The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's horrible.
Just get the 600 questions one, it's the best one out there. You don't need any of the others.
Reply 2
Are you preparing already? :O
Unknown?
Has anyone else bought this following book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Pass-UKCAT-Unbeatable-Practice/dp/0749453338/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267994903&sr=8-2

I'm only up to the first section which is verbal reasoning but I think it is horrible. The excuses they have for the answers at the back page suck. Am I just bad at this or has anyone else bought this book and not like it. :woo:

I'd been looking at buying one recently, and I remember the 600 questions one someone else mentioned being good (haven't bought it but the reviews were good on amazon) and another one. If you type in "UKCAT" and books, then bestselling first, the one with loads of positive reviews should be good.
that one is ****...get the 600 question one....its about the same price and is much much better....

or you could always start doing 11+/13+ exams as that is what the UKCAT essentially is...
Reply 5
dental0001
Are you preparing already? :O

Might as well lol. Even if it just puts my nerves at ease. I think I will just buy the 600 UKCAT book, it seems to have more favourable reviews than this toilet paper. :woo:
Reply 6
Yes, agreed. The 600Q UKCAT book is far superior. Many more questions for a start. The book you mention has loads of questions that are useless (i.e. not in the right format, or which relate to the 5th test, which is not actually used for selection purposes. Plus it has loads of errors. So, all you need is the 600Q book and you will be alright.
Does anyone know when the ukcat exam is this year? (If I was to apply for medicine for 2010 entry)?
SweetsAndSugar
Does anyone know when the ukcat exam is this year? (If I was to apply for medicine for 2010 entry)?

Do you mean 2011? The UKCAT had to be sat before october 2009 for 2010 entry. And it isn't on one day, you book it then sit it individually at the driving theory test centre place.
Reply 9
SweetsAndSugar

Normally registration is in may and the exam from early july to early october. You can take it at any time in that period.
rudyrabbit
Normally registration is in may and the exam from early july to early october. You can take it at any time in that period.

Are resits possible? Say if I take it in July, can I retake later on if I decide to without unis knowing, or not?
Nope, you can only sit it once.
SweetsAndSugar
Are resits possible? Say if I take it in July, can I retake later on if I decide to without unis knowing, or not?

No. And there is an extensive registration process so you can't 'do it without the unis finding out'
Reply 13
Unknown?
Might as well lol. Even if it just puts my nerves at ease. I think I will just buy the 600 UKCAT book, it seems to have more favourable reviews than this toilet paper. :woo:

Do you not have like....As levels to revise for? :lolwut:
Don't you get to a point where you just can't do any more and then it's all down to just you and how you think...to be honest, over preparing can = flop...happened in my c2 exam. :yep: :rolleyes:
But good on you for starting early. :smile:
Reply 14
the quantitative reasoning in the 600 ukcat book was soooo much harder then the qs i got in the exam. The ones in the book were virtually impossible to do in the time limit you have. The qs in the exam arent too hard, its just the time you have is so limited. But the 600 UKCAT book is the best
Preparing a couple of weeks before is ample time.

I prepared a few days before and that was grand.
Reply 16
Lol I prepared over a month before the actual exam and came out Ok.
Seriously people, focus on AS exams. Sure have a flick-through but don't spend hours on UKCAT practice when you could be revising for AS.
Reply 17
The 600Q one sucks as well, the questions are way too hard/don't really represent what the test is like, especially the picture matching things.
Going to throw a curveball here...you guys actually revise for UKCAT!? Last time I checked, it was an aptitude test...the only aid I used to revise for it was Dr Kawashima's Brain Training on the DS! :smile: Would recommend training your brain to work more quickly and improving your general aptitude (e.g. practising mental arithmatic, reading extracts from classic novels). It helped me and I did alright :smile:
Reply 19
u dont really revise for it, you practise so you can be familiar with the qs and time limit

Latest

Trending

Trending