The Student Room Group

Sweating during exercise

Two years ago, I put on about 20lbs in less than a year, mostly fat, as I was eating at fast food restaurants all the time, and drinking beer all the time and not getting much exercise apart from the occasional basketball match or workout.

Anyway, since then, I've been sweating like a pig whenever I do any sports. Not sure if it's totally related to the weight gain. I know that overweight people sweat more but I sweat like I weighed 20 stone. :eek:

Should I be worried? :confused:
Reply 1
It doesn't sound too worrying. Don't sweat...
I sweat like a pig too, and I'm not that heavy. Of course, it's about 38 degrees celsius right now... so, that could be a factor. Also, as the summer goes by, if you exercise consistently, your sweat gets less salty and the quantity increases. It's an adaptation to keep you from losing minerals while keeping you cool. I sweat about a gallon of pure water whenever I play basketball or ultimate.

Sweats healthy, don't worry, unless you're sitting still in a cool room.

Also, are there many good places to play basketball in London? I'm going to UCl and this has concerned me. Pm me if you want to keep this thread on topic.
Reply 3
SirPimpsALittle
I sweat like a pig too, and I'm not that heavy. Of course, it's about 38 degrees celsius right now... so, that could be a factor. Also, as the summer goes by, if you exercise consistently, your sweat gets less salty and the quantity increases. It's an adaptation to keep you from losing minerals while keeping you cool. I sweat about a gallon of pure water whenever I play basketball or ultimate.

Sweats healthy, don't worry, unless you're sitting still in a cool room.

Also, are there many good places to play basketball in London? I'm going to UCl and this has concerned me. Pm me if you want to keep this thread on topic.

I don't play basketball any longer although I'm always tempted to go shoot some hoops with the kids on the estate next to my residence but as they're like 14, that might be weird. Ultimate? lol that's definitely very American. I don't know about basketball courts in London. Outside ones aren't that hard to find but indoor ones, I don't know. I'm not even sure if my uni has one.

As for the temperature, it's not particularly hot here.
Reply 4
I only sweat when I've been exercising or playing sports a lot. I guess different people sweat in different amounts. My cousin just sweats on his nose lol he gets loads of beads of sweat, just on his nose. He's such a freak :P

However, I am physically quite fit, in shape and maybe that's why I don't sweat loads, unless of course it's warranted. But if you're in shape too then I dunno...could be somethin to do with your pores.
Reply 5
Nope, the fact I'm not that fit any longer might explain things... but I'm not THAT unfit. As I said, I put on a lot of weight in the past but I'm still far from fat (I weight 12.5 stones for 6ft). I can still run a few miles without dying at the end.
Reply 6
SamTheMan
Ultimate? lol that's definitely very American. I don't know about basketball courts in London. Outside ones aren't that hard to find but indoor ones, I don't know. I'm not even sure if my uni has one.

Hehe, my friend's just roped me in to play in a beginners' ultimate tournament at Southampton uni in October. That's going to be hilarious!

Re. basketball courts - a lot of sports halls have them included in the 7 billion sets of lines they have painted.

Re. sweating - I don't think you should worry if it's only when exercising - just make sure you keep yourself hydrated with iso/hypotonic fluids.
Reply 7
Just do some regular jogs about 3 times a week say, and you'll get used to the exercise and the sweating should die down. I used to get really red hot whenever I did things like football, but jogging has stopped that.
Reply 8
Yes, sweating is bad news, you're probably going to die of something related to sweating too much.

Seriously, do you sit down and think of stupid questions to ask?
Reply 9
imasillynarb
Yes, sweating is bad news, you're probably going to die of something related to sweating too much.

Seriously, do you sit down and think of stupid questions to ask?

Thanks for your support :rolleyes:
Play football for frigs sake, **** this b.ball ****.

Sweating is good, it usually means to me that I am running the drink out of me lol. So whaever applies. Just spray loads of lynx.

SPRAY MORE = GET MORE.

ya no.
Reply 11
Woodsy
Play football for frigs sake, **** this b.ball ****.

Sweating is good, it usually means to me that I am running the drink out of me lol. So whaever applies. Just spray loads of lynx.

SPRAY MORE = GET MORE.

ya no.

right... Um usually before spraying lynx, I have a shower :p:
The only point was that I sweat a lot more than before. I'm not even tired and I'm sweating like a pig. Nevermind... I don't know why I started this thread. I'm hardly getting any useful info.

And unfortunately I'm absolute **** at football and always have been and never liked the sport. Plus finding another 21 players to play a match that can be considered a workout is not easy.
Reply 12
SamTheMan
I don't know why I started this thread. I'm hardly getting any useful info.

Well what exactly were you hoping for people to say?
Reply 13
SamTheMan
I don't know why I started this thread. I'm hardly getting any useful info.

It's not like you're the most helpful user in H&R...
Reply 14
SamTheMan
Two years ago, I put on about 20lbs in less than a year, mostly fat, as I was eating at fast food restaurants all the time, and drinking beer all the time and not getting much exercise apart from the occasional basketball match or workout.

Anyway, since then, I've been sweating like a pig whenever I do any sports. Not sure if it's totally related to the weight gain. I know that overweight people sweat more but I sweat like I weighed 20 stone. :eek:

Should I be worried? :confused:

Actually if you eat a lot of meat, supposedly you sweat more, and stinkier sweat too. But it's probably because if you have more fat it's more difficult for you to cool down as it insulates your body.

Thus when you exercise, you sweat more to compensate.
Reply 15
Helenia
Hehe, my friend's just roped me in to play in a beginners' ultimate tournament at Southampton uni in October. That's going to be hilarious!

Re. basketball courts - a lot of sports halls have them included in the 7 billion sets of lines they have painted.

Re. sweating - I don't think you should worry if it's only when exercising - just make sure you keep yourself hydrated with iso/hypotonic fluids.

My friend is captain, I think, of the ultimate team at Soton :biggrin: He keeps trying to get me to play but so far resisted.

I don't think sweating is a prob as Helenia said if you keep hydrated. It is very hot out now, and some people do just sweat a lot. It's the bodys natural cooling mechanism so it's better that it's doing that rather than stopping you cooling down.

I read somewhere you can produce 12 litres of sweat in 24hours or something.
Reply 16
12 litres? Maybe if you were doing an ironman for 24 hours, not sitting about doing bugger all.
Reply 17
Fyska
It's not like you're the most helpful user in H&R...

more helpful than some, who talk out of their bum, that's for sure.

on a lighter note, it feels like I sweat 3 litres today.
Reply 18
Urgh, you greasy bugger :puke:

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending