The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
mrt84
Clothes people! please help!

Bear in mind that I'm only 5'6 and over small to average build.

ahh somewhere i can be of great help. What you'd like my friend and this is chic for Aussie guys at the mo, Polos with the sleeves rolled up, yes the jock look. And jeans. So Polo Ralph Lauren or i was surprised to see cool ones in Jay Jays before i left a few weeks ago. Also Just Jeans will help you out usually with stuff like that.
Reply 61
lacoste polos r good
Reply 62
SlyPie
hehe 14kbps eh..is that dial-up or non-existant..(same thing really)

its like totally dialup (Yer ruddy greyt eggwap)
SlyPie
hmmm of course i'm the expert at Southern..because i could understand them.

southern what? southern comfort?
SlyPie
the northerners grunt? Is that when you're busy dancing like Billy Elliot?

no, we don't grunt when we dance. we smile :smile:
Reply 63
El Chueco
its like totally dialup (Yer ruddy greyt eggwap)

southern what? southern comfort?

no, we don't grunt when we dance. we smile :smile:

man i've totally had to revert to dial up because my neighbors turned their modem off...bastards ( i guess that showed me huh)

Southern superior linguistical skills

haha you smile? When you dance ballet as a boy? I'd like to see that
Reply 64
SlyPie
man i've totally had to revert to dial up because my neighbors turned their modem off...bastards ( i guess that showed me huh)

yup
SlyPie
Southern superior linguistical skills

thats a contradiction in itself (southern superior) so we'll ignore that statement of fiction...
SlyPie
haha you smile? When you dance ballet as a boy? I'd like to see that

i smile occasionally. but i never done ballet funnily enough
Reply 65
SlyPie
Over-generalization, smover-generalization. Nothing ever said can truly 100% represent a population; however many times stereotypes can be true.

I didn't add the bit about my college until later. Prior till, I only had in my signature "Why are Oxbridge students so arrogant? 25% accepted".. which is actually a statistically accurate number given to me by Oxbridge students.

I simply added that bit about my college because I do not want them to think I envy them because that's not my point with my signature.

The point is simply why they look down on other UK universities and adamantly think that they're better than American universities (and much of the time, even Harvard). I simply find that rather pompous, so I decided to start my signature in somewhat of a protest.

However after receiving several of those "oh because you're lower" messages (which number in quite a few), I decided to add that into my signature in order not to give the wrong idea with my signature. My point is not to show that my university is better, but to show that it's not envy that perpetuates my signature, but the simple recognition that yes they do generally in fact think they are better than all other UK universities (unfairly might I add), and much of the time all American universities.

Edit: I've clarified my signature to more accurately depict my point.

fair enough. and also yes, it's true that some oxbridge students do look down on students from other universities. i'm just trying to say that i actually think that those who are arrogant and up-themselves are in the minority - 20 people from my year at school got in to oxbridge, of whom i'd say that one fits the oxbridge stereotype. the rest are normal (both in terms of looks and ego), and none of them have made a big song and dance about being accepted. you may have had some bad experiences with oxbridge students on the site, but i was just trying to point out that, considering that your college is the us equivalent, if not superior, you ought to know that the steretypes which surround prestigious academic instituions (and although i know that oxford and cambridge are not always the number one university for every subject, you can't deny that they do tend to occupy spaces among the top few universities of the league tables nearly every year, so i would include them in this category) are not necessarily true.
what looks good on a guy at the moment.....a pair of stone washed jeans....pair of white trainers.....a sexy vintage t-shirt and classy blazer jacket......I love that look ^_^ xoxo
tammy_girl
what looks good on a guy at the moment.....a pair of stone washed jeans....pair of white trainers.....a sexy vintage t-shirt and classy blazer jacket......I love that look ^_^ xoxo

Wasn't that like 3 years ago?
SamTheMan
Wasn't that like 3 years ago?

lolol it may be but i really like that look it just suits some fellas nicely :smile: xoxo
Mata

For general inspiration go to www.urbanoutfitters.com (there is a store in london but doesn't have too much by way of menswear). Especially useful is the 'blazer' section of menswear which shows different blazers and how to wear them. 'Pants' gives you non-jeans options. 'Basics' is a real gem.

Urban Outfitters? Yuck that's like the epitomy of no-style whatsoever.

Then again, I'm saying that while wearing an UO top but only because it has a funny picture on it.

Just seems like the place to go for "no-class" clothes.
tammy_girl
lolol it may be but i really like that look it just suits some fellas nicely :smile: xoxo

I was just pulling your leg, although I'd rather die than be seen wearing plain white shoes and a jacket, and stonewashed/sandblast jeans... mainly because of the white shoes: too chavvy. The rest is great.
SamTheMan
I was just pulling your leg, although I'd rather die than be seen wearing plain white shoes and a jacket, and stonewashed/sandblast jeans... mainly because of the white shoes: too chavvy. The rest is great.

usually they have to work with white cause the t-shirt would be sometimes white..... over here that wouldnt be thought of as chavvy, the jean and shirt opened to their navel would look chavvy over here.......ohhhh its awful :frown: xoxo
tammy_girl
usually they have to work with white cause the t-shirt would be sometimes white..... over here that wouldnt be thought of as chavvy, the jean and shirt opened to their navel would look chavvy over here.......ohhhh its awful :frown: xoxo

I just hate the white shoes in that attire. It just makes you look like you're trying to be trendy but lack class completely. Just end up looking like an arrogant prick in the end.
what about warmer stuff for colder weather?
galadriel100
Polo shirts (pink is nice)
long sleeved shirts
I think 'suit' jackets are nice.

If you stay away from the all-black outfits (the 'satanic club' in Rundle Mall), tracksuits and football shorts, you should attract a 'classy girl'. And don't wear shiny black shoes with gold buckles!!

I wear stuff like that but it's not really good in the cold weather we have at the moment! :frown:
The jumper granny knitted for you, preferably with a reindeer on the front if you have several such jumpers...
mrt84
I wear stuff like that but it's not really good in the cold weather we have at the moment! :frown:

Yeah, well it should warm up soon. you'll need to buy a warm jacket/jumper then. I was looking for one today but I couldn't find any nice looking ones-guys or girls.
SamTheMan
I just hate the white shoes in that attire. It just makes you look like you're trying to be trendy but lack class completely. Just end up looking like an arrogant prick in the end.

yeah i know what ya mean there completely ^_^ lot of fellas I know try to look classy.......but they arent and it shows unfortunately :rolleyes: lol xoxo
a rugby shirt and jeans.......gurgle drool......
or just a rugby kit, all muddy and yummy...

i likey suits as well, but guys can sometimes feel unconfortable and so they then don't have as much confidence...and so they look less attractive.

most guys look good in anything abercrombie stylee too.....
My ideal guy would wear the following:

Adidas Y3 Tank Top
Baggy/Skater YSL Rive Gauche Couture Jeans
Ice Cream trainers

Latest