The Student Room Group

Unreachable offer from uni, any ideas?

Hi, basically as the above says really. I am a mature student and have applied to study Biomedical science.
I recieved an offer which would be okay if it werent for the fact they require me to get a C in GCSE English, which I dont have (only ever managed a D) I am not studying it, and made no mention in my application of doing so.
I realise that it is competitive for all courses atm and it is actually my only offer so I would like to accept it, but have no idea what to do apart from contact the uni which I have tried to do but no luck yet, so does anyone have any other ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Just do the GCSE English and get a C.

If you're capable of doing a degree, you're obviously capable of getting a C in it.
Reply 2
do gcse english?
sounds obvious really. most uni's want a C in maths and english and some in science gcse too.
It's a really vital qualification in life and it shows you are adequate in your ability as a person.
However I got a D in french gcse so I cant really talk
If you can't achieve the average in GCSE English, how will you cope with your degree?
Reply 4
Maslover
Hi, basically as the above says really. I am a mature student and have applied to study Biomedical science.
I recieved an offer which would be okay if it werent for the fact they require me to get a C in GCSE English, which I dont have (only ever managed a D) I am not studying it, and made no mention in my application of doing so.
I realise that it is competitive for all courses atm and it is actually my only offer so I would like to accept it, but have no idea what to do apart from contact the uni which I have tried to do but no luck yet, so does anyone have any other ideas?

Your best bet is to see if you can get a late entry as a private candidate somewhere- its worth asking if they would accept Key Skills Level 2 instead as that would avoid the hassle of coursework at this late stage, and find somewhere you can take it. If you can't take it this year you'll probally find you have to take a gap year and reapply next year when you can retake it.
They asked you to get that as its a standard requirement of all universities. someone else on here asked a uni (De Montfort) if they would accept him without the GCSE or equivalent and they said they had never accepted anyone who hadn't achieved Level 2 (GCSE standard) in English.
Reply 5
Maybe I havent made myself clear, but I will be a mature student, I would have no problem sitting an English GCSE if there were any to be sat at this time, only fast track I can find take 6 months, and started January.
I am absolutely capable of doing a degree, just didnt enjoy school at all for various reasons and for some reason cant seem to pass English, but recently have become more focused. I have been before, (studying a different topic) but had to pull out unfortunately for something that was entirely unrelated, despite doing extremely well in all units I took.

I will meet the points tariff unless something utterly disastrous happens, guess I am just annoyed that being a mature student I was lead to believe GCSEs especially will more likely be glossed over and yet it wasn't.
Reply 6
surely the uni know that you only have a D and are not studying it
id stick with phoning them if its your only offer and you want to go have a chat
Maslover
I was lead to believe GCSEs especially will more likely be glossed over and yet it wasn't.

You were mislead, then, as GCSEs at grade C or above (or the equivalent) are generally required by all universities. It represents a basic level of numeracy and literacy for those intending to study at degree level in English.
Reply 8
jelly1000
Your best bet is to see if you can get a late entry as a private candidate somewhere- its worth asking if they would accept Key Skills Level 2 instead as that would avoid the hassle of coursework at this late stage, and find somewhere you can take it. If you can't take it this year you'll probally find you have to take a gap year and reapply next year when you can retake it.
They asked you to get that as its a standard requirement of all universities. someone else on here asked a uni (De Montfort) if they would accept him without the GCSE or equivalent and they said they had never accepted anyone who hadn't achieved Level 2 (GCSE standard) in English.

Cheers for the help I hadn't even thought of Key Skills Level 2, in fact don't think I have ever heard of it to be honest. I shall look into that, thanks.
Reply 9
Maslover
Maybe I havent made myself clear, but I will be a mature student, I would have no problem sitting an English GCSE if there were any to be sat at this time, only fast track I can find take 6 months, and started January.
I am absolutely capable of doing a degree, just didnt enjoy school at all for various reasons and for some reason cant seem to pass English, but recently have become more focused. I have been before, (studying a different topic) but had to pull out unfortunately for something that was entirely unrelated, despite doing extremely well in all units I took.

I will meet the points tariff unless something utterly disastrous happens, guess I am just annoyed that being a mature student I was lead to believe GCSEs especially will more likely be glossed over and yet it wasn't.

The problem is, mature student or not you still need your C in English as this proves your proficiency in the English language. As a mature student the unis probally wouldn't care too much about you getting an E in History or whatever, but English will always matter (especially when applying for jobs, I'm suprised you haven't had that problem yet.)
Reply 10
A friend of mine had to have a C in GCSE maths for college but failed it, so they allowed him to take it alongside his A-Levels. I doubt it is, but does anyone know if this is possible at university?
FrancesO
A friend of mine had to have a C in GCSE maths for college but failed it, so they allowed him to take it alongside his A-Levels. I doubt it is, but does anyone know if this is possible at university?

No, if you need the C for university, you have to have achieved it by the 31st of August in the cycle you have applied. I.e. if you wanted to start uni this September, you would have to fulfill all requirements, including Maths GCSE Grade C by August 31st 2010.
Reply 12
jelly1000
No, if you need the C for university, you have to have achieved it by the 31st of August in the cycle you have applied. I.e. if you wanted to start uni this September, you would have to fulfill all requirements, including Maths GCSE Grade C by August 31st 2010.

Damn, was worth a try.

I think it's pretty difficult to get entered as a private candidate for anything that has coursework, OP - my boyfriend, who's doing his A-Levels independently, just got told a flat no when he tried to apply for one that wasn't just exams - but if you don't mind doing self study, ring around your local centres and see what they offer. There might be one that doesn't have coursework, or a more lenient centre.
That's a bit unfair of them to demand it now. But at the same time you probably should have known to check, it's well known almost all unis want GCSE English C or above for any course.
First contact the university. a D might be enough, or they may say that a Key Skills certificate will suffice - you can get these easily; there are places near me which run week-long courses for Level 1 Key Skills in like 5 different areas, and everyone passed them.

If you can't find a learning environment which runs shorter courses, then register with the exam board independently. Coursework deadlines will be coming up soon I would have thought so it would be best to get onto this ASAP no matter how you plan on going at it. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to get a C or above in it if you have between now and say June, when your GCSE exam would be.

Alternatively, contact your local schools/colleges and ask about registering as a late entrant and ask about turning up to lessons/lectures and studying at home and take all the advice they have to offer.
Reply 15
tbh its prob just a mail merge letter/offer, I bet they wouldnt be bothered.
Keep up with the attempts to contact them. It does strike me as odd that they should offer you something knowing that you were not resitting and could not meet the offer. It sounds like a mistake on their part (which may have a positive or negative outcome).
Reply 17
Enquire about sitting english IGCSE as a private candidate - there is no coursework, it's 100% exam based.

You could do it here for example.
Reply 18
Your local Learn Direct centre will do adult literacy courses, which may be free. Depending on which level you achieve the uni may accept it instead of the GCSE. And the amount it takes varies with how good you are, so if you just need to take the exam you can do.
Reply 19
Just take a TOEFL test or something. Shouldn't be too bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending