The Student Room Group

A level physics

I am revising for a level physics and wondering whether to use the ocr textbook which is 600 pages or if the 200 page cgp revision book will be enough to get an A/A*? Does anyone know if the cgp books have enough content to get a high grade?
I didn’t do physics but did Chem and bio with ocr. On the CGP books it literally says ‘all you need to pass your exams’ and I found it to be a lot more simplistic than the actual textbook. I personally used CGP books mainly for understanding more difficult concepts, and I made flash cards based on the content in the textbooks. It got me A*s in both. I’d be wary about using the CGP books exclusively, but I can’t actually say for sure that you can’t get top grades with them
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
I didn’t do physics but did Chem and bio with ocr. On the CGP books it literally says ‘all you need to pass your exams’ and I found it to be a lot more simplistic than the actual textbook. I personally used CGP books mainly for understanding more difficult concepts, and I made flash cards based on the content in the textbooks. It got me A*s in both. I’d be wary about using the CGP books exclusively, but I can’t actually say for sure that you can’t get top grades with them

Okay thanks I think I’ll use the textbook
Original post by jdiewjdiejfi
I am revising for a level physics and wondering whether to use the ocr textbook which is 600 pages or if the 200 page cgp revision book will be enough to get an A/A*? Does anyone know if the cgp books have enough content to get a high grade?

(i’m in year 13 studying physics)
one thing i will say is that the a level textbooks always give you too much information (unnecessary for the exam) and they tell you stuff they’ll never ask in the exams so i would recommend using websites like physicsandmathstutor and savemyexams instead - they give you the facts you actually need. I have a predicted A* and generally get 90s in exams in school and have basically never opened my textbook.

also just doing lots of past paper practice so you can see the style of questions - they often repeat questions every year so you can see what things they tend to ask and memorise the markschemes for those
Reply 4
Original post by cookiecat13
one thing i will say is that the a level textbooks always give you too much information (unnecessary for the exam) and they tell you stuff they’ll never ask in the exams so i would recommend using websites like physicsandmathstutor and savemyexams instead - they give you the facts you actually need. I have a predicted A* and generally get 90s in exams in school and have basically never opened my textbook.

also just doing lots of past paper practice so you can see the style of questions - they often repeat questions every year so you can see what things they tend to ask and memorise the markschemes for those

Thanks yeah, I did look on pmt but lots of the notes seemed to talk about stuff we didn’t need and in too much detail, my plan was just going to be learn the textbook then answer topic questions, but was wondering whether to learn the content from textbook or revision guide but I might use pmt notes then?
Reply 5

How would you recommend revising/learning content?

Thanks yeah, I did look on pmt but lots of the notes seemed to talk about stuff we didn’t need and in too much detail, my plan was just going to be learn the textbook then answer topic questions, but was wondering whether to learn the content from textbook or revision guide but I might use pmt notes then?

i mean for me the textbook contained much more unnecessary stuff than pmt (i do edexcel tho so might be different) but it’s rlly up to you in the end

i mean for me i just use a combination of things - my notes from class, pmt and savemyexams - make my own condense notes for each topic (what i ACTUALLY need to memorise) then do loads of past paper questions - the a level is such a markscheme memorisation process the only ways you can get top marks is if you do past papers which kinda annoying
Reply 8

i mean for me i just use a combination of things - my notes from class, pmt and savemyexams - make my own condense notes for each topic (what i ACTUALLY need to memorise) then do loads of past paper questions - the a level is such a markscheme memorisation process the only ways you can get top marks is if you do past papers which kinda annoying
Okay thank !! I think I’ll use pmt to get my notes as it seems the most concise and I’m doing ocr so maybe slightly different. Do you think pmt has enough content tho?
Reply 9

Okay thank you!! I think I’ll use pmt as it has the most concise notes I just want to make sure it has enough content? Do u think it does?

Okay thank you!! I think I’ll use pmt as it has the most concise notes I just want to make sure it has enough content? Do u think it does?

i agree that there are a few areas they don’t touch on as much as they should that’s why i usually use sme to compare and fill in the gaps but sme often has a lot of just… unnecessary words so i mostly base my notes off pmt - and i agree from before that i think cgp is good for concepts id sometimes use it just to understand more complex stuff especially in further maths and whatever but i wouldn’t base ur notes for physics from their books :smile:
Reply 11

i agree that there are a few areas they don’t touch on as much as they should that’s why i usually use sme to compare and fill in the gaps but sme often has a lot of just… unnecessary words so i mostly base my notes off pmt - and i agree from before that i think cgp is good for concepts id sometimes use it just to understand more complex stuff especially in further maths and whatever but i wouldn’t base ur notes for physics from their books :smile:
Okay thank you so much!!!!! Good luck for you exams!!

Okay thank you so much!!!!! Good luck for you exams!!

you too!

Quick Reply

Latest