The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
actually the pirate look is meant to be in fashion, as is the sailor look so it might be easy to get away with! lol
canvas shoes are really nice. Loose but not baggy jeans. Erm, logo t-shirts might be a good start. That is if you want to dress casual.
Reply 42
may i suggest this websit as a starting point. You genuinely can't go wrong for ideas:

www.topman.co.uk
Reply 43
sophieD
actually the pirate look is meant to be in fashion, as is the sailor look so it might be easy to get away with! lol

I thought it was only for girls? Why does fashion keep trying to dress girls as boys?
because mens tailoring is fab on women.
anyway this seasons its all about the feminine classy look a la princess grace of monaco
Reply 46
SlyPie
Well I got some nasty comments along with the reps such as "is it because you're at a lower university"..blah blah. Who else besides Oxbridge students would say such things at offense to my signature? I've also gotten some messages as well. It's all in good fun-- I partly think they are arrogant, and partly am doing this because they take such offense to my signature... :evil:

ok, i do think that you're in danger of over-generalising again there. i was the first person to object to your post that said that oxbridge students are all mingers, and i certainly haven't given you negative rep! it could be anyone giving you bad rep for poking fun at not necessarily accurate stereotypes.

also, i might add (and i don't mean to cause any offence by this) that it is a little strange for you to make sweeping generalisations about oxbridge students often based on very tenuous links between intelligence and looks, or intelligence and arrogance, when the college you attend is supposed to be academically stronger. pot, kettle, black?
Reply 47
Right... I go in for "looks" but generally:

Jeans must fit well. A good pair of jeans (Diesel or Levis perhaps) may cost a bit more than your average River Island pair but they will fit, look great and nobody will take offense to them. If you are at all unsure about a pair, ask the store attendent. Especially if it is a woman. Don't be shy, I work in retail and that is what we're paid for.

Shoes... I hate men's shoes. Be careful here, shoes can make or break you. Smart shoes like so: http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/on-sale/mens-shoes-szxt-8192-nap-t2/ (example only, although these are in the sale and are good because they're not too long or pointy).

For general inspiration go to www.urbanoutfitters.com (there is a store in london but doesn't have too much by way of menswear). Especially useful is the 'blazer' section of menswear which shows different blazers and how to wear them. 'Pants' gives you non-jeans options. 'Basics' is a real gem.
Polo shirts (pink is nice)
long sleeved shirts
I think 'suit' jackets are nice.

If you stay away from the all-black outfits (the 'satanic club' in Rundle Mall), tracksuits and football shorts, you should attract a 'classy girl'. And don't wear shiny black shoes with gold buckles!!
Reply 49
buttons7
ok, i do think that you're in danger of over-generalising again there. i was the first person to object to your post that said that oxbridge students are all mingers, and i certainly haven't given you negative rep! it could be anyone giving you bad rep for poking fun at not necessarily accurate stereotypes.

also, i might add (and i don't mean to cause any offence by this) that it is a little strange for you to make sweeping generalisations about oxbridge students often based on very tenuous links between intelligence and looks, or intelligence and arrogance, when the college you attend is supposed to be academically stronger. pot, kettle, black?

Over-generalization, smover-generalization. Nothing ever said can truly 100% represent a population; however many times stereotypes can be true.

I didn't add the bit about my college until later. Prior till, I only had in my signature "Why are Oxbridge students so arrogant? 25% accepted".. which is actually a statistically accurate number given to me by Oxbridge students.

I simply added that bit about my college because I do not want them to think I envy them because that's not my point with my signature.

The point is simply why they look down on other UK universities and adamantly think that they're better than American universities (and much of the time, even Harvard). I simply find that rather pompous, so I decided to start my signature in somewhat of a protest.

However after receiving several of those "oh because you're lower" messages (which number in quite a few), I decided to add that into my signature in order not to give the wrong idea with my signature. My point is not to show that my university is better, but to show that it's not envy that perpetuates my signature, but the simple recognition that yes they do generally in fact think they are better than all other UK universities (unfairly might I add), and much of the time all American universities.

Edit: I've clarified my signature to more accurately depict my point.
Reply 50
what in the name of daffy duck does this have to do with clothes and stuff? oh its slypie causing more controversy :eek figures :rolleyes:
Reply 51
El Chueco
what in the name of daffy duck does this have to do with clothes and stuff? oh its slypie causing more controversy :eek figures :rolleyes:

HEY!! I don't enjoy this eh (sinister snickering)

aw man the internet im stealing now is slow...
Reply 52
SlyPie
HEY!! I don't enjoy this eh (sinister snickering)

oh really :cool:
SlyPie
aw man the internet im stealing now is slow...

then steal faster internet :eek:

edit: and you still not told me who dippy is.... and now its breakfust time :biggrin:
Reply 53
El Chueco
oh really :cool:

then steal faster internet :eek:

edit: and you still not told me who dippy is.... and now its breakfust time :biggrin:

you piggy.. a dippy is like a dipsh*t..and obviously i was referring to you dippy.

As for stealing faster internet, not everyone runs wireless around here!! Wish they did though, i'd have more options
Reply 54
SlyPie
you piggy.. a dippy is like a dipsh*t..and obviously i was referring to you dippy.

why thank-you Bee
SlyPie
As for stealing faster internet, not everyone runs wireless around here!! Wish they did though, i'd have more options

whatever. its because you can't isn't it?
Reply 55
El Chueco
why thank-you Bee

whatever. its because you can't isn't it?

hmmm..i can't what you dip?

Well I can't steal everyone's wireless if they have it secured with a code. But people who aren't computer experts or don't know the basics don't secure it and thus anyone can access their internet.

and don't whatever me..that's soooooo valley girl, california..like oh my god
Reply 56
SlyPie
hmmm..i can't what you dip?

you heard :wink:
SlyPie
Well I can't steal everyone's wireless if they have it secured with a code. But people who aren't computer experts or don't know the basics don't secure it and thus anyone can access their internet.

excuses excuses.
SlyPie
and don't whatever me..that's soooooo valley girl, california..like oh my god

i didnt "what-eveeeeeeeeeer" you. thats wierd. i "wodeva"'d you... subtle difference. ones northern.
Reply 57
El Chueco
you heard :wink:

excuses excuses.

i didnt "what-eveeeeeeeeeer" you. thats wierd. i "wodeva"'d you... subtle difference. ones northern.

haha..we went over this..awerj;klawer is northern..
wodeva is southern

what kind of internet connection do u use?
Reply 58
SlyPie
haha..we went over this..awerj;klawer is northern..

no. thats grunting.
SlyPie
wodeva is southern

you being the expert and all.
SlyPie
what kind of internet connection do u use?

14 kbps modem :rock:
Reply 59
El Chueco
no. thats grunting.

you being the expert and all.

14 kbps modem :rock:

hehe 14kbps eh..is that dial-up or non-existant..(same thing really)

hmmm of course i'm the expert at Southern..because i could understand them.

the northerners grunt? Is that when you're busy dancing like Billy Elliot?

Latest