou anyway:smile:
Sinley
my work experience? I haven't worked with the vet ....??? Yes right now I want to be a scientist with a medical degree. Developing alternatives can do both humans and animals good. Humans and animals except humans are different. The responsiveness for a chemical substance can be very different. To acquire more acculate data for humans from experiments - 3R is also effective in that meaning. Of course my dream could change in the future, but right now it is my dream.

and I am not sure whether I am REALLY happy or not to be a medic.When deciding to choose my course;medic or vet,I dwelled again and again.I was not sure whether I could do well to treat life.still I am not sure. I may not be able to do well to treat life. Another reason ( which turned out after passing the entrance exam) is that my parents got more rigid by my choosing to be a medic. I was not allowed to do what I wanted to do whole my junior high/high school days.I suppressed myself for such a long time. I understand their prohibition to some extent,and actually my school had rules,so...it may have been ok. and I believed I was able to do whatever I liked after entering university so I was able to endure.but see what is happening now.He said if I pierced my ears he forced me to quit uni. I shouldn't have asked even in the subjunctive mood.

It is a long story and I am quite unhappy about being raised like this.

Why not just do a science degree? Like molecular biology, medical science or biomedical science?

Then go into research? since you actually don't want to treat people, why waste the time doing the clinical years of the medicine degree?
A medical degree does not mean you have to be a doctor. It's perfectly acceptable to complete one and then go into research, and someone shouldn't have to justify that decision anymore than someone should have to justify becoming a doctor from their medical degree.
Reply 17
In answer to the original question - I have 6 piercings in my ears and have had no problems, there are very few girls here without at least 1 set of earrings and there are some with nose/tongue piercings as well. Hair dye wise, I play around with my hair colour a bit and there are plenty of girls with dyed hair, you just have to be sensible with colour (e.g. no purple/blue/pink on placement!)
I think we are forgetting the cultural differences between Japan and the UK Hygeia. Only fifty years ago I suspect multiple piercings in ears would have been frowned upon, even in the supposedly 'non-judgemental' medical fraternity. On another note, do you put three bits of metal in each of your ears?
Reply 19
Single Malt
I think we are forgetting the cultural differences between Japan and the UK Hygeia. Only fifty years ago I suspect multiple piercings in ears would have been frowned upon, even in the supposedly 'non-judgemental' medical fraternity. On another note, do you put three bits of metal in each of your ears?

Nope, I wasn't forgetting, I was literally just answering her question in the first post "Is it common for the doctors in the UK to wear pierced earings?" - using my year group as an example considering the majority of the girls in my year will end up being doctors.

Yep, 3 earrings in each ear, but assymetrical.

Latest

Trending

Trending