The Student Room Group

English/Maths needed?

I've heard taking an English/Maths A level is looked upon as good for University and your'll have more chance gaining a place if you have one, however is this entirely true? Or can you have 3 good grades in other subjects and still be a good candidate.

The reason for asking is i've decided on subject's i'd like to study but would consider studying English Language if it gained me better prospects for Uni' :yep:. Would just like to know if this would really help me in the long run.
You need a GCSE grade at C or above in English language & mathematics for most universities. Literature is usually regarded more highly than language. Maths - well, it opens a lot of doors to you if you're capable of doing it. Really I don't think it matters as long as you get three good grades...
Reply 2
maths would definately help, not sure bout english tho. whats your other subjects and what you doing hoping to do at uni?
Reply 3
What do you want to study at university?
Elaiine
I've heard taking an English/Maths A level is looked upon as good for University and your'll have more chance gaining a place if you have one, however is this entirely true? Or can you have 3 good grades in other subjects and still be a good candidate.

The reason for asking is i've decided on subject's i'd like to study but would consider studying English Language if it gained me better prospects for Uni' :yep:. Would just like to know if this would really help me in the long run.

English Language isn't regarded as a hard subject, however English Lit and Maths are. Three good A levels in other subjects would be better than mediocre grades in "hard" subjects. It depends on what you want to do at uni, where you want to go etc.
Reply 5
I'd like to study Psychology or something similar, and the subject's I have in mind are Psychology, Sociology and Biology. I have a GCSE A grade in English Language, B in Maths and B in Lit'.
Reply 6
do english then since if you got a B in maths you're not very good at it (no offence but GCSE maths is REALLY easy). I know people who got an A* in maths GCSE and got a D in AS maths
English and Maths, like sciences helps to keep some doors open for subjects that require them. Doing English Literature is advisable not langauge.
Maths is always helpful but not necessary for all courses.
It depends what you want to do and what grades you aim for. Otherwise, Maths and English Lit are pretty solid subjects on the whole, for getting into University.
It depends what the three subjects are.
Reply 9
Elaiine
I'd like to study Psychology or something similar, and the subject's I have in mind are Psychology, Sociology and Biology. I have a GCSE A grade in English Language, B in Maths and B in Lit'.

Maths will be more helpful for psychology.
The units in statistics particularly. (Y)
Reply 10
I would say do Maths for Biology - I didn't do it and got in to Biology easily enough, but to be honest you need it for the course, and especially if you decide to go into research afterwards. I am doing it now because I am starting a PhD where I think I will need to know more maths than I do.

I didn't do English and that has never been a problem.

Latest