The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is the UCAS deadline the 4th or the 5th of May, because on track it says the 4th, but then on the UCAS website and a text they sent me, it says the 5th!

Also, I've heard that when they send you a letter after you've firmed etc they give you a while to change it. Is this only true for people who have firmed way before their deadline?

Thanks
You might be able to transfer once you get there, or in your second year, if you pass the first year well enough. You may have to do pharmacy for a year, but at least it's experience...

Otherwise, gap year it, and reapply!
There are UCAS Extra places at Leeds University in:

Arabic & Islamic Studies (TVP6) 4FT Hon BA
Arabic & Middle Eastern Studies (QT46) 4FT Hon BA
Islamic Studies (V622) 3FT Hon BA
Middle Eastern Studies (T600) 3FT Hon BA

I'd try and get a place on one of those and then try and transfer to Arabic and IR when I got there.

Good luck :smile:
Whatever it says on your track is your deadline.
SupernovaNebula
Thanks, but you can't go through clearing after firming can you? I'm soo stupid for making the decision without thinking properly!! *sigh

You'd have to phone the uni you've firmed to ask that they release you; I've never heard of a course refusing to release someone and when the course is as competitive as pharmacy it won't be an issue. It's best to have informal talks with the other course before you do this to get agreement that they would give you a place, otherwise you could end up with nothing.
Reply 185
Bristol Economics and Management
OR
Edinburgh Economics MA (4-year)
???
Bristol.
Reply 187
This is really for feedback - I know the choice is my own and all but I would really like some assistance!

I have an AAA offer from York for History which I wish to firm. However, my second favourite uni by a mile is Leeds, which gave me the same offer. And my least favourite is UEA, which is ABB/AA (I already have a B in Classics A2) but it is my natural insurance! The course was good at UEA but the distance is a problem.

I would love to insurance Leeds - however I emailed the Admissions Tutor there who told me that whilst last year everyone got in with AAB, the year before no one did. They seem to be a bit more lenient than York, and UniStats shows that at least some people got in with AAB - but I have no clarification on whether those who got AAB made it there firm (and therefore I assume would get 'first dibs'), and this isn't exactly reassuring figures for an insurance.

It is mainly my fear that I will slip a grade in a subject and miss my offer - I did well on my AS modules last year so may only need to get BCC/CCD (I don't really know without English coursework marks and I don't trust this whole 'I need an C to get an A' malarky anyway) to get 3 As but it is so easy to mess up...

I guess I am really seeking reassurance on an internet forum, I know, quite a desperate thing - but I just don't want to end up in a place I don't want to be in!
It is simple: if you have an offer from a university you definitely wouldn't be happy to attend, don't accept it - even as an insurance.
Good bloke
It is simple: if you have an offer from a university you definitely wouldn't be happy to attend, don't accept it - even as an insurance.

^ Good advice. Otherwise, you end up like me getting on for a year ago. It worked out well for me, but other people aren't as lucky.

Do you have no other offers? Assuming you don't, in your position I would firm York and insure Leeds. You have nothing to lose by it. :smile:
Reply 190
SupernovaNebula
Basically I firmed Pharmacy on Ucas but I have managed to do some work experience recently and I've realised it's just not for me :s-smilie:

I know I should have done the work experience before applying but I couldn't get a placement.

Anyway..alongside my A levels I've been doing an Islamic Theology and Jurisprudence Course and I really enjoy Arabic and would love to do the Arabic and International relations degree at Leeds University. I know its a completely different field to pharmacy but I got rejected from medicine a while ago and at the time Pharmacy seemed a good idea...

So I emailed the head of the Arabic department yesterday, asking whether it would be possible at all to be considered for September. He said no and that no offers are being made now but I should contact him in August after the publication of A level results.

Now I've emailed him again asking whether in August I should contact him directly? Will I still be able to change my decision if for some miraculous reason they did say yes even after firming for Pharmacy? Alsol I don't feel I made a strong enough case, I can speak Pushto, Hinco and Urdu fluently and I honestly think I'm good enough, so shall I write to him again explaining my situation and why I think I should be considered (begging) or should I just wait?

Its so depressing- the thought of having to study pharamacy for the next 5 years of my life. I don't have the option of wating next year and applying, for personal reasons.. although a pharmacy degree is 5 years and the former is 4..

Any advice will be much appreciated
If you really don't want to do Pharmacy, ask the uni concerned to release you now. You may then be eligible for Extra, but if not you will certainly be eligible for Clearing from the start, and can make some enquiries before Clearing opens on Results Day. I would try not to focus on just one course option though - you need to be more flexible than that, unless of course you don't mind a gap year (which is certainly a better option than wasting a year's worth of loans on a course you know you don't want to do).

See also the first post in the thread I've moved this into :smile:
Reply 191
Right, I've been getting better grades than expected and have been considering changing course and such. I've currently got 4 offers from computer science in Birmingham (ABB), Aston (BBB), Leicester (BBB) and Liverpool (ABB). I'm thinking my firm and insurance are Birmingham and Aston, however...

Is it possible to choose my firm and insurance and then decline the firm after I've received my grades because it's possible I can go into a much better course with my new grades? If it's possible, how hard would it be to do and will I be in a hard situation applying for other universities next year if I manage to reject my firm?

I need to accept my firm and insurance by Tuesday so I need to know asap.
Reply 192
You can decide to withdraw from UCAS anytime, however if you decide to reapply next year it would be best to withdraw after results day as soon as possible, so that the university you declined has good time to fill up their empty place.
Reply 193
So I can decline my Firm insurance after I receive my results? If I withdraw from UCAS, I can apply through UCAS again in 2011? Thanks
Dodi1991
Right, I've been getting better grades than expected and have been considering changing course and such. I've currently got 4 offers from computer science in Birmingham (ABB), Aston (BBB), Leicester (BBB) and Liverpool (ABB). I'm thinking my firm and insurance are Birmingham and Aston, however...

Is it possible to choose my firm and insurance and then decline the firm after I've received my grades because it's possible I can go into a much better course with my new grades? If it's possible, how hard would it be to do and will I be in a hard situation applying for other universities next year if I manage to reject my firm?

Read the sticky thread on UCAS Adjustment, which is the most likely solution to your problem. But don't hold your breath for a "better" place as you may go very blue in the face.
Dodi1991
So I can decline my Firm insurance after I receive my results? If I withdraw from UCAS, I can apply through UCAS again in 2011? Thanks

Withdrawing your application
If you decide you don't want to go to university or college this year, you can withdraw completely from the UCAS scheme. Please tell us as soon as possible, preferably by mid-September, so that the course(s) can be offered to someone else. We will let your chosen universities and colleges know that you have withdrawn. You can reapply next year if you'd like to.

If you have withdrawn from the scheme but, for exceptional reasons, you want to re-enter it, please contact us for advice.

Source: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offers/makingchanges

However, if you want to study the course you've already applied for and at the places you've already applied for, is it really in your best interest to reapply?
Dodi1991

yes and yes... just the same universitie may be less keen to re-consider you!!!
whereever you think you'd be happier
Reply 198
bacforever3
yes and yes... just the same universitie may be less keen to re-consider you!!!
Not true. People withdraw from UCAS even on Results Day for all sorts of reasons - and it won't be held against you.
Reply 199
Dodi1991

You should choose a firm and insurance you would be happy to go to whatever happens. If on Results Day you have exceeded your Firm offer you can register for Adjustment and try to 'trade up'. If you are unsuccessful in doing that, and would rather take the risk of reapplying instead of taking the firm place you have, you can still withdraw from UCAS and start all over again for 2011 entry.

Latest

Trending

Trending